It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:57 am

Free Newsletter

When to eat before exercise

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

When to eat before exercise

Postby jazzyjas » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Ok this may seem an easy one but i am totally clueless it seems.
My question is, When is it the best time to eat first thing in the morning before or after exercise? I am currently in the planning phase of regular diet and exercise putting it all together but are stumped on this one. I am starting with a kickstart diet,little light walking followed by cardio but don't want to feel like i have no energy during my exercise. Also if i should eat before morning excercise how long should i wait before commencing exercise?. The same question does apply to the evening. My work roster switches from mornings to evenings frequently so do the same rules apply for dinner? Dang! wish i paid more attention to this at school lol

Cheers
jazzyjas

Re: When to eat before exercise

Postby loveat116 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:45 pm

It is really up to you.

I find that I can do gentle exercise (walking.. even riding 6km to work) on an empty stomach.

But hard cardio I simply do not have the energy, so I will eat something small (banana or a slice of bread, or 1/2 my dinner) 30-60 minutes before exercise.

So I think 30 minutes is enough, or straight away would be ok for something like a banana. Don't drink heaps of water before you exercise as that can be uncomfortable... drink water earlier in the day.

For exercising after dinner... i'd wait 30 minutes after eating.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Mandie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:38 pm

i'm the same, i dont exercise until half an hour to an hour after a big meal like dinner, else i feel like vomiting! but i can't exercise on a totally empty stomach because i am rather prone to fainting and getting dizzy.. so i usually have something like a banana or an apple or something like that half an hour before i go exercise. best way is to try out what works for you really, every body is different - have a go at eating and not eating and different foods and see what suits you best!
Mandie

Postby Fiona25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 pm

My routine is to have my breakfast THEN exercise anywhere from 1 hour onwards after i've eaten. But i'm up by 6:30 most mornings so I have time.

Once a week I do a 6:30am martial arts class and as I live out of town I have to be up at 5:30 to get ready and leave. So on that day I eat a protein/muesli bar, do the class, get home (1/2 hour later) then have breakfast.

I always wait at least 30mins after a meal to eat. Usually an hour if I have time, i'm generally not really hungry until 1hr after exericse.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby bferbear » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:28 pm

I train at 5.30 in the morning, I find that I get up at 4.45, have a whey protein shake or a banana, train, then eat breakfast around 7am.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfrtWWa/]
[/url]
bferbear

Return to Ask the Mob