It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:38 am

Free Newsletter

Any tips on losing sodium related fluid?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Any tips on losing sodium related fluid?

Postby Czarina » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:10 am

Stupid me had Noodle Box for dinner last night, forgot about all of the sodium I would be consuming until we were ordering :oops: and now, predictably, I am weighing in a over a kilo more than yesterday. I was going to be getting a loss of 1kg+ this week, but after all of that salt...

So does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of it quickly? I am going to drink loads of water in an attempt to flush it out of my system, and obviously stay away from the evil salt! So besides that, and sweating it out (shouldn't be too hard today, seeing as it's supposed to be 35 degrees...)with heaps of exercise, can anybody help?
Czarina

Re: Any tips on losing sodium related fluid?

Postby hysterical_oliver » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:45 am

I think water sounds like a pretty good plan Czar, I wouldn't be too worried about it shifting straight away, sometimes it might take a couple of days. Don't be too disheartened, I bet you enjoyed the food :mrgreen:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:39 am

Natural diuretics could help. They help the flow of urine so you lose fluids quicker. You can buy diuretic pills over the counter, but there are natural diuretics in certain foods.

- Green tea
- Cranberry juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dandelion tea
- Nettle
- Fennel
- Alcohol and caffeine are both diuretics, but can have negative effects on weight loss so think carefully before relying on them.
- Ironically fruit and veg that contain a lot of water increase urination so act as a diuretic. Watermelon and cucumber for example.

Make sure you also consume potassium to replace what you will lose with the urine. It's important not to abuse diuretics because it can lead to potassium deficiency.

To be honest I'd just drink a little more water than usual and wait for nature to take its course. Don't fret too much about the extra fluid. It will eventually leave your body so there's no real need to rush it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Czarina » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks guys. I just drank plenty of water, ate lots of fruit and veg (including potassium rich ones) and sweated up a storm through exercise and it worked! Fluid gone, yay!
Czarina

Return to Ask the Mob