It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight loss after accident

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Weight loss after accident

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:51 am

Hi everyone :)

Ok, so most of you know my story...last Wednesday I was riding home on my scooter (50cc yamaha) and was in the left lane when a car started coming across from the right lane. I breaked and beeped and he went straight back into his lane. Then, he just decided to come over again...I breaked but couldn't stop quick enough, he hit me and I obviously came off.

I hit the road and my bike came on top of me. All the cars around me stopped and someone pulled the bike off me. Luckily there was an ambulance about 5 cars back so they came and took me away to hospital.

Its a good thing I wear a proper motorbike helmet and not one of those half head ones a lot of people on scooters wear. My helmet was totalled...

They thought I'd broken my ankle and / or my foot but xrays have cleared that but I've done some ligament damage so I'm on crutches. Also, the way I fell, the handle bars went right into my abdomen so I'm very bruised there - thats all ok too. I'm just scraped and bruised EVERYWHERE! My legs, arms, hip, pelvis and my right foot - which is so sore it might as well be broken!!

Anyway - sorry to rehash that to everyone who already knows....but here is my question...

I weighed myself this morning and I'm down to 70.5kgs. I said something to my partner since I've been eating [email protected] and obviously can't exercise and he said I'd be losing muscle.

How do I get the muscle back, but keep my weight heading south?? I'm scared to get back to the gym and see my numbers go back up...?

Any advice would be fantastic!! Thanks guys :D

All in all, I'm VERY sore - funny enough feel like I've been hit by a car - but very, VERY lucky. I could've very easily have broken something - including my neck. The police told me I came off the right way because if I'd tried to veer to the left to avoid the car, I would've ended up being run over by the car in the lane turning left...

The driver has accepted full responsibility and the police are happy with all reports (they came to visit me in hospital!) so now it's just recovery time....think I'll be missing the gym for a while...?!?!?!?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Re: Weight loss after accident

Postby Tarz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:02 am

Hey Ali

Hopes your feeling less sore every day. Maybe when your scrapes heel up a bit you can be a water baby for a bit, go swimming at your gym if they have a pool, I have never had any injuries like that so i'm not sure if it would work but if swimming is good for people with sore muscles and joints it would be good for people with sore bones right?

Tara
Tarz

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks Tarz :)

I'm dying to get into pool as I think it will really help, but I think it will take a fair while for the wound on my foot to heal which is a bugger...

I was thinking of doing some upper body weights until I can get in the pool, but I don't want my weight to sky rocket if I get my muscle tone back!!! Just not sure how to avoid this?! :?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby big_love » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:59 am

what about something gentle...some pilates or yoga? Do you have a fit ball? Im sorry Ali, I have no idea :oops: trying to help though...dont want you to bite my head off you cranky beeeeatch :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hope your feeling better hunni muffin :D :mrgreen:
140/117/85
big_love

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 am

big_love wrote:Im sorry Ali, I have no idea :oops: trying to help though...dont want you to bite my head off you cranky beeeeatch :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SMACK!!!!

Ahahaha!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Tam xoxox
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:06 pm

I don't know if there's much you can do at the moment to prevent muscle loss. It's probably best to concentrate on getting well first and then worry about getting fit again. Once you're up to it you could certainly use some hand-weights to rebuild tone but only do it when the doctor says you're up to it! The last thing you need to do is slow down your recovery process.

Another way to get your heart-rate up and get some cardio might be through a pedal-exerciser. You can use them for your arms as well as your legs and since they're commonly used in physical rehabilitation it would most likely be a safe, gentle and effective way to get back into exercise. But again, get your doctor's approval first!

Pedal exerciser: http://www.oo.com.au/Pedal_Exerciser_P6083.cfm
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Thanks Dr Ali :P

It occurred to me while I was reading your reply, that I really am being silly!!! I got hit by a bloody car and all I'm worried about is not putting on weight!! You're right - I think I need to look at my priorities and get myself better before I even think about going to the gym, exercise, etc.

All I can do right now is get lots of sleep, keep eating right and drink lots of water (esp in this bloody heat wave!)....I'll think about my weight later....and when i do, I'm gonna be after you again!!

Thanks chick xo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:15 pm

No worries! You know, that's the biggest thing I'm looking forward to when I finally get my PhD thesis completed. Being able to say to people "Trust me. I'm a doctor!" :wink: :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:32 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Being able to say to people "Trust me. I'm a doctor!" :wink: :lol:

Never trust someone that says trust me!!! Ahahahahahahahaha! :mrgreen: :wink:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby Mandie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:32 pm

I love saying "trust me, I'm a doctor", I say it all the time! But not to real patients - because yeah, nobody trusts you if you say trust me lol!!

Ali - focussing on getting better is probably the best idea!

As for worrying about the scales going up as you gain muscle - remember that muscle is a good thing! Sure, it weighs more than fat but it takes up less space, so while you may have a small initial gain on the scales as you re-gain muscle, you will lose cm and be much healthier and fitter! And your metabolism speeds up the more muscle you have, so you will start losing fat again. Don't stress about it! Just focus yourself on getting healthy and well! :)
Mandie

Postby ali76 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:42 pm

I've been waiting for you Dr Mandie!! :P

I think the whole mental issue of 'putting on weight' even knowing it's muscle scares me. BUT - I am taking doctors orders and not worrying about that until the time comes....I'm doing what I can, which is making sure I eat well and drink lots of water....

Well - that's my mind set for today anyway...the emotional rollercoaster I seem to be on, you could well see me trying to do a step class tomorrow!! Ahahaha!

Thanks guys MWAH xoxoxoxo
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby lng86 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:03 pm

I only just saw this post!

YOU POOR THING.

Look after yourself. And like you have recently acknowledged - you got hit by a car... You're alive - don't worry about your weight. Just be grateful that your injuries aren't much worse. You lucky thing!

Good luck in the step class. Just take it easy... You will reach goal - I guarantee that. Just be sensible with your food in the mean time - and hopefully you make a speedy recovery.

Hugs,
Lauren.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby nutzy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:47 am

Bummer about the accident - what a terrible shock it must have been - and not surprised you are feeling sore! I'm a big baby and would be moaning non stop if it were me! Hope you start feeling better soon, and back on your (both) :D feet again. I am sure that you'll be fine weight wise if you still are eating sensibly but don't do anything silly exercise wise too soon. Let your body recover before you start anything, or else find out from your doctor what he suggests you do.

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Return to Ask the Mob