It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:46 am

Free Newsletter

Sit ups

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Sit ups

Postby patmel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi all
I have been doing 10 sit ups at night for the past 2 nights i know its not long but i was wondering when will the tummy muscles stop hurting. Does anyone know if i should stop doing the sit ups until they heal or should i keep going.
I tried to start my exercise small but i don't know how much more i can take of this.

Re: Sit ups

Postby Sussy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Hey mate,

10 is a good number, and unfortunately it will hurt for a little while until the muscles are used to the exercise, but DO keep going. Eventually you will find that you will even be able to increase the amount you do, even if only little by little. However if you're in severe pain, maybe try doing them every other say until you get used to it.

Keep up the good work mate, you know the old saying "no pain, no gain".

PS: i do sit ups too and I HATE them, they're my least favorite exercise.

Re: Sit ups

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 pm

When doing resistance work or building muscle it's actually better to wait at least a day between work-outs. That gives the muscle time to repair and rebuild, which is what makes the muscle stronger. If you keep working those muscles out while they are repairing you're not giving them a chance to get stronger which defeats the purpose of the work-out! If your muscles ache it's probably because the microtears haven't been repaired yet. Wait until it's not hurting so much to do sit-ups again. Over time you'll find your muscles develop so that they don't ache for as long between work-outs.

Even if it doesn't hurt always give your body a rest day after resistance work so that it can build muscle. Maybe work some other muscle groups instead in the mean-time, things like push-ups or leg lifts for example. Or use that time to do cardio work instead. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Return to Ask the Mob