It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:18 am

Free Newsletter

Protein Shakes

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Protein Shakes

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi Guys - My trainer at the gym recently suggested that I try protein drinks after dinner to try and curb my sweet cravings. She suggested buying a vanilla flavoured one and adding some frozen berries to it to make it sort of like a smoothie.

I was wondering if anyone else uses a protein shake? If so can you please tell me:

a) the brand
b) the price (if you can remember)
c) how many cals per 100g
d) how much sat fat per 100g
e) how much protein per 100g

I'm trying to find the right one to suit my needs and also one that others have used and trust. Thanks!!!
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Re: Protein Shakes

Postby loveat116 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:04 pm

I would go with the brand Musashi.

You can find it at big chemists and health food stores, the best ones to go with are high protein (over 20g per serve) and low to no carbs.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby hysterical_oliver » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:07 pm

This may sound silly but I have absolutely no experience with protein shakes, what are they used for? Are they appropriate for just about anyone? Are they a meal replacement option? I have this image of body builders when ever anyone says anything about them lol so naive...
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby MagicGirl79 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Protein shakes are very similar to slim shakes, fat loss shakes etc - they simply vary in what they're composed of.

Some shakes, such as the one I hope to use is lower in calories, but higher in protein. Again, designed to fill you up and can be used as a snack throughout the day. Not generally used a meal replacement because there really isn't much to it - it wouldn't be high enough in carbs & calories to be used as a meal replacement.

Some of them are designed to be muscle bulkers, but I think you need to be doing a lot of weights in addition to taking the protein in order to get that bulk. These ones tend to have creatine added to them and creatine is really bad for kidneys, so not recommended unless you're a body builder who is making lots of money and therefore can afford a kidney operation later on :wink:
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Tarz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:51 pm

When i went to the gym this morning one of the trainers was telling me about their slimming protein shakes. She told me you have them after a work out to help repair the muscles after a strength workout and it also helps to speed up the metabolism. I tried it, $4 for a popper size and wasn't to fust on the taste. I would also like to learn more about the protein shake thing because if they are a good thing to help with weight loss and for use after workouts then maybe its worth spending a bit of money on.
Tarz

Postby Tarz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:37 pm

I just bit the bullet and went into a vitamins store and asked the shop keep about them. She directed me to the Musashi WPI (whey protein isolate). She told me the same thing as the trainer at the gym, that it is good to have after a strength workout to help repair the muscles. She also told me that it is good to have at night before bed because it is high in protein and low in carbs and calories so your body will keep burning it off while you sleep which assists in weightloss. This one is not a meal replacement. It cost $31 for the 400gram box (it was aparently on special) Instead of saying what the contents are per 100g i'll say what it is per serve.
one serve is two scoops of the powder (30gm) and 250-300ml milk or water (or half and half). It comes in chocolate or vanilla but they were sold out of vanilla when i went.
Cal = 120
protein = 26.6g
carbs = 0.4g
fat = 0.5g
I'm gonna try it out when i get home from my walk/jog in the evenings then go to bed. Hope this helps. If your still not sure go into a store that sells mainly that sort of thing and ask lots of questions.
Tarz

Postby hysterical_oliver » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for all that Tarz, keep up posted on how the Musashi goes :)
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby MagicGirl79 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Hey Tarz, I actually did the exact same thing the other day. I was in the city with my hubby and we went past a GCM sotre (I think that's what it's called, or similar anyway) and went in and asked the dude heaps of Q's.

They didn't stock the Musashi brand, but he advised two main ones - one of them was exactly like the musashi brand (a whey isolate) and the other one had an extra kicker that supposedly blocks carb absorption.

The carb blocker one was over $100 for 1kg, the whey isolate was $70 for 1kg. I was a bit dubious and concerned about the carb blocker anyway, but the price was the clincher. I bought just the whey isolate. It's a massive tub, so have to make sure I use it now to get the usage out of it!!!

The contents are pretty much exact as yours, just a little bit of difference (per serve 28g):
Cal: 100
Fat: 0.8g (0.3 sat fat)
Carb: 0.8g
Protein: 24g

So pretty much the same details. I used mine the other night before hockey training because I didn't want to eat a big meal, but wanted something in my stomach. It didn't really give me the energy hit I needed, so will use it post hockey now and stick with a piece of fruit before.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby talia11 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:46 pm

MagicGirl79 wrote:Protein shakes are very similar to slim shakes, fat loss shakes etc - they simply vary in what they're composed of.

Some shakes, such as the one I hope to use is lower in calories, but higher in protein. Again, designed to fill you up and can be used as a snack throughout the day. Not generally used a meal replacement because there really isn't much to it - it wouldn't be high enough in carbs & calories to be used as a meal replacement.

Some of them are designed to be muscle bulkers, but I think you need to be doing a lot of weights in addition to taking the protein in order to get that bulk. These ones tend to have creatine added to them and creatine is really bad for kidneys, so not recommended unless you're a body builder who is making lots of money and therefore can afford a kidney operation later on :wink:

I hjave just spoken to my husband who used to be a Physical Training Instructor in the Army -0 He does the whole shake thing etc for body building - he says it does not affect your kidneys - in fact it is made naturally in the body - the supplement is used to increase your intake of creatine which increases your energy.... :D
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby talia11 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:48 pm

MagicGirl79 wrote:Protein shakes are very similar to slim shakes, fat loss shakes etc - they simply vary in what they're composed of.

I hjave just spoken to my husband who used to be a Physical Training Instructor in the Army - He does the whole shake thing etc for body building - he says it does not affect your kidneys - in fact it is made naturally in the body - the supplement is used to increase your intake of creatine which increases your energy.... :D
He also says that creatine is nothign to do with bodybuilding it is just that bodybuilders use it to get better workouts and increase the intensity - anyone can use it.

talia11

Postby MagicGirl79 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Hey Talia - thanks for that.

I've been doing some research on the net about creatine and apparently the negative talk about it stems from the fact that the metabolism of creatine can produce creatinine. This is the bad thing that can damage you kidneys, but apparently only if you have a genetic or other pre-disposition to kidney malfunction. And so this has caused a lot of the bad press - there have been many studies done and none have been able to show any negative effect on kidney function on healthy individuals.

It isn't recommended for people wishing to lose weight however, because it can cause you to gain weight (through water bloating). It is only recommended for those wishing to bulk up and increase their weight repetitions. It does not help with fitness, only helps with muscle repair and muscles being able to perform better.

Found some interesting reading, so thanks for prompting me with that Talia.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby talia11 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:12 pm

:D

talia11

Postby madgicsh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:43 am

A LOT easier, nicer, lower cost and lower in carbohydrates is Protein Bars - try Atkins Endulge bars from the vitamins & supplements area in Woolworths supermarkets. I pay $2.29 each for a chocolate, nougat and peanut bar that only has 1 gram of carbs in it - and TASTES GREAT!

Better yet, try eating low fat, high protein food like grilled chicken breasts (without skin) and you won't need a supplement. :lol:
Madgic1
HW 110kg
LW 62kg
GW 65kg
CW 80.5kg

Exercise hurts less than looking in the mirror

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTlMxqm/]
[/url]
madgicsh

Postby MelbGirl08 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:12 am

Hey there guys,

I thought I'd put my 2 cents in! :D

I'm currently on the Ketosystem and as part of the program, it is recommended I have a protein snack during the day to keep the hunger at bay and give me that "full tummy" feeling.

I have to add here that I'm feeling fantastic - this is my 3rd day and I have yet to experience hunger AND its almost "that" time of the month. Sweet! MInd you, I've done the Ketosystem in the past and lost almost 14kg in about 2 months and then went back to Zinger Burgers! (lack of motivation).

I'm using the Metagenics Ketoslim, which is basically a protein shake/supplement (it comes in Choc, Vanilla and Strawberry).

Per Serving (16g) - mixed with water:

Protein: 8.0 g
Fat: 0.2 g
Energy: 167.4 kj / 40 cal
Fibre: 0.9 g
Carb: 0.9 g

I would recommend it to anyone who is on a ketogenic diet - it really makes a difference.

Cheers!
MelbGirl08

Postby MelbGirl08 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:13 am

madgicsh wrote:A LOT easier, nicer, lower cost and lower in carbohydrates is Protein Bars - try Atkins Endulge bars from the vitamins & supplements area in Woolworths supermarkets. I pay $2.29 each for a chocolate, nougat and peanut bar that only has 1 gram of carbs in it - and TASTES GREAT!

Better yet, try eating low fat, high protein food like grilled chicken breasts (without skin) and you won't need a supplement. :lol:

I LOVE those Atkins bars! They're fantastic.
MelbGirl08

Next

Return to Ask the Mob