It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:16 am

Free Newsletter

Protein Shakes

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Protein Shakes

Postby hysterical_oliver » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 pm

MelbGirl08 wrote:
madgicsh wrote:A LOT easier, nicer, lower cost and lower in carbohydrates is Protein Bars - try Atkins Endulge bars from the vitamins & supplements area in Woolworths supermarkets. I pay $2.29 each for a chocolate, nougat and peanut bar that only has 1 gram of carbs in it - and TASTES GREAT!

Better yet, try eating low fat, high protein food like grilled chicken breasts (without skin) and you won't need a supplement. :lol:

I LOVE those Atkins bars! They're fantastic.

$2.29?!??!?!?!?!?!?! I had to pay $4.20each today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRANKY****** :evil:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Almostskinny » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:01 pm

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask the question here?

When's the best time to have a protein shake, before or after a work out?

It's almost over now, almost over now - N*E*R*D
Almostskinny

Postby Tarz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:19 pm

After a work out to help repair the muscle.
Tarz

Postby Almostskinny » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Hmm thats what I've been told but I take the Musashi (sp?) one's and on the back it says to take during a workout so yeah Im confused to just when to take it

Almostskinny

Postby Tarz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:47 pm

If the container itself self says to take it during a workout then maybe just follow it and make time to go to where you bou=ght it or another store that sells it and ask them. They should know he best.
Tarz

Postby Almostskinny » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:47 pm

Lol I actually bought it from Coles so I doubt they would know. It says conjunction on the back so I assume that means around workout times.

I'll probably stick to having it before my workout as it keeps my fuller longer and should still help with muscle building. Thanx Tarz

Almostskinny

Postby MelbGirl08 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:39 pm

I just normally follow the instructions on the back...but you've got it good there, take it when it suits you the best. :)
MelbGirl08

Postby Tarz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:31 am

hysterical_oliver wrote:Thanks for all that Tarz, keep up posted on how the Musashi goes :)

Well i i have been through my small container and thought i should let you know what i thought of it.
The first two weigh ins i had lost 1 kg at each (last weigh in wasn't so good but i think that was because motivation was wavering) and have definately found i have gained muscle. I found that if i took it after going to the gym i would not be sore the next day and i have worked really hard, When i used to go to the gym i would be really really sore the next day but now i am able to work harder knowing i won't be sore. If i had it before bed it would definately cover the midnight munchies. i would be fine until breakfast the next morning. And i loved the taste! So i think i will go ahead and buy the bigger container.
Will continue to go to the gym in the evening and have the shake before bed. I think its worth it!
Tarz

Postby skitso » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 pm

I had tried Nutra-Life's Carb Lite but wasn't too keen on the taste.

What I think is nice is SlimWise.
Flavours are Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry + Expresso.

They call it a meal replacement. I don't have the nutritional info with me right now but I think SlimWise is pretty good.

I like this because it's convenient. Also I don't like eating a lot during the day as it makes me feel weigh down so I usually have SlimWise for lunch.

I got SlimWise online last year from edited website advert..
I'm definitely not promoting or flogging the product but I had difficulty finding something palatable and now that I have I just want to share!

Cheers!
skitso

Postby frosty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am

hi i would like to say i have tried every meal replacement going and after no success i have now lost a total of 37.3kg. i use ISOWHEY i get it online at epharmacy or if you have one in your area chemist warehouse. it really is the best and it isnt over sweet so you dont get sick of it. i add a pinch of xanthan gum and guar gum ( you can buy this in supermarkets or ebay cheap ) it thickens the shake a bit more, but warning i mix these gums together in a tub and i add just a small pinch to my shake and shake it up with lots of ice. dont be tempted to use more than a pinch or you will have a thick mess. anyway i only have one shake now ( lunch ) i have it then as i do my workouts mid morning and yes it helps with recovery. highly reccomend it. :D :D
frosty

Postby saffy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:38 am

I tried the Tony Ferguson shakes a few years back and found that after a few days, the underlying protein powder smell and taste made me heave. If you're going to try protein shakes, whether for weight loss or muscle building, can I suggest you buy a small portion to try first?
saffy

Previous

Return to Ask the Mob