It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:43 am

Free Newsletter

Protein Drinks and Bars

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Protein Drinks and Bars

Postby hysterical_oliver » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Why on earth do they taste so ...FOUL!!???? I thought I would try a high protein diet including a protein bar and Musashi brand protein drink and OMG! Appart from being pretty expensive they are just plain awful!

Does anyone know of any drinks/bars that are
1) cheaper than $4 a pop?
2) actually taste ok?

On the brighter side after only one day packed full of protein I noticed a loss already (probably water from carb overload the past few days...) so we'll see how it goes :mrgreen:
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Re: Protein Drinks and Bars

Postby MelbGirl08 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:02 pm

hysterical_oliver wrote:Why on earth do they taste so ...FOUL!!???? I thought I would try a high protein diet including a protein bar and Musashi brand protein drink and OMG! Appart from being pretty expensive they are just plain awful!

Does anyone know of any drinks/bars that are
1) cheaper than $4 a pop?
2) actually taste ok?

On the brighter side after only one day packed full of protein I noticed a loss already (probably water from carb overload the past few days...) so we'll see how it goes :mrgreen:

Yeah, I know. In the beginning I had problems swallowing mine as well.

Have you tried protein bars instead? They're a little better, but at the end of the day nothing comes close to chocolate! :cry:
MelbGirl08

Postby MelbGirl08 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:03 pm

I have to add here that I've also noticed a loss of about 800g after being on the low carb diet for 4 days. It might as well be the water weight...as long as it comes off! :D
MelbGirl08

Postby SarahC » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:07 pm

That's the best thing about the low carb diet isn't it... the water loss. I hate fluid, it's so good when it's gone!!

Protein bars, my favourite food. I could live on protein bars!! :mrgreen:

The best I have found, value for money wise (and taste wise) is the Aussie Bodies HPLC Bars. A 100g bar has 45g of protein and only 6g carbs. I *normally* don't eat the whole thing in one go, unless I'm having a binge. One bar can be 2, 3 or 4 servings. In the supermarket they are about $5, but considering it's more than one serving per bar then I think that's reasonable. If you look around the online stores, or in some discount health shops, you can get them as low as $3.50. http://www.vitaminme.com.au may still have them at this price....

That's my best recommendation anyway. There's heaps that are delicious :D
SarahC

Postby MelbGirl08 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:14 pm

There are so many of them in that store! There's like, an entire wall stacked just with protein bars! :D Love it!

I prefer the bars to the shakes/liquids, but sometimes I need something warm...I miss my hot choc, especially in winter. :P
MelbGirl08

Postby MelbGirl08 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:19 pm

SarahC wrote:That's the best thing about the low carb diet isn't it... the water loss. I hate fluid, it's so good when it's gone!!

When I went to my naturopath, he did this diagnostic test - he estimated I have roughly about 8 kg of water just floating around in my body - which does not need to be there! Apparently, that's what gives you that "bloated" effect. Some people are overweight, but there are some that really look bloated and its because of this.

He also mentioned that this is due to the fact that I have more water on the outside of my cells than the inside (should be other way around). :P Interesting stuff. I stay right away from carbs now...I've noticed they bloat me really bad.
MelbGirl08

Postby hysterical_oliver » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:57 am

I know fat is the target but h*ll yeah water weight be gone~!

Thanks for the tips guys I will have a look around a bit more, I just got the atkins bars from Woolies when I was there the other day to try them out, they seemed the lowest in carbs too. Those Musashi drinks are almost grainy in texture to drink and the orange ones taste like cough medicine only 100 times worse lol looks like more research is warranted...*spy*
14th September 2007 125kg
Current Weight 102kg
Goal Weight 60kg
hysterical_oliver

Postby Almostskinny » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Hmm I have the Musashi chocolate protein drink and I actually dont mind it. I have two scoops before the gym everyday with my vitamin tablets and I dont mind the taste at all. Its no Milo but not bad.

I have had some very delicious no carb chocolate bars, one particular mint + dark chocolate one was great but I forgot the name. If you visit your health food store you should a whole shelf full of them

It's almost over now, almost over now - N*E*R*D
Almostskinny

Postby Tarz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:08 pm

i actually really like the taste of the protein shake i got. its the musashi WPI chocolate and it doesn't taste grainy to me but we all have different taste. Its best to try different ones yourself to find what you like.
Tarz

Return to Ask the Mob