It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:55 am

Free Newsletter

Morning or Night exerise?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Morning or Night exerise?

Postby Almostskinny » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Currently I excercise first thing in the morning but there's a part of me that believes doing it at night might be better as I could "use" up all my calories from the day.

So can anybody enlighten me? Morning or night?

It's almost over now, almost over now - N*E*R*D
Almostskinny

Re: Morning or Night exerise?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:31 pm

Whatever works for you! Provided you burn the calories I don't think it matters what time of the day you do your exercise. The most important thing is to find a time that works with your body-clock and daily schedule.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 pm

I think there are pros for exercising in the morning or at night, so as EWQ says it's really what works best for you and what you're more likely to maintain. I know I'm not a morning person and so I choose to exercise of a night because if I vowed to get up at 5am to walk/run then I know it would never happen.

If you exercise in the morning before breakfast then you're supposedly burning fat because you haven't eaten yet and so your body doesn't have any other fuels to use when exercising.

If you exercise in the evening then your body continues to burn whilst your sleeping because your body will always continue to burn for several hours after exercise. So you're getting benefit from the exercise when you're resting.

So really, entirely up to you.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby loveat116 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:48 pm

MagicGirl79 wrote:I think there are pros for exercising in the morning or at night, so as EWQ says it's really what works best for you and what you're more likely to maintain. I know I'm not a morning person and so I choose to exercise of a night because if I vowed to get up at 5am to walk/run then I know it would never happen.

If you exercise in the morning before breakfast then you're supposedly burning fat because you haven't eaten yet and so your body doesn't have any other fuels to use when exercising.

If you exercise in the evening then your body continues to burn whilst your sleeping because your body will always continue to burn for several hours after exercise. So you're getting benefit from the exercise when you're resting.

So really, entirely up to you.

Your body burns calories ALL the time, even when you sleep.

It probably isnt best to exercise right before you go to bed, cause you might not get to sleep.

So yeah its up to you!
I like exercising in the morning before breakfast, its usually called fasted cardio, and there is some evidence to suggest that it burns fat more efficiently, but who knows? I just do it so i dont get a stitch from food.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:46 pm

I know your body burns calories all the time, but for a few hours after exercise it's burning calories at an increased rate due to the exercise. I just meant that if you exercise in the evening, this increased calorie burning will continue whilst you're asleep.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:20 am

Another thing to remember is the other benefits of exercise aside from weight-loss.

I tried early morning exercise for a while, but I really prefer running in the evening. Partly because I'm not a morning person and I found it irritating to have to get up early, but also because I have issues with anxiety so exercise is one of the methods of stress-relief I use. So it makes sense for me to exercise in the evening because it relaxes me after a busy day.

As Loveat116 said it's best not to exercise too close to bed-time because it will make it difficult to sleep.

If it's easy to fit into your schedule either way I'd recommend trying morning exercise for a week or two then switching it for evening exercise. That way you can measure the benefits to you directly.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Almostskinny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I decided to continue excercising in the morning a) its more convenient for me, b) I do like the idea of burning more fat and c) It should keep my metabolism working nicely for the rest of the day

It's almost over now, almost over now - N*E*R*D
Almostskinny

Return to Ask the Mob