It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:20 am

Free Newsletter

Healthy Weight loss, How much is ok?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Healthy Weight loss, How much is ok?

Postby jac33au » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:25 pm

During the Biggest looser tonight Cac33 and myself were talking about our goals and our upcoming trip to Bali. I made the comment that i could loose 20kg if i put in 110% (which if any of you who have spoken to cass will know my input is about 60%) in about 7 weeks. It got us thinking is that healthy(about 3kg a week?) Will my skin sag? which is my major concern. As to be honest id rather be a little over weight than have extra skin. I currently weigh 116kg most my weight is around my core.

So are there any experts here? Or has anyone else here gone through a large weight loss that can shed some light for me?

Cheers!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weJa4dU/
SW 118.4 WiiFit age:35
CW 112.4 WiiFit BMI:35.72
GW 85
jac33au

Re: Healthy Weight loss, How much is ok?

Postby brendong » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:30 am

You probably won't like the answer but.. but 1 - 4kgs a month is considered healthy weight loss.

One can do more (i've personally done heaps more).. but then thats considered unhealthy and lets just say the mass weight loss never really held in the long term as you need to change your lifestyle for permanent results.

Remember quick weight loss is just that....WEIGHT LOSS Your not just losing fat your losing. water, lean body mass etc.

cheers

Brendon
brendong

Postby Czarina » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:55 am

From what I've heard healthy weight and achievable weight loss is .5 - 1kg a week...

The Biggest Loser is not a realistic guide, yes, it's great to watch to get some motivation, but do you know how many of the contestants stacked the weight back on when it was all over?
Czarina

Postby matchbox » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Czarina wrote:From what I've heard healthy weight and achievable weight loss is .5 - 1kg a week...

this is for girls, its different for guys... i think about 1-2kg per week. someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby muppet_man67 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:56 am

2kg is heaps of weight even for guys but possible. Thats a 10,000kj a day deficit so if you eating 5000 which many diets have you on and getting 1-2 hours of exercise day then its possible. Difficult to sustain that for a long period. :D 1kg a week however is pretty realistic. 8000kj a day plus 1hour exercise 3-4 times a week will do it.
muppet_man67

Postby bear » Fri May 16, 2008 9:51 pm

I agree with the 0.5 - 1 kg a week weight loss is heathy.
I lost my weight fast about 24kg in about 6.5 months. that was before I kept going up and down by a couple a kilo. Anyway I now have loose skin on my tummy. It's gross!! I will need a tummy tuck to get rid of it.. About 12k.
Moral of the story- slow and steady and you should be fine!! :D
ImageImage
bear

Return to Ask the Mob