It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:40 am

Free Newsletter

Meat portion size question please

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Meat portion size question please

Postby Tuby » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:25 am

Hi to all, i have lost a lot of weight because i was diagnosed as being diabetic 2 about 5 months ago, but i need to loose about 3 stone more, trouble is now the scales are not moving in the last few weeks so i think my problem may be in the meat portions I have, i no idea on the correct portion amount size of meat i should have with my evening meal, i mean like red meats, chicken, fish.
I don't touch potato, rice or white bread now at all, as it makes my blood sugar levels go flying high, i eat a large variety of other vegetables though, i am also wondering if there is any other vegetables besides potato i should be limiting.
thanks in advance for any help
best wishes
Tuby
Tuby

Re: Meat portion size question please

Postby brendong » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Congratulations on taking those positive steps.
Diabetes is at epidemic stages across the country

Have you seen this from Diabetes Australia? Blew my mind.
http://www.dav.org.au/epidemic/index.htm

Meat portion sizes are generally based on the size of the palm of your hand.
I would not be to worried that the scales are not moving as you may be losing inches.. but not kilograms.
Weight loss is not a linear process and it is perfectly after some good losses to stall for a while.

But you did say they haven't moved for a few weeks, has anything changed?

How is your exercise program? exercise is probably the most effective thing for lowering your insulin resistance (as a result of the diabetes) which makes it harder to lose weight at times.
Did you know its said 80% of those cases can be cured by appropriate exercise ie cardio and resistance + proper nutrition.

Cheers

Brendon
brendong

Postby Tuby » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi Brendan, wow that chart is amazing and to think that is only the ones that have been diagnosed, scary really.
Nothing has changed diet wise nor exercise either, i have stuck to a half hour walk every morning, might have to increase the walking, but your right about exercise affecting the glucose levels, it makes a big difference..... and yep, i did no that a diabetic 2 can go into remission, that is actually what i am aiming for,as long as you don't go back to your old habits and put weight back on, especially around the belly region.... luckily i am only on low dose medication and should be able to cut the meds out once i have retained my proper weight... thanks for answering my meat question, i have been having to much then.
all the best
Tuby :)
Tuby

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Just to clarify on the hand size for meats... we get told at WW that for red meats (beef, lamb, pork) the serving size is your palm only; for white meats (chicken, fish) the serving size is your whole hand - palm & fingers. So you can make your servings of chicken & fish slightly bigger than your other meats.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Tuby » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:48 am

Hi Kate, thanks for that information, much appreciated.
all the best
Tuby :)
Tuby

Postby nutzy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:56 pm

I have also read that you should divide your plate into quarters - 1/4 protein, 1/4 starchy carbohydrates, potatoes, pasta, etc and 2/4 veg. I eat off a side plate, so my portions are always small.

SW: 76kg (08/07)
CW: 60.2kg (21/05)
GW: 55kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woT3JnX/]
[/url]
nutzy

Postby electrongirl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 am

are you following any kind of program?

Maybe have a look at the Calorie King website. Its free and you can enter in your details and it tells you how many calories you should be eating and that way you can measure your food and add it to your food diary.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Return to Ask the Mob