It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Does honey stall fat loss?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Does honey stall fat loss?

Postby skitso » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello,
I've done a search and can't seem to find anything specifically on honey so thought would start a new topic.

I'm wondering if honey stalls fat loss?

At the moment I drink rooibos (tea)sweetened with a teaspoon of honey 4-6 times a day.
It's a bit more interesting than plain water that's all.

But is the honey being counterproductive? Am I just doing the equivalent of eating sweets all day?

Any feedback much appreciated!
skitso

Re: Does honey stall fat loss?

Postby Tarz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi,

Honey has the following calorie count:
teaspoon - 19calories
tablespoon - 78 calories

so if you are having 6 a day you are adding around 115 calories to your tea.
Hope this helps.
Tarz

Postby loveat116 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:27 pm

Calories in V calories out

No one food makes you 'fat' its how much you eat of it.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby electrongirl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Honey is actually VERY good for you so as long as it fits into your daily calories then there's no problem with it.

Its much better than sugar!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:00 pm

I've actually heard that there is no nutritional value to honey whatsoever (don't persecute me if this is wrong, I heard it from my WW leader). It simply adds to your calories per day without really giving your body anything in return, no vitamins/minerals etc because it's so refined and the bees have already used all the vitamins/minerals themselves.

If you're adding an extra 115 cals to your day by using honey, then you may want to consider an artificial sweetener instead? Although if you can spare the 115 cals then go for it.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby electrongirl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:18 pm

I'm sorry but WW leaders are not trained in nutrition or anything usually. Honey is one of the best foods out there.

Health Benefits of Honey

Honey has long been recognized as a natural remedy and has been used as a medicine for thousands of years. Health benefits of Honey - History of Honey, Mead, Royal Jelly

Perhaps your parents failed to mention it when they discussed the birds and the bees with you, but honey has long been known to have a multitude of healing powers with everything from relieving a sore throat, allergies, healing wounds, etc. It also goes great with peanut butter.

Research shows that a spoonful of honey is more effective than DM cough syrup in treating coughs - and is safe for children over 12 months old, according to Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, December 2007.

Other research from the University of California, Davis reveals that honey consumption raises antioxidant levels. Honey soothes on contact and has well-established antioxidant and antimicrobial effects, which helps explain its contributions to wound healing.

In the study, 25 people were told to eat between four and 10 tablespoons of buckwheat honey, depending on their weight, each day for a month. They could eat the honey in almost any form, but it couldn't be baked or dissolved in tea. Many chose to eat straight from the spoon. Antioxidant levels rose in the participants. Antioxidants provide defense against free radicals, which cause cell damage.

Researchers discovered honey contained as many antioxidants - which combat the free radicals which can damage cells - as spinach, apples, oranges or strawberries. Scientists from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign say honey appears to have a "mild protective effect".

It was already known that honey contained varying levels of antioxidants, with dark honey having more than light. This is the first study to examine honey's effect on human blood.

In the study, researchers checked the blood of 25 men aged 18 - 68 over five weeks. They found drinking four tablespoons of honey mixed into a 16-ounce glass of water improved the antioxidant levels in their blood.

The team is currently conducting a study on rabbits to see if honey could slow atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries.

The types of flowers the bees pollinate determine flavor and color of honey. Buckwheat honey comes from the buckwheat plant and is dark in color with a distinct flavor. The darker shades of honey are believed to have more antioxidants. The study showed no weight gain in participants for the month they were consuming honey. And, some claimed that eating honey for breakfast actually made them feel full and satisfied.

Eating honey along with supplemental calcium appeared to enhance calcium absorption in rats, according to a study from Purdue University.

In addition, the researchers suggested that the absorption of calcium increased as the amount of honey taken was upped.

Sugar is a crystalline carbohydrate extracted from sugar cane and sugar beets. It is a non-nutritive empty calorie that robs the body of vitamins and minerals. Sugar is addicting. The biggest culprit? Soft drinks, which account for one-third of our total sugar intake.

Approximately one half of the human diet is derived directly or indirectly from crops pollinated by bees. Today honeybees are an essential part of a healthy agriculture economy. If you have allergies, honey can be beneficial. If you eat honey that is local to your area, it may prevent your seasonal allergies. Bees use the pollen from local plants and eventually it ends up in your honey.

Health-promoting compounds found in honey could make this ingredient a more attractive option for food makers currently using bulk sweeteners such as high-fructose corn syrup and looking to jump on board the growing health foods trend, say scientists in the US.

Researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign say that honey may be a healthier alternative to corn syrup due to its higher level of antioxidants, compounds which are believed to fight cancer, heart disease and other diseases. Honey, which contains a number of antioxidant components that act as preservatives, also shows promise as a replacement for some synthetic antioxidants widely used as preservatives in salad dressings and other foods.

High fructose syrups kicked off in the US in the 1970s when the country developed new technologies to process this bulk calorific sweetener. The ingredient, an alternative to sucrose, rapidly gained in popularity and is now used extensively by soft drinks makers such as Coca-Cola and PepsiCo.

Honey, a natural syrup produced by bees is similar to invert sugar, with a small but variable excess of levulose (fructose). The composition and flavor of honey varies with the plant source of the nectar, processing and storage but a typical composition is 41 per cent fructose, 34 per cent glucose, 18 per cent water, and 2 per cent sucrose with a pH of 3.8 to 4.2.

According to the US researchers, dark-colored honey, such as buckwheat honey, is generally thought to contain higher levels of antioxidants than the light-colored varieties. Previous studies by the researchers, who presented their findings this week at the American Chemical Society meeting in Illinois, suggest that honey may have the same level of disease-fighting antioxidants as that of some common fruits.

Honey contains vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, and is a wonderful beauty aid that nourishes the skin and the hair. Honey acts as an antibacterial and antifungal agent and helps disinfect and speed the healing process in wounds, scrapes and burns.

* Honey mixed with ground almonds makes an excellent facial cleansing scrub.

* A tablespoon of honey whisked together with an egg white, 1 teaspoon of glycerin and about 1/4 cup of flour makes an excellent firming mask. Just smooth on the face, leave on 15 minutes, and rinse off with warm water. You will be pleased with the results.

* Honey also makes a great moisturizing pack. Just mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 teaspoons of whole milk, smooth over the face and throat, and let it do its job for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, and finish splashing with cold water.

* Honey also makes a great lotion for dry patches of skin on hands, elbows, or other parts. Just mix 1 teaspoon of honey with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply to hands, elbows, heels of your foot, etc., and wash off after 15 minutes. Fast relief!

* Honey works well on chapped lips and for acne because it has antibacterial properties.

* To give your hair lustrous shine, mix 1 teaspoon of honey into 4 cups of warm water. Use as a hair rinse. And if you're a blond, add the juice of 1 lemon, too.

* Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with a cup of warm water. Use it as a mouthwash. Honey cleans teeth and dentures, and kills germs in the mouth.

Royal Jelly: Royal jelly is a substance produced by worker bees inside the beehive. Inside this nutritious substance are sugar, proteins, fats and many vitamins. It is used in problems caused by tissue deficiency or body frailty.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby electrongirl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 pm

MagicGirl79 wrote:I've actually heard that there is no nutritional value to honey whatsoever (don't persecute me if this is wrong, I heard it from my WW leader). It simply adds to your calories per day without really giving your body anything in return, no vitamins/minerals etc because it's so refined and the bees have already used all the vitamins/minerals themselves.

If you're adding an extra 115 cals to your day by using honey, then you may want to consider an artificial sweetener instead? Although if you can spare the 115 cals then go for it.

Don't think I am attacking you with my post please!! I just hate it when people give out ignorant information about things they know nothing about (not you the leader)

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks for the info Nikki - my leader actually is trained in nutrition so she's usually pretty up to date with the things she says.

Can I ask where you got your info from? I only ask cause I'd like to print it out and show it to my leader. I could print it off here, but I don't want to have all the extra posts etc on it. Or I suppose I could just cut and paste it myself, but knowing my leader she'll ask where I got it from :wink:
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby electrongirl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:32 pm

I just did a google search for honey health benefits.

It's a wide known fact that honey has these benefits. It's good that your leader has nutritional training. I have had many leaders in the 8 or so years I have done WW and many of them were pretty ignorant to alot of things.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Yeah she's usually pretty good, so I'm sure she'll be keen to know about the honey.

I'll have to ask her next time I see her (not for 3 weeks now unfortunately) what she meant when she said there was no nutritional value in honey~
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby electrongirl » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:38 pm

some more info I found about Honey:

Honey Vs Sugar: 3 Key Differences

Honey Vs Sugar. What are their differences?

Both sweeteners contain glucose and fructose. However, for sugar, in the process of manufacturing, the organic acids, protein, nitrogen elements, enzymes and vitamins in the sugar cane are destroyed, whereas honey, a natural sweetener, subjects only to minimal heating. Also, honey has certain beneficial antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which are not present in table sugar.

Here are three honey nutrition facts that will make you feel good about eating honey:

One: One tablespoon of table sugar or sucrose contains 46 calories, while one tablespoon of natural sweetener honey has 64 calories. Though honey may have more calories, we actually need to use less of it since it is sweeter than table sugar. As a result, you may in fact consume even less amount of calories that you would with sugar. And in the long run even though honey is more expensive, it may be more economical than table sugar. I was taken aback when I first found out how much table sugar I was consuming when I take a can of coke -- 10 teaspoons, and a 50g chocolate bar -- 7 teaspoons!

Two: Compared to table sugar, honey has a healthier Glycemic Index (GI) which measures the negative impact of a given food on the blood-glucose level. The lower the GI rating, the slower the absorption and infusion of sugars into the bloodstream and hence a more gradual and healthier digestion process.

Three: Unlike honey, table sugar lacks minerals and vitamins (hence it's been often called empty calories), they draw upon the body's nutrients to be metabolized into the system. When these nutrients are all used up, metabolizing of undesirable cholesterol and fatty acid is impeded, contributing to higher cholesterol and promoting obesity due to higher fatty acid on the organs and tissues. That is why it is not uncommon for fat people to suffer from malnutrition and many other health related problems. So the message is, honey vs sugar, if you are watching your weight, honey will be a smarter choice than sugar. Besides the differences in nutrition, I feel sugar can never compete with honey in taste. Though both are sweet, honey has such a unique flavour that can be very useful and superior in many foods and beverages. The range of honey floral varieties is so vast that experiencing for yourself the uniqueness of each variety and being able to appropriate each variety to exploit every possibility to complement and improve taste of different types of foods becomes a skillful art.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby madgicsh » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 pm

Of course it does! It's a form of sugar, albeit a natural one.
Madgic1
HW 110kg
LW 62kg
GW 65kg
CW 80.5kg

Exercise hurts less than looking in the mirror

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTlMxqm/]
[/url]
madgicsh

Postby austin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:42 am

madgicsh wrote:Of course it does! It's a form of sugar, albeit a natural one.

Since when does sugar stall fat loss???
Thats just silly.

Its all about calories in calories out, the thought of sugar stalling fat loss is just ridiculous.
austin

Postby electrongirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 am

i think maybe if all your eating is sugar then it may have a negative affect (god help your insides!! haha)

But if its being included in your daily calories then I can't see how it could be bad. Its better than chowing down on greasy fast food or hot chips etc.

Image Image
electrongirl

Return to Ask the Mob