It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:45 am

Free Newsletter

Too Little Calories?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Too Little Calories?

Postby katieg30 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:57 am

Hi everyone!
I been hearing conflicting reports about the ideal calorie intake for weight loss.
Some sites have said that if you eat less that 1000cal per day you will lose weight. Others have said that if you eat that amount your metabolism will slow so much that you will GAIN weight!?
I find the second opinion hard to believe, as 1000cal can actually amount to a lot of food, if you are choosing healthy options like fresh fruit and veg. Also, if my calculations are correct, I have been eating less than 1000cal per day and I have never felt starving!
According to the energy needs calculator I need about 2050 calories a day to maintain my current weight. Any ideas on how many calories I should be aiming for? Or should I aim for as few as possible, whilst making sure I don't starve (lol) or slow my metabolism.
By the way, my name is Katie, I am 19 and I am new here! Hi!
katieg30

Re: Too Little Calories?

Postby katieg30 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:59 am

Oh, I forgot to say that the second website said that eating less than 1000cal per day was "starving yourself" (hence me going on and on about not "staving"!)..
katieg30

Postby Jisgone » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:31 am

pretty much every website recomends u dont eat less than 1200 cals a day, your body needs atleast that to function correctly. it depends on your current weight too, if youve only got 5 kilos to lose then u could eat 1200 cals a day and lose it, but if u have more to lose your better starting off at higher cals so u have something to go down too if you plateau
Jisgone

Postby MagicGirl79 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Hey Katie - welcome to the forum.

I think a lot of people on here, including myself, use the Calorie King website to calculate how many cals you should be consuming. It allows you to put in your weight, height and general activity level and then tells you how many cals you should be consuming per day. http://www.calorieking.com.au

I personally aim for around 1600 cals per day at the moment, but I'm also pretty big (98kg). I'm sure as I lose weight that will decrease. 1000cals per day seems rather low to me even if you are thin & trying to maintain.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Czarina » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:09 pm

I used to think along the same lines as you Katie, that you've got to lose more weight by eating less. But I discovered that's not true! I was really unsure about it, then I thought I'd give Calorie King and the whole calorie counting thing a go for a couple of weeks to see how it went...and I haven't looked back, you really do have to eat more than you would think to lose weight. I actually find it hard to eat what has been recommended for me most of the time, but I try to keep it up there if I can. At least on those days where you want to eat a bit more, or indulge in alcohol, etc, you can, and you can do it guilt free! I have lost over 8kg since starting calorie counting in around the middle of January and I seem to be losing more as I go along. Just give it a go for a couple of weeks and see how you go! :D
Czarina

Postby katieg30 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm checking out that calorie king website right now! xx
katieg30

Return to Ask the Mob