It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Free Newsletter

What is the best way to stop cravings?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

What is the best way to stop cravings?

Postby Purpledog21 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:04 pm

Hiya

I was just wondering what everyone does to stop the food cravings? as i am getting them alot more again but i dont have the ability at times to just let it pass so i eat whatever is around and normaly it is crap foods.
I would aprieate any help at all as this is where i am slipping up in my progress
Thanks
Vonnie
Purpledog21

Re: What is the best way to stop cravings?

Postby Tarz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:14 am

If your at home when you get the craving go brush your teeth, it makes all food taste bad so you won't want that you crave. Or if your at work when you get these cravings have something else available in the fridge to have instead, eg take a bag of cut up carrot or capsicum or a small bag of popcorn. Another way is to go do something else. make your self to busy to think about it.
I hope some of these ideas work for you. I had this problem with the chocolates we were selling at work but i i think i am on top of that now. :mrgreen:
Tarz

Postby Cac33 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 am

That's a good idea to go brush your teeth! Dental benefits too
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:58 pm

I find time limits can work. If you have a craving for chips just tell yourself that you can have chips, but only in half an hour's time. Then get busy with something else. A lot of the time you'll find that in half an hour's time you've either forgotten about the craving or it has passed. Another way is by making sure there are no temptations in the house. If you have to go for a half hour's walk to go buy some icecream it makes it a lot easier to resist the urge to eat it! Another method I use is to remind myself that chips/icecream/chocolate has always been there and it will always be there. Then I tell myself that I can eat it tomorrow/next week/whenever but I simply can't have it now. That often does the trick for me.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Purpledog21 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Thank you for your responses im going to give them a try and hopefully it will work lol.

Vonnie
Purpledog21

Postby bernard » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:53 pm

Try a product called Lupin8 from health food stores good article on it in Slimming and Health Magazine. It has stopped me eating between meals.
bernard

Postby Athena » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:22 pm

Here's something my sister does. When she gets craveings, she choose on tooth picks. It would never work for me but it works for her and might work for other people to
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby jaz87 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:48 pm

I substitute for food thats better for me, it works most of the time!
so if I'm craving something sweet, like chocolate, I'll just have some strawberries or a banana or something.
But sometimes I really just need the chocolate! haha
[/url]
jaz87

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm trying to ride it out by being on here. It's still there i have the desire for something sweet, not sure what just something sweet. Water's not really helping either.

EvilWombatQueen I like your saying the food is still going to be there 2mrw & the next & the next, I won't die if I don't eat it.

what is Lupin8?
Strawberry

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Strawberry wrote:
what is Lupin8?

never mind, i opened my eyes & saw a topic bout this.
Strawberry

Postby anaksedang » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:29 am

the best way is to eat apples. Eat it twice every day, the best appetite suppressant fruit
anaksedang

Postby Walkabout » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Eat vegetables and fruit. Seeing as you really can't eat too much of them anyway, eat a bunch and see if the cravings are still there.

Water is an alternative. I drink 2-3 litres per day partly to keep the cravings away.

Excercise! This one's my favorite but alas, if you have a busy schedule as I do then it's only during weekends/holidays that you can really use this. Run for an hour or go to the gym or whatever it is that you do. Seeing all the fit and slim people out there makes me forget all about my cravings.

Take off your shirt and look into the mirror. Move around so your fat wobbles. Makes my stomach turn = lose my appetite in an instant. This one also makes me want to excercise that much harder.
Walkabout

Postby Tarz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:20 am

Walkabout wrote:Take off your shirt and look into the mirror. Move around so your fat wobbles. Makes my stomach turn = lose my appetite in an instant. This one also makes me want to excercise that much harder.

That doesn't work for me - i get depressed and turn to food - go figure :(
Anyway the best advise i have gotten is from Ali (EWQ) make yourself wait for 15 -30 minutes and think do you still want it, if you do have a small bit or say to yourself if you still want it at home time you can have it then or go home from work - 9 times out of 10 i'd rather go home :wink:
Tarz

Postby surfchick33 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:58 am

I take chromium - it was recommended to me by my naturopath. You can get it from your health food store & it is only about $10. It has really helped me.

Good luck :wink:
surfchick33

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:21 pm

surfchick33 wrote:I take chromium - it was recommended to me by my naturopath. You can get it from your health food store & it is only about $10. It has really helped me.

Good luck :wink:

i might try this.
Strawberry

Next

Return to Ask the Mob