It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:21 am

Free Newsletter

Why do we eat if we're not hungry?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Why do we eat if we're not hungry?

Postby ali76 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:46 pm

I know this is a very basic question....but why do we do it?

I know it's sometimes an emotional issue....but why food?

Sorry if I'm being vague - or even silly....but food has been controlling me today and it's been bothering me...since I've not been hungry...

AUGH! :roll:
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Re: Why do we eat if we're not hungry?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:54 pm

I know what you mean! I think it's just that eating for many of us makes us feel good. And if a snack makes you feel good then twenty-five snacks throughout the evening will make you feel great, right? Of course not. But while we all consciously know that it doesn't work that way I think our subconscious mind and childhood programming sometimes take over when we're not paying enough attention. Then we just munch away all evening only to regret it the next day.

I've noticed my eating getting a bit out of control these last couple of weeks. I think it's a combination of giving up alcohol which has made me crave sugary foods to make up for it, and not being able to spend much time on the computer because of my back. I get bored so it's either a matter of finding something productive to do (hard work) or stuffing my face (easy work). I'm going to try and replace snacks with a hobby this week. Every time I want to eat when I'm not hungry I have to do a drawing. That way it will hopefully cut out unnecessary calories AND I'll have something to show for all my hard work at the end of the week.

Could you do something similar whenever you feel like eating when you're not hungry?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Tarz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:49 pm

I think its out of habit and boredom.
I have notice that when i am bored or have nothing to do i go to the fridge and see what i can find to devour. Its not that i am hungry it just something that occupies my mind and hads. If i keepo myself busy it doesn't happen, i lose track of the time and my stomach doesn't make a noise. So try doing something when you feel your eating for no reason.
Another reason i found i was eating was out of habit (i came across this realisation last night)
Whenever my mum used to make hamburgers i loved the meat patty so much i would grab a left over patty on my way to bed. Last night i made hambugers (home made yummy) and decided when i was washing up that i would grab one on my way to bed, i got to the fridge and realised i wasn't hungry! i was only grabbing it cos i always would have one on my way to bed. If i really wanted it, it would be there in the morning and i could make my lunch out of it. SO off i went to bed without it!
And i am very proud to say it is still in the fridge and not on my bread for lunch!

Could it be possible that your eating out of habit or boredom?
Tarz

Postby ali76 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm

You're both so right....I honestly think it's out of boredom more than anything.

My boss isn't here today so because I'm not being pushed, I'm either thinking of food - or eating it! And the bad thing is we have a munchie stash (one of those charity ones) and they have 50c crunchies (only 30g and 139 calories so not overly bad... :roll: ).

Anyway - this is my pledge....to myself, not for anyone else - afterall no one else benefits or loses if I don't stick to it - but I'm having a lovely chicken breast and veggies for dinner....and nothing else afterwards! The ice cream (albeit low fat) was finished last night so thats no longer a temptation and I don't think there's much else....??

I bought myself an iPod yesterday so if I feel the temptation to nibble, I'm going to put on some fast, motivating music and dance!!! Or, have a game of table tennis with the boy....you're right Ali - I need something else to do...I wish cleaning was more appealing!!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby MelbGirl08 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Personally, food is an addiction for me, just like alcohol or smoking is for someone else.

I think I' ve relied on food as a source of comfort for so long that now its becoming a problem trying to shift the habit. A lot of the weightloss journety is psychological. You can collect all the info available on weightloss, how much you should eat, when and how much exercise you need to do, but what I find with most diets is that they do not prepare you for the mental battle of weightloss. J

Just imagine - every day you must make the right choices re: food, you have to motivate yourself to exercise, you have to resist temptation, etc...there's a whole lot of mind work here! Thats one of the reasons I think I've failed at WeightWatchers...all this info is basically thrust at you and it's up to you to make it significant. It doesn't teach you how to train yourself mentally, rather it relies on you having the willpower to resist. :D
MelbGirl08

Postby lovemyspots » Tue May 06, 2008 7:05 pm

For me it is also boredom. But I also notice that when I am tired or upset (angry sad resentful) in some way I also eat. It seems too much bother to make a healthy meal or my head is not concentrating and I fall into old habits way too easily. My choices of what to eat are also compromised. I feel like comfort when upset or tired so instead of fruit I'll have a piece of bread and butter or something like that (only through lack of sweets in the house at the moment). It has taken me a while to get to know my triggers and the mental anguish of changing that behaviour can be hard. But I continue on and slowly and surely my habits are evolving but I still have a way to go. I have to be happy with what I am doing as once I reach a healthy weight I have to maintain it so I can live a much fuller life.
Its always a day at a time for me Cheers LMS
lovemyspots

Postby WaddleBottom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:49 pm

I agree whole heartedly with you MelbGirl.

Food is definitely an addiction for me. It has been ever since I was a child. I was a comfort eater from the time I was about 8! And not just a comfort eater, but an OVER eater... and it was the beginning of a life-long battle with my own impulses and the consequences of them (yo-yo'ing with my weight since I was a kid).

The rational part of my mind knows that it's INSANE that I'm willing to trade regular binges on chocolate and potato chips and fattening foods for a healthy body and self-image. I know what I'm eating (and the amounts in which I 'm eating it) is unhealthy. I know that it is the cause of my regular weight gains and then consequent panic weight loss. I know that I feel so much more confident when I'm eating well and maintaining a good weight. Yet I do it to myself over and over again.

My most recent resolve to get my eating and weight under control is more of a mental decision than a panicked decision to drop a few kgs (which is usually what happens). I need to really wrestle with my mind and come out on top... and once and for all not only REALISE that compulsive and unhealthy eating habits are bad for me and undermine how I feel about and see myself... but I have to CHANGE IT.

I'm not willing to trade my happiness for food any more. Indulging in a block of chocolate or bag of lollies doesn't actually "comfort" me... it's just a habit. Food for me causes discomfort. After I've eaten some of the things I generally go for when I feel like a "fix", I usually feel bloated, overly full and increasingly uncomfortable in my clothes and my skin. For me it's DIScomfort food :P

I intend to learn to eat according to what will #1 be good for my health #2 make me FEEL good and healthy and #3 what I ACTUALLY feel like having for a treat or because my taste buds want it... rather than just eating for the sake of doing it and continuing to eat and eat long after my appetite and my taste buds are satisfied :oops:
WaddleBottom

Postby marshal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Many a times we don't feel hungry. But still we have food at our normal times. For eg. snacks or lunch or dinner. This may be due to the feeling that things will go waste as it has been prepared at home. This will make you feel guilty. If you don't feel uilty then your wife will definately make you feel so. Or else if you don't eat she may accuse you of having a treat at the local mac donalds. It may be that you feel that if you don't have food at your normal time, you will feel more hungry in the evening. Due to the fear of disturbing your own routine, you don't want to skip a meal. But let me tell you. If you have food when you are not hungry you are actually not putting anything productive inside.
Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. ~World Health Organization
Read reviews on famous weight loss products like wu-yi tea, proactol and hoodia gordonii plus.
marshal

Return to Ask the Mob