It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:11 am

Free Newsletter

Porridge eaters.. a question

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Porridge eaters.. a question

Postby electrongirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:20 am

Hi all

Just a question to those who eat porridge, do you guys notice that you tend to go to the loo alot more after eating porridge? Is it a diuretic or something?

I have just gone back to eating it again with the cooler weather, and find I am running off to the loo every 10 mins or so for a couple of hours in the morning!!

I remember my mum saying something about it when she was staying with us recently that it happens to her too.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Re: Porridge eaters.. a question

Postby austin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:52 pm

electrongirl wrote:Hi all

Just a question to those who eat porridge, do you guys notice that you tend to go to the loo alot more after eating porridge? Is it a diuretic or something?

I have just gone back to eating it again with the cooler weather, and find I am running off to the loo every 10 mins or so for a couple of hours in the morning!!

I remember my mum saying something about it when she was staying with us recently that it happens to her too.

Well, porridge is super absorbant! For 1 cup of rolled oats you need 2 cups of water to cook them in.

AAAAND they have heaps of fibre too (unprocessed rolled oats, not instant), so you will go to the loo more. Its good for you and porridge is yum!
austin

Postby electrongirl » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:58 am

oh I know its good! I just wondered if anyone else experienced it. And its only number 1's so the fibre wouldn't have any affect.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby LillyPilly » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:27 pm

electrongirl wrote:oh I know its good! I just wondered if anyone else experienced it. And its only number 1's so the fibre wouldn't have any affect.

Is it due to increased water intake?

I ask that, as my water intake determines how often I visit the loo.
LillyPilly

Postby electrongirl » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:27 pm

I havn't increased any water and the water I use to make the porridge isn't much at all.

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby jessica86 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:37 am

i have this problem too. i now eat gluten free porridge and dont have that problem anymore. im not ceoliac, i dont get the runs with anything else, just porridge.

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby 30 kilo gut » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Most people don't censored enough, so if porridge gets you going then it is a good thing, cleans your system out this is good thing, to not censored for two or more days is not a good thing, I love porridge too and it does help get you going, in more ways than one!
30 kilo gut

Postby 30 kilo gut » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 pm

oopps sorry guess I should use that word!
30 kilo gut

Postby electrongirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:58 am

I was talking about number 1's not number 2's.

Number 2's I have no problems with, very normal. But I have noticed if I have porridge for brekkie over anything else eg: cereal, toast etc I am going to the toilet like every half hour for at least half the morning. My mum has said it happens to her aswell. I only use 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup of oats so this couldn't be it cause I definitely pee out more than a cup in all those trips (sorry to be so graphic)

Maybe something in the oats acts like a diuretic perhaps?

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby marshal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:56 pm

Well, I have found this normal. I have never faced any such thing. May be you guys are eating a lot of it. You must have everything in moderation.
Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. ~World Health Organization
Read reviews on famous weight loss products like wu-yi tea, proactol and hoodia gordonii plus.
marshal

Postby electrongirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:01 pm

marshal wrote:Well, I have found this normal. I have never faced any such thing. May be you guys are eating a lot of it. You must have everything in moderation.

Oh really! Gee I never knew that. :roll:

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Glenny » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:07 am

lol funny, I love porridge it really is so good for you. I make sure my boys get a good few servings of it for breakfast every week. BUT I really haven't notices the need to pee more. I'd like an answer to this one by a nutritionist.
A diet is the penalty we pay for exceeding the feed limit. ~Author Unknown
http://www.loseweightprogramblog.com
Glenny

Return to Ask the Mob