It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight loss and the monthly cycle?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Weight loss and the monthly cycle?

Postby Diminishing » Mon May 05, 2008 1:12 pm

Ok, here goes, sorry if this is TMI!

I have lost, since November, 20kg.

In the past 5 months I have steadily lost 1kg a week.

Still have 20 kg to go.

Again, in the past 5 months my monthly cycle has been as regular as clockwork, with my period showing up on the dot every 29 days, for its usual 4 day duration.

But this month, no sign?? I am now 10 days "late".

Now I KNOW I CANNOT BE husband has had the snip (vasectamy) 12 months ago and has been given the all clear after 2 sperm he has no live ones!

So, my question is, whilst I know rapid weight loss can affect your cycle, and underweight women can lose their cycle, can "normal" weight loss also impact your cycle?

I am only 39, so I doubt very much it is menopause??

So confused, so any experiences you can share, I'd appreciate it!
Lucy xx

Re: Weight loss and the monthly cycle?

Postby SarahC » Mon May 05, 2008 4:37 pm

August the year before last, 2006, I lost weight quite quickly. I think about 600g a week (that's a lot for me!). I lost about 5kgs inside of a couple of months. Since then, I think I have had about 3 periods. So, they're basically gone. And I'm nowhere near underweight :?

If you're worried about it, they can do a blood test at the docs to check your estrogen levels. Or send you off for an ultrasound :shock: I would wait and see how it all pans out before going to the trouble of all that though....

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue May 06, 2008 2:09 pm

Are you under a lot of stress at the moment? Stress can impact the menstrual cycle. But I agree with Sarah. Your best bet is to talk to your GP if your period doesn't show up in the next week or two.

Postby Chaypeta » Tue May 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Actually iwas looking this one up not long ago and i think i have your answer.

No matter how careful we are with eating loosing weight does mean constantly taking in less calories then our body needs to remain at a stable weight... obvious enough :) 'cause we don't want our stable weight to be what it is now.

Unfortunatley thats not the way our body looks at it. As far as it's concerned we're experiencing a mild famine... it doesn't realise that this is elf imposed. Now we can do all the tricks to stop our body going into starvation mode and hanging onto fat ike grim death (like excercising to raise our metabolic rate, getting a good amount of sleep and eating a good full diet which MOSTLY covers our bodies energy needs) but our stubborn little animal brains say... whoa there: we're getting less food then what we need meaning we HAVE to burn fat to survive... not a good enviroment to get pregnant in. Therefore the body puts all the reproductive cycles on hold til times even out.

Funnily enough it doesn't happen to everyone and when it does it's chaotic... a missed period or a late one here and there, sometimes a gap of several months. But basically it's got to do with the whole reduced calorie intact/fat burning thing. Make sure you're still getting a good dietry intake and are never letting yourself go hungry.

Just in case I'd get a check out from a doctor to rule out anything else that may not be related to weight loss but I believe that most of the time this is the cause.

TERINU Australia's own Sci Fi Web Comic:

Return to Ask the Mob