It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Free Newsletter

my darn plateau

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

my darn plateau

Postby Booties » Wed May 07, 2008 10:54 am

Hi, I am having problems with my dreaded plateau.

I am 23, 175cm tall, 80ish kgs

I started out on 89kgs and by december last year i was down to 80kgs.

Its been months and i must admit I didnt workout for a bit of those, but my weight has only gone between 80 and 81.

I have been eating fairly well but have made more adjustments to that as of late.

I now workout as many nights as possible, doing HIIT 2 nights a week and weights/calisthetics 2 nights a week.
I am drinking 1.5L+ of water each day and having meals that are of 1 serving size, including healthy snacks.

I was just wondering what are some ways to get my body back on the weightloss train?

thanks heaps

miss plateau 2008 hehe aka Rachel

** I will be 70 kgs by Christmas 2009 **

RACHEL CAN DOOOO IT!!!
Booties

Re: my darn plateau

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 am

Hey Rachel,

Unfortunately the body eventually adjusts to whatever we do to lose weight in order to stop us from starving to death. So the usual way to break out of a plateau is to change your routine so that the body has to cope with something new. Changing your diet can help, for instance if you've been following a high carb diet then switching to a high protein diet could shake things up and vice versa. Changing your exercise can help too, either by shifting the intensity up or adding time, or by changing the exercise completely (if you've been running try swimming, if you've been doing cycling try kickboxing, etc.) Maybe even increasing the weights you are doing could make a difference.

Could it be that you are eating too little? I had a very long plateau period and it turned out I was overestimating the amount I was eating on Calorie King and as a result I was having less than 1200 calories per day. If you eat less than 1200 calories per day you risk going into starvation mode where the body adjusts its metabolism to hold onto as much weight as possible. Once I increased the amount I ate I started losing again.

I found SparkPeople really useful in beating my plateau. They have three articles which look at the difference causes of plateaus and how you can kick them. Hopefully it will help you as well! http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/as ... ts.asp?q=8

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Booties » Wed May 07, 2008 1:31 pm

i think i am more likely to eat over my calories for the day hehe but i dont use calorie king anymore

i only started working out again last week, so hopefully that along with my diet changes, i will start to see some weightloss.

i started drinking 1.5L water a day last week also, and having scrambled eggs for breaky, which is a nice dose of protein, i use to have cereal for breakfast.

but yeah i did up my intensity on the HIIT compared to the last time i did it :) and i ahve increased the amount of weights i do too so i hope this is what will give me a head start for my next 10kgs :p

but i am still finding it hard hehe

** I will be 70 kgs by Christmas 2009 **

RACHEL CAN DOOOO IT!!!
Booties

Postby wilmawalrus » Fri May 16, 2008 2:35 pm

I'm hearing you Rachel - I think I'm up to about 6 weeks now of plateau or only very slight fluctuation (plus or minus 500g). It's mainly either lack of exercise (foot problems) or little extra items of food (my daughter's cheese slices :D ), and a busier than usual social calendar (meals out).

I'm trying to keep positive by reminding myself that I haven't really gained, that I'm still sticking (more or less) to Lite n Easy, and that I WILL start losing again soon (next week I'm going to start cycling/swimming and hopefully some workout DVDs). You haven't really gained either, and that definitely deserves some major patting on the back!!! :mrgreen:

Hang in there - I'm sure as Ali says, increased exercise and a bit of a diet change will help kick start things again. You're getting into it, so I'm excited to see how much you lose in the next few weeks! Go girl!

Lisa x

Finished detox but staying on track - and it's paying off!!
wilmawalrus

Return to Ask the Mob