It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:48 am

Free Newsletter

Help!! Need a new solution

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Help!! Need a new solution

Postby serina4212 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi all,

I recently have lost 10kg from replacing two meals per day with those weight loss shakes. I am 176cm tall and weighed 67kg, I got down to 57kg but after a couple of months without the shakes i am back approx 59-60kg. The shakes worked great however, i had to cease them as i was suffering really bad with stomach acid. Is this normal? I would like to do it again as I am still not happy with my weight however I cant because of this problem. I can never stick to normal dieting so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to why I suffer stomach acid when taking these shakes or have another solution that i could have to replace my meals? I also joined the gym, however in that period of time I put on a couple of kilos and looked bigger (from muscle) which i did not like at all. I really dont know what to do from here so any suggestions would be much appreciated. My goal weight is around 55-56kg. PLEASE HELP.....

Re: Help!! Need a new solution

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue May 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi Serina,

Is it all meal replacement shakes that give you the problem with stomach acid? Have you tried different brands to see if that makes a difference? Or is it the milk itself? Could you try mixing it with rice milk or soy milk and see if it makes a difference? If it's the dairy in the meal replacement shakes itself then maybe you should try a soy protein or rice protein powder instead.

Maybe talk to someone at your local health food shop. They might have an idea of why you're getting stomach acid problems.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Postby lovemyspots » Tue May 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi Serina,
You did not say what else you are eating during the day as that could have something to do with your problem. It may not be the shakes but a combination of them and other food or just something else you are eating. If you are trying too hard to be under weight the acid problems may be a way of telling you that something is wrong. Please consult a health professional.
Hope it all works out for you
Cheers LMS

Postby lovemyspots » Wed May 14, 2008 6:04 am

Hey Serena,
I think I had better be a little clearer on why you should seek a health professional. My husband began suffering from stomach acid problems. He is a fit kind of guy and can eat heaps, lucky thing. He controlled it by watching what he ate. He hated it because he had to cut out a lot of food that he had previously enjoyed. I can't recall all the foods he had to avoid BUT it ended up being a lot. (It started out that he avoided one or two things then gradually over a period of 12 months or more, being a lot of food)He finally went to see a Doctor and they diagnosed him with an ulcer. It turns out that ulcers are now quite simple to treat with a course of anti-biotics. Ulcers are not "caused" by stress although stress does not help if you already have them. They are caused by something in your gut that can be knocked out by a simple course of anti-biotics. So please if your stomach acid persists go and seek help as I don't think suffering from it really bad is normal.
You maybe fine but it doesn't hurt to find out.
Good Luck LMS

Return to Ask the Mob