It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:18 am

Free Newsletter

Ive decided to do a fun run

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Ive decided to do a fun run

Postby Purpledog21 » Sun May 18, 2008 1:46 am

I was just wondering if anyone could give me pointers on how to start training for a fun run? tonight ive decided i would like to do the city to bay fun run in adelaide in septmember. i know i could walk the 6kms but i would like to either run 3km or walk the 12kms and i figured if i started now i might actually achieve it and also give me something to look towards. If anyone is in adelaide or adelaide hills region or Murray Bridge that wants to do it with me i would really enjoy the company along the way.

Vonnie

Purpledog21

Re: Ive decided to do a fun run

Postby Cac33 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:32 pm

HI Vonnie

I'm in the same situation, I've decided to do the bridge to Brisbane run in September. Its currently 12kms but there is talk of it being reduced to 10kms (hopefully it will as this is my first run).
The advise I was given was to do the c25k program which is a 9 week program to get couch potatoes off the couch to running 5kms or 30min consistantly. I'm almost finished week & 2 it has been really great. Its interval training combining walking & running. More more info the website is http://www.c25k.com & you download the podcasts each week & listen to them as you do your training.

If you end up doing it you should join Tara & I's challenge, there is a thread in the challenges section called Cass & Taras c25k challenge. We're not far into it & are happy for anyone to join the challenge. Its great motivation & also great to have others doing the same thing you are.

Either way good luck with your fun run!!
Cass :D
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby milkyway » Mon May 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Congrats on your decision to do a fun run - I'm sure you'll never look back :)

I did my first one about 2 years ago and it was 4km - I half ran and half walked it, although there was probably more walking than running. Yesterday I ran my first ever half marathon and ran the whole way (actually, it was 23km in total). And I'm no skinny minny either ;)

I second Cassie's advice - try the Couch to 5km program. It works really well - it's a great way to slowly build up your running ability and most importantly, your confidence :)

Running is 80% mental. Once you decide that you CAN do it (and believe me, you CAN!), you just have to train your body to be able to do it.

Good luck!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Purpledog21 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Thank you Cass and Milkyway for your info.
Congrats to you milkyway on completing your first half marathon.
Cass ive decided to join your challenge but im not able to start it till next week as im flat out during daylight hours this week and im too afraid to go at night you will know why if you lived here lol but as of monday i will be doing c25k my days will be monday wednesday and sat.

I actually surprised myself last weekend when i managed to run half way around my block so i cant wait to run further than that.

Vonnie
Purpledog21

Postby Cac33 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi Vonnie

That's great news!!! Glad to have you join the challenge & look forward to reading your progress & sharing the journey with you. I'm actually about to go on holidays for about 3 weeks so won't be online very often but will try to log on check in on you & log my progress too.

Good luck & enjoy running!
Cass
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Return to Ask the Mob