It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:52 am

Free Newsletter

Is this a healthy diet?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Is this a healthy diet?

Postby pearce88 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Hello, im going to post what i eat 95% of the time.

First of all I am 106 kg and 6 foot 4, im 27 bmi or somthing like that

Breakfast - 7/10 weetbix with lite white milk

Lunch - Tomato sauce sandwiches on wholegrain bread (this never changes)

Dinner - Usually anything from spaghetti, steak and vegetables, home made pizzas (once a month at most) to stir fry's.

In between those 3 meals I eat alot of apples (like 3 a day) and occasionally some bananas/oranges.

I also take a multi vitamin tablet once a day.

My questions are.

1. I walk on my treadmil 30 minutes per day and my pedometer gets up to around 25000+ steps each day. I am eating what i put above but i am not losing weight. I either gain weight or i stay the same, What am i doing wrong?

2. Is the above diet healthy enough? is their any changes i should make?

3. Is 30 minutes of walking at an average of 6 kmph on a treadmil each day enough excersise to lose weight?

Thats about all i can think of at the moment, thanks very much for your time and i hope to see a reply that can help me
pearce88

Re: Is this a healthy diet?

Postby Timothyfields » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:05 am

Hi pearce

Firstly a lot of problem, from what you have posted atleast, seems to coming from your diet. With body weight it comes down to whether your calories are at a surplus (higher) or a deficit (lower) then what you are burning per day. If you are looking to lose weight then you have to be consuming less calories then what you are using through out the day. To calculate how many calories burnt per day you need to know your basic metabolic rate and an approximate activity level, http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ is just an example of many calculators that will do this for you. To answer your question it is very possible to lose weight with a 30 minute walk every day as long as your diet is in check.

Enough of the health lesson though, here is a few steps you can take straight away to get yourself on track.

1. Start eating smaller but more frequent meals. 7-10 weetbix in the morning sounds excessive.
2. Balance your meals. Tomato sause sandwiches is not something I'd recommend. Try whole grain with lean meat and salad.
3. Have a look at solid diet plans on the internet. There are a lot around, many in this forum even, find one that suits you.
4. Drink loads of water, get your 8 hours of sleep, eat non processed foods and don't call a diet a failure and stop if you break it every now and then.

I hope I've helped, there is loads of information out there and people willing to give you advice so go have a look around.

Timothy.
Last edited by matchbox on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no advertising please
Timothyfields

Postby Montoya Raif » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 am

pearce88 wrote:Hello, im going to post what i eat 95% of the time.

First of all I am 106 kg and 6 foot 4, im 27 bmi or somthing like that

Breakfast - 7/10 weetbix with lite white milk

Lunch - Tomato sauce sandwiches on wholegrain bread (this never changes)

Dinner - Usually anything from spaghetti, steak and vegetables, home made pizzas (once a month at most) to stir fry's.

In between those 3 meals I eat alot of apples (like 3 a day) and occasionally some bananas/oranges.

I also take a multi vitamin tablet once a day.

My questions are.

1. I walk on my treadmil 30 minutes per day and my pedometer gets up to around 25000+ steps each day. I am eating what i put above but i am not losing weight. I either gain weight or i stay the same, What am i doing wrong?

2. Is the above diet healthy enough? is their any changes i should make?

3. Is 30 minutes of walking at an average of 6 kmph on a treadmil each day enough excersise to lose weight?

Thats about all i can think of at the moment, thanks very much for your time and i hope to see a reply that can help me

Your nutrition plan is wrong. Eat 5-6 times a day.
In morning 7:00 eat cereals for breakfast
then in 10:00 eat apple
12:00 One boiled egg and orange
16:00 One boiled egg, green salad and orange
19:00 Pasta with fresh cheese
Don't eat after 19:00.
If you eat like in this program you will be hungry all time so drink a lot of water minimum of 4l a day.
Run every day for 30 minutes, there is no need to work anything else.
Last edited by CronicBadger on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted spammy sig.
Montoya Raif

Postby jessica86 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:34 am

Hello

Everybody has a different idea on what is a 'heathly diet' and what isnt. to me, your diet isnt very healthy compared to what my diet is (im a vegan) but then my diet might be unhealthy to someone else. everyone is different. if your current diet is an improvement on your past food choices, then i would consider it a step in the right direction.

this is just my opinion-

1) you need to include weight bearing exercises. not just cardio. doing weights will increase your lean muscle mass and increase your metobolic rate= more calories burnt even when your sleeping. you can buy cheap resistance bands or weights, or use household items like cans etc.

2) you are having alot of carbs in your diet. carbs are very important, but you are having too many at each meal. you need to include more fresh fruit & especially vegetables at every meal. a simple way to do this is to have a V8 juice each day- you get one serve of fruit & one of veg in each 250ml easy!
being a vegan, i am against eating meat & dairy , and alot of research proves it makes you gain weight instead of losing it.

3) doing the same exercise (duration & intensity) each day will get you nowhere. you need to mix it up. try walking at a faster pace (say 6.5-7 for a few minutes, then walk 3-4kmph with an incline of 5%) etc, mix it up abit.

hope that helps

<jess
jessica86

Postby sunny_leone » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:19 am

It is very necessary to have a nutritional diet so that the body remains halethy.
Remember that to have a healthy diet, most people should be eating:
* more fruit and veg
* more starchy foods such as rice, bread, pasta (try to choose wholegrain varieties when you can) and potatoes
* less fat, salt and sugar
* some protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, eggs and pulses
Having a healthy diet is sometimes easier said than done. It is tempting to eat less healthy foods because they might be easier to get or prepare, or they satisfy a craving. Between family and work or school, you are probably balancing a hundred things at once. Taking time to buy the ingredients for and cooking a healthy meal sometimes falls last on your list.
I belive that what Montoya says is right....I too follow up the same plan and its been good for me and you can also be updated about the health matters so that you do know how to maintain your whole body

*link removed by moderator*
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links to promote business products are not allowed.
sunny_leone

Return to Ask the Mob