It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 am

Free Newsletter

Im going to the snow .... BUT ......

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Im going to the snow .... BUT ......

Postby matchbox » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:28 pm

GoddessInside wrote:Does anyone have an recommendations of what I should wear / take to the snow ?

clothes :mrgreen:
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:45 pm

Maybe your best bet would be to invest in some thermal underwear - both a skivvy and long-johns. You could wear a wool jumper and a waterproof jacket on top to keep you warm and dry. That would make sure you don't get wet if you fall in the snow. Not sure what you could use in lieu of ski-pants though.

This place has plus-sized ski pants for women. But I'm not sure how long it would take to deliver since it's overseas.
http://www.junonia.com/infocenter/Plus_ ... unonia.htm

Layer up to make sure you stay as warm as possible. Make sure you take a spare change of clothes to wear after skiing. If you don't have proper snow gear you will probably be wet and cold once you stop moving. If you have dry clothes to change into then at least you won't freeze on the way home!

Hope you have a brilliant time. It sounds like it'll be fun!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:08 pm

I lived through some seriously cold sub-zero freezing winters and trust me Helen, it's all about layering and keeping your extremities covered - hat, gloves, two pairs of socks (or thick wooly ones), scarf and then start layering from the bottom up - thermal long johns, singlet, long sleeve thermal top or t-shirt etc.

Snow is a bit different from rain and you'll get away with something that you can just dust the snow off. But if it does rain or worse, sleet, you'll get wet if you're not waterproofed - but even one of those el-cheapo $2 plastic rain ponchos from the Reject Shop over your jacket should help keep the wet out.

Shoes are important, too - you'll want a pair that has some grip because ice is dangerous and often undetectable. I remember being excited to wake up to a beautiful while winter morning only to be seriously annoyed an hour or so later on my way to walk and slipped for the 4th time in about 50 metres! Be careful. One of my friends broke her wrist because of 'black ice' :(

What sort of winter gear do you already have? You might be able to make do with what you've got and some creative thinking. You'll probably find you spend lots of time by the fire sipping a skinny hot chockie while looking at the beautiful scenery through double-glazed windows :mrgreen: I'm jealous!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Sas » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Maybe actually ring the ski resort you are going to and ask them about the sizes of the clothes that they hire out.

Usually when I go I just wear thermals, jumper, ski jacket (my ski jacket is a thick waterproof Nike Jacket so you might be able to find something at a sport store) and waterproof track pants or ski pants... but I have worn normal synthetic track pants that aren't all that water proof and didn't get too wet.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby GoddessInside » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:12 pm

We don't know where we're staying yet and I doubt that they would stock anything in my size :(

I guess I'll try and put some outfits together.
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Previous

Return to Ask the Mob