It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:04 am

Free Newsletter

Calories?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Calories?

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:37 am

This is a question I need answered so I know how much im eating! Cutting portion size isn't going to work for me as I don't eat big portions now, just the wrong foods.

How many calories should I be eating a day? I'm 20, 170cm tall and 128kg, and NOT very active. I sit at a desk infront of the computer all day! About the only movement I get is to go fill my wate bottle or to go to the toilet.

I really only started my weight loss journey yesterday, and calculated I had 1500cal just for dinner (mind you, i didnt have breakfast or lunch so i pigged out on a ham sandwich, chicken sandwich and a curried egg sandwich, man i love my bread too much), and that seemed alot of calories to me.

Also, calories aside, are some foods better than others? As in bread. I LOVE my bread, I could wipe off a whole loaf a day in sandwiches, toast etc if no one was looking. My partner jokes that I must constantly eat toilet paper sandwiches as i go through so much of the two!!! When I count my calories, should I just eat less of everything else when I eat bread? Or should I cut down on the bread so I can eat more other things?
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Re: Calories?

Postby tania2573 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:43 am

if you go to calorieking.com.au,you put in your details and it will tell you all you need to know its excellent and FREE!!
S.W 163.1 start date 19/2/2008
G.W 85
tania2573

Postby ali76 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:27 am

Tania, you took the words right out of my mouth (yes I'm singing!).

Calorie king is brilliant for educating you on how many calories are in what. You put in your age, censored, height, current and target weight, motivation levels and how much you exercise a day and it will indicate how many calories you need a day. You then make a diary of what you eat and it works out how many calories you're eating, but also the ratio of fat:protein:carbs (which I believe should be 20:20:60).

It's made a MASSIVE difference to me and the way I eat.

Make sure you use the Aussie site as the US one makes you pay!!

Good luck and let us know how you're getting on!

Ali
xoxox
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for your replies! :)

I have signed up to calorie king but can't access it yet as there have been some problems with them thinking im not in australia as we connect to a singapore server at work :( Hope to get these sorted out soon, so was just looking for a guide to go on until these issues are sorted out.

I'm just going to try to have at most 1200cal a day and use the calorie king calorie calculator to work out how much i've had (you don't need to sign up to see individual foods etc so i can still total it up)

whit3tig3y

Postby curvygirl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Calorie King is a massive help. You can find the foods you love and work out how to put them into your plan. I am the same height as you and have to loose 50 kilos. I am eating 1500 a day, only into my second week but find that I need the extra calories to keep my from starving and then eating everything in sight. Just see what works for you.
Good luck :D
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 pm

curvygirl wrote:Calorie King is a massive help. You can find the foods you love and work out how to put them into your plan. I am the same height as you and have to loose 50 kilos. I am eating 1500 a day, only into my second week but find that I need the extra calories to keep my from starving and then eating everything in sight. Just see what works for you.
Good luck :D

It seems we are very much in the same boat! I was wondering if we could keep in touch a little (not privately just on these boards), as theres only a few kilo between us, we're the same height and your only in your second week and im in my first. It would be great to have someone to "share" the journey with thats in almost the same position as i :D

whit3tig3y

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:46 pm

if you eat white bread switch to WM, grains or brown breads- so much better for you. have you seen how white bread goes all gluey when you get it wet? it sits in your stomach like that for days & really piles the weight on.
Strawberry

Postby whit3tig3y » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:35 am

I've never been fond for the taste of other breads. I may try brown bread, but if I can't stomach it then i'll just cut down how much white I have.

I officially have my calorie king working :D Yesterday I was a little naughty and kind of scoffed when I got home. But i'd done some shopping and bought some mountain bread, ham etc. So I ended up scoffing that while my actual dinner was cooking, and I added it all up for the day in Calorie King expecting to have to slap myself on the wrists, and I was SO surprised that it was within my allocation!!!!

This I find a little frightening, because if I thought I scoffed and really didn't.. Then i'm worried that I haven't really been over eating in the first place and its going to be a whole lot harder for me to lose weight. Mind you, though I haven't changed my portion size, I have changed -what- i have been eating.

I'm using chicken breast meat in place of thigh meat which I love but its not very good for me :( And I had mountain bread wraps instead of the billion slices of white bread i'd have, and I didn't use margerine like I would have had to have used on white bread. This is really going to be good for my health because my stomache doesn't tollerate wheat well. Anything like bread, pizza (base) and pasta leaves me on the toilet all night :( This should hopefully improve this problem!!!

whit3tig3y

Postby Athena » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:04 pm

Just a thought... If you love bread so much why don't you try making your own? Cooking something from scratch gives you a new appreciation for it and sometimes helps to cut down on the amounts. I make bread by hand whenever I have a few hours to spare, it's very relaxing.
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby Tarz » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:36 pm

I never use to be a big fan of whole meal or wholegrain bread. Whole meal always felt stale to me and wholegrain had to many seeds and grains in it, but i have found a bread that i really like. The UP 100% wholegrain flour bread, its soft and looks like normal white bread just a little browner. I like it.

whit3tig3y wrote:So I ended up scoffing that while my actual dinner was cooking, and I added it all up for the day in Calorie King expecting to have to slap myself on the wrists, and I was SO surprised that it was within my allocation!!!!

This I find a little frightening, because if I thought I scoffed and really didn't.. Then i'm worried that I haven't really been over eating in the first place and its going to be a whole lot harder for me to lose weight.

I know what you mean but its more the little things that you don't realise your doing. I use to go to the fridge and stand their for ages and maybe have a few slices of ham come back 20 minutes later and pick at something. You don't realise you do it until you catch your self out. Don't be worried that what you have done isn't going to be enough cos it will be. Small changes like no magarine are great changes. I use to have margaine with everything and now i can't eat things with it, if i order a sandwich out i have to ask them not to put it on or it tastes funny.
Your doing well.
Tarz

Postby Cac33 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:24 pm

Tarz wrote:I never use to be a big fan of whole meal or wholegrain bread. Whole meal always felt stale to me and wholegrain had to many seeds and grains in it, but i have found a bread that i really like. The UP 100% wholegrain flour bread, its soft and looks like normal white bread just a little browner. I like it.

You took the words out of my mouth. This bread is much better for you & doesn't taste too different.
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby jessica86 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:22 am

Im 22 yrs old, 171cm tall and 94kg.

i have between 1300-1500cals a day. I am very active at work though, i am on my feet all day, and i go to the gym 3-5 times a week.

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby sassi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:48 pm

i actually think that 1500 cals may be a little too low for your daily intake. i'm not sure what CK says but i'd say your maintenance calories (what you'd need to eat to stay the same weight) would be over 2000 per day.

i'm def no expert, but from what i understand, you need to leave yourself room to move & maybe to decrease your calories as you lose weight (as you lose weight the amount of calories to maintain your weight will decrease so you'll need to cut back on cals to keep losing). 1200 cals per day is considered the lowest you should consume - so you need to leave a buffer (so to speak!). some people seem to have success adjusting their calories each day - having (for example) 1800 one day & then 1300 the next. i'm not so good at doing that though!

what your daily calories is made up of, though, is really important - so not all 1800 calories are the same! it sounds like you've made some good changes already though :)
sassi

Return to Ask the Mob