It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Meal replacement shakes...

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Meal replacement shakes...

Postby meegs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Is it the young ones?

Why is it funny?
Dunno!! Just is!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:29 am

It is the Young Ones! It's from the episode 'Sick'. God I love that show!

It's funny on two levels. Most people know of 'Echo and the Bunnymen vaguely as a UK post-punk band. So there's the comic absurdity of writing to a punk band to complain about things rather than writing to your MP. For people who are fans of the band there's an additional comic element: 'Echo' is actually the band's drum machine. So Rick is writing to a drum machine to complain about trivial nonsense. :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 am

Interesting. I just looked up the band on Wikipedia and apparently they dispute that 'Echo' is the drum machine. It's just an urban legend in the band's fan community. 'Echo and the bunnymen' was just a random name someone suggested. So 'Echo' doesn't really exist. Nor would he really warrant the title 'Mr. Echo'. :lol:

I really should stop analysing Young Ones scripts so closely.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Czarina » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 am

Heavy!

I love The Young Ones! :D
Czarina

Postby foxyaussie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I had a optifast (i think) shake this morning before heading home from work.
About 5 mins later I started to feel so nauseous and yuck. I almost had to pull the car over as I found it difficult to focus on driving. This feeling lasted for a bit over 30 mins. I am wondering why this would happen? I followed the directions too and made it up with water, not milk. I tend to get low blood sugar levels hence why I wanted to have something in my stomach before leaving for home. With the night shifts I do I tend to stay up majority of the day before hand, go to work all night, go home have a few hours sleep and stay up for rest of day, work all night etc etc. So my food and body clock is totally out of whack. My stomach doesn't know whether it's arthur or martha!! :shock:

Anyone else had this type of experience with shakes? I am experimenting with different brands of shakes at the moment as I need to up my calories in a healthy way as I am not eating enough most days and/or nights.

Any advice much appreciated.
Jane :D
Heaviest Weight ever 82kg on 14/1/2009
81kg 15/2/2009
76.4kg 17/3/2009
76kg 23/3/09
75.5kg 30/3/09

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVb86a0/]
[/url]

Remember it's what's inside that matters the most.
foxyaussie

Postby Czarina » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 am

A lot of people feel like that on those type of shakes. Sounds like your body is screaming out to you "Real food only, please!". I'd suggest you listen to it.
Czarina

Postby foxyaussie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks for your reply Czarina. Yeah looks like I better get organised and plan healthy, quick and mobile snacks to take to work instead of shakes. I may try another shake once more, but with a little bit of food in my stomach beforehand to see if I have the same reaction, or if it was a once off. Either way I do prefer chewing my food (Yes my body is obviously telling me that too, for a good reason) rather than drinking it so will get off my butt and get organised.
Anyway glad to hear I'm not the only one that has had this concern. *Yay I'm normal!* :wink:
Have a good day everyone.

Jane :D
Heaviest Weight ever 82kg on 14/1/2009
81kg 15/2/2009
76.4kg 17/3/2009
76kg 23/3/09
75.5kg 30/3/09

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVb86a0/]
[/url]

Remember it's what's inside that matters the most.
foxyaussie

Postby downsicingsandy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:31 pm

I have started on Tony Ferguson, today is my second day and I feel really good. Because I have alot of weight to lose I am under full supervision of my GP, and am making changes to my entire life. The shake diet takes all temptation away from eating foods that I shouldn't. Over eating was never really my problem, but I would eat big meals at the wrong times, skip breakfast and snack during the day.
This diet gives me no excuse not to have breakfast, not to have my lunch, and not to have my fruit and vege during the day. Dinner at night is a protein with heaps of vegies, and I am feeling on top of the world, and its only day 2!!!

* Raises glass of meal replacement shake *
CHEERS GUYS, HERE'S TO OUR HEALTH

Sandy
downsicingsandy

Postby kristal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Good on you Sandy! I hope it goes really well for you. Some days or weeks you will find harder than others, but just keep thinking of your goal and future and you will push through.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby Shalimar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

I bought a Biggest Loser shake yesterday just to try it. I am not thinking of going down this road or anything, I just have always wondered what they taste like. So one morning when I am feeling brave I'll have it for breakfast along with my prunes and yoghurt or whatever.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 01, 2009 3:52 pm

I don't have shakes, but i do have an up and go for breakfast every morning :) And I really enjoy it! I wasn't a breakfast person before up and go, but its just so easy and convenient I have one every morning. And I really like the banana ones :)

I have a question tho, as i can see theres a fair bit of talk about up and go in here as well. Up and go is mainly soy, but as EWQ pointed out, has some skim milk powder in it too. But does up and go taste like those flavoured soy milks? I've never had soy milk before, and when I first started having up and go, didn't realise it was soy, but enjoy them. I can now tell they're soy, they hvae a weird taste about them. But does flavoured soy milk taste similar? If so, I might start getting some and try to have some of that each day :)
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Postby HeatherMarsh » Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 am

I purchased a big container of Isowhey in Vanilla, so that I could add my own flavourings (eg fruit) to it. My reasoning was - to remove temptation AND to make it possible to 'eat' more than once a day. Also, this product is high in protein to help protect against muscle loss during weight reduction. Apparently a calorie restricted diet results in 50/50 fat and muscle loss.

A dietician once told me that my daily calorie intake was too low - but the reason my body held onto my fat was that it was in starvation/conservation mode. The only way I would be able to break through my plateu would be to increase my daily calorie intake - but to break it into several snack sized meals instead of only one meal per day.

I also chose Isowhey because it has no soy as soy products provide a form of plant estrogen which can cause problems. Apparently, in order to be suitable for human consumption soy should be fermented - but that is a whole other topic.

I need to make more changes. I have discovered that grain based starches cause me to hold onto weight - and they are in almost everything. I was doing ok - then came Easter, when I usually make dozens of yeast buns for friends and family. AND eat them, too.

I am finding it difficult to eat more often. I have only been eating once or twice a day for years, and my digestive system has slowed accordingly.

The exercise side of things is difficult. MS causes fast fatiguing.

Hubby is very resistant to any changes in the menu. I need to go to a high protein low starch eating plan - starches are his favourite food group. :(

I must away - I need to be miles away before 12:30 today. This weekend is going to be a loss, healthy eating-wise.

On the plus side - I find most foods palatable and adore my vegetables, especially broccoli. I am experimenting with kefir fermentation to up my probiotic intakes (couldn't hurt)
HeatherMarsh

Postby glam1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi
I love my shakes.
prior to dieting i would have a dairy milk for brekky or a smoothie . so for me it hasnt been a huge change.

on the weekends i add icecubes fruit some times diet yogurt and a sachet and share it with my hubby- yummy!

i love eating, you no the chewing , but most of these shake diet tell you you must eat veges and fruit so thats what i do.
brekky - shake
m/tea - fruit or protein
lunch- salad and shake
a/tea- veges/nuts/yogurt(diet)
dinner- meat & veges

i just love that it takes away chioces because i get to tempted the first week was hard but it gets better.
glam1

Previous

Return to Ask the Mob