It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Free Newsletter

protein powder

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

protein powder

Postby Strawberry » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:15 pm

has anyone tried the musashi fat metabolising protein powder & has it worked 4 u?
i got some this afternoon, had it in place of my afternoon snack - its filled me up. I got the chocolate flavour - a bit too sweet tasting.
is it better 2 have it with water or skim milk? directions say either way - i'm guessing milk would make it more bulky?
Strawberry

Re: protein powder

Postby Strawberry » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:39 pm

bumping this up. :D

to those of u who drink protein powder - when do u drink it?

I'm not exactly sure if i should drink it as a snack meal or with my lunch/dinner meal.

someone please answer - the instructions on pack aren't helpful.
Strawberry

Postby SarahC » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 pm

I use a tonne of protein powder (literally lol), but I cook with it, I don't generally make protein shakes.

I would say, make the shake with water rather than milk, just to save on calories really. Also, if you put the water (or milk) into the shaker first, then put the powder on top, that sometimes helps it mix a little better and stops it sticking to the bottom of the shaker (annoying!).

As to when to drink it - ANYTIME :D Only exception, never drink it immediately before or during a workout. It will just sit in your tummy and cause major pain, ouch :(

You know what I do as well, chuck in a bit of soluble fibre like Benefibre - that will thicken it up a bit and make it a bit more filling :wink:
SarahC

Postby Tarz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:30 pm

Firstly you can have it with milk or water or BOTH! half and half. I don't like it with water and have it with milk - the calories aren't that much extra in a cup of milk.
I haven't had the metabloism one - i have the WPI formula.
And you can have the shake at so many different times! When i bought mine i was told don't have it more then oncea day - there is no need. But here are some different suggesstions of when to use it.
:arrow: as a snack - morning tea or arvo tea to keep you full between meals
:arrow: 30-45 min before a workout to give you the extra energy
:arrow: after a workout to help repair the muscles - also have been advised that this is more effective if you have a slice of white bread with jam at the same time (because the carbs in the bread and jam are easily broken down it helps the proteins get to your muscles)
:arrow: before bed instead of dessert. The protein keeps your digestive system going and stops your body going into starvation mode therefore stopping your metabolism from slowing.
:arrow: if you have oats for breakfast put a bit of powder in it to keep you full longer
:arrow: if your not going to get dinner for quite a while have a shake to stop you from munching on bad things.
:arrow: The powder can be used in lots of recipes maybe you can find some recipes with google.
hope these help.
Tarz

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:14 pm

thanks for those tips.
i have chocolate flavour SLM protein blend, i drank it with water today for my morning snack & was feeling a bit more-ish an hour later & had a piece of fruit.
i'll have to google some recipes with protein powder.
Strawberry

Postby sassi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:50 am

hey strawberry!

i use this one: http://webstore.cellbiology.com.au/inde ... etail&p=35

i ended up with it cos my PT recommended it.

i use it for a snack mostly - in the morning, after a workout or in the evening.

my fave recipe so far is water, protein powder (i have chocolate!), ice & a banana & then blended for a min or 2. yummy! choc-banana milkshake! (well, that's what it tastes like!). there are some great recipes online though. my pt does a choc-berry shake. i have to try it!
sassi

Postby Cac33 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:50 am

sassi wrote:my fave recipe so far is water, protein powder (i have chocolate!), ice & a banana & then blended for a min or 2. yummy! choc-banana milkshake! (well, that's what it tastes like!). there are some great recipes online though. my pt does a choc-berry shake. i have to try it!

Thats what I had for brekky this morning & its great! I used milk instead of water though. It fills you up for ages!!
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby sassi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:45 am

Cac33 wrote:
sassi wrote:my fave recipe so far is water, protein powder (i have chocolate!), ice & a banana & then blended for a min or 2. yummy! choc-banana milkshake! (well, that's what it tastes like!). there are some great recipes online though. my pt does a choc-berry shake. i have to try it!

Thats what I had for brekky this morning & its great! I used milk instead of water though. It fills you up for ages!!
yeah, i love them! if i have it for brekky i put some rolled oats in as well & maybe a drizzle of honey. i need a blender at work!
sassi

Return to Ask the Mob