It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:18 am

Free Newsletter

Calorie Consumption..to little???

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Calorie Consumption..to little???

Postby elle belle » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi
Ive just joined Calorie King and my calorie consumption is supposed to be 1240cals a day, i have never been over this im always under!! I am currently also on the Celebrity Slim program which recommends around 100g of carbs per day. Im finding i am always extremely under especially if i exercise but if i eat nemore food i will go over in carbs/ fats or protein. So im a bit confused, i would never starve myself & was reading on a few threads that ur overall calorie intake shouldnt be under 1200 otherwise u will start losing muscle mass & will not be able to maintain ur weightoss. Iam satisfied with what i eat i actualy feel fantastic i even ate 1/2 a block of dk chocolate & didnt go over the recommended calorie consumption. I think if i ate nemore i would feel sick. Or is the Calorie King not as accurate as it says it is?? I just want to have a healthy lifestyle not a lifestyle that i cant maintain. Also i lost 2.5kg in a week, is that healthy?? i did exercise but not excessivly. If i should most definately be eating more how do i go about to ease into it so i dont gain ne weight?? Please help im very confused??
elle belle

Re: Calorie Consumption..to little???

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:03 pm

You should really only lose between 0.5 and 1 kilograms per week for a healthy weight loss rate. However at the start of a diet you often lose a lot of water weight so this could account for your extra loss. And people who are obese or morbidly obese lose weight at a faster rate than those close to their healthy weight loss range.

I know many meal replacement plans are way under the recommended calorie intake. Now bear in mind the following is purely my opinion and other people may think differently. If you are following a very low calorie meal replacement plan under supervision of a doctor there is no problem. Also if you are obese or morbidly obese I've read somewhere that the starvation mode doesn't hit in the same way so it can be a good way to lose some initial weight, so if you fall into this category it should be safe as well. However if you are already within a healthy weight range eating dramatically fewer calories than what is good for you will end up being detrimental to your health if done long term.

If you are doing exercise I would recommend resistance or weight training. Any weight loss involves the loss of muscle as well as fat. If you are losing large amounts of weight and you are already relatively thin you are going to be losing a greater percentage of your muscle mass than a morbidly obese person would be (they start with greater muscle mass as well as greater amounts of fat). How much protein are you getting currently? Make sure you're getting plenty so that you can rebuild muscles while you are losing weight.

Meal replacements may help you lose the weight quickly but you need to ask yourself if you can then maintain your new weight. Are you planning on using meal replacements for the rest of your life to stay thin? If so talk to a GP or a nutritionist about this to ensure you're getting all the nutrients you need to stay healthy. Another thing to consider is that your body adjusts to lower calories so that you don't starve to death, slowing the metabolism accordingly. That's how you plateau even if you aren't in starvation mode. So if you are cutting calories to unsafe levels now what will you do when your weight loss slows or even stops? Will you cut calories further? And if you get to your goal weight are you planning on keeping your calories so dramatically low?

I recommend following Calorie King's suggestion of your minimum recommended calories. See how it goes for a few weeks. You may be pleasantly surprised. I know I beat a weight loss plateau at the start of the year by increasing my caloric intake.

One thing to remember is that the recommended minimum calorie intake varies from person to person. If you are in doubt then you should really talk to a nutritionist, dietitian or GP. Even talking to your pharmacist where you buy your meal replacements may help.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Cac33 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:You should really only lose between 0.5 and 1 kilograms per week for a healthy weight loss rate. However at the start of a diet you often lose a lot of water weight so this could account for your extra loss. And people who are obese or morbidly obese lose weight at a faster rate than those close to their healthy weight loss range.

I know many meal replacement plans are way under the recommended calorie intake. Now bear in mind the following is purely my opinion and other people may think differently. If you are following a very low calorie meal replacement plan under supervision of a doctor there is no problem. Also if you are obese or morbidly obese I've read somewhere that the starvation mode doesn't hit in the same way so it can be a good way to lose some initial weight, so if you fall into this category it should be safe as well. However if you are already within a healthy weight range eating dramatically fewer calories than what is good for you will end up being detrimental to your health if done long term.

If you are doing exercise I would recommend resistance or weight training. Any weight loss involves the loss of muscle as well as fat. If you are losing large amounts of weight and you are already relatively thin you are going to be losing a greater percentage of your muscle mass than a morbidly obese person would be (they start with greater muscle mass as well as greater amounts of fat). How much protein are you getting currently? Make sure you're getting plenty so that you can rebuild muscles while you are losing weight.

Meal replacements may help you lose the weight quickly but you need to ask yourself if you can then maintain your new weight. Are you planning on using meal replacements for the rest of your life to stay thin? If so talk to a GP or a nutritionist about this to ensure you're getting all the nutrients you need to stay healthy. Another thing to consider is that your body adjusts to lower calories so that you don't starve to death, slowing the metabolism accordingly. That's how you plateau even if you aren't in starvation mode. So if you are cutting calories to unsafe levels now what will you do when your weight loss slows or even stops? Will you cut calories further? And if you get to your goal weight are you planning on keeping your calories so dramatically low?

I recommend following Calorie King's suggestion of your minimum recommended calories. See how it goes for a few weeks. You may be pleasantly surprised. I know I beat a weight loss plateau at the start of the year by increasing my caloric intake.

One thing to remember is that the recommended minimum calorie intake varies from person to person. If you are in doubt then you should really talk to a nutritionist, dietitian or GP. Even talking to your pharmacist where you buy your meal replacements may help.

Good luck!

Can you see why I thought you were studying to be a doctor Ali??
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby elle belle » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:16 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:You should really only lose between 0.5 and 1 kilograms per week for a healthy weight loss rate. However at the start of a diet you often lose a lot of water weight so this could account for your extra loss. And people who are obese or morbidly obese lose weight at a faster rate than those close to their healthy weight loss range.

Good luck!

Hi Ali

Just wanted to say thankyou very much for your advice, I decided to see my nutritionist yesterday afternoon. She explained to me that even though i dont need to lose weight for health reasons - she believes i will have a healthier outlook if i do. I explained to her about celebrity slim & she said previous clients have had very pleasing results with the program & that 2.5kg drop @ the beginning is not a surprise. She said i should be more focused on toning up if i want rather than losing weight. I told her about calorie king to her which she had also heard of- she explained to me that even though i was entering every meal into the system - it wasnt very accurate because i didnt know what alot of the foods really contained (& they werent on calorie king). Anyway we did a exercise regarding my food diary - i was eating more like 1300 cals ( which was over :shock: ).
elle belle

Postby elle belle » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:21 am

She told me i was still welcome to continue the celebrity program & that to lose weight i need to drop 10cals so iam still intially losing weight.

Well thanks Ali for ur advice once again luckily turns out that i was doing ok :D

Have a geat wkx
elle belle

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Cac33 wrote:
Can you see why I thought you were studying to be a doctor Ali??

Haha! Well, they say if you want to find out about weight loss ask a failed dieter. I think part of the reason I've read so much on the subject is because so little seems to work for me! I'm always looking for new reasons why I'm not losing weight. Aside from laziness and stuffing my face, of course! :lol:

elle belle wrote:She told me i was still welcome to continue the celebrity program & that to lose weight i need to drop 10cals so iam still intially losing weight.

Well thanks Ali for ur advice once again luckily turns out that i was doing ok :D

I can't tell you how happy I am that you consulted an nutritionist. It's always best to play it safe where your health is concerned. It's great that you can keep going on Celebrity Slim seeing how you've had so much success on it so far. I hope it continues working for you, Elle!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Ask the Mob