It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:25 am

Free Newsletter

Extra Skin

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Extra Skin

Postby bielveras » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am

My name's Gabriel, and i'm 18 yrs old, i'm 1,83cm tall.

Ever since I was a child, I was overweight, and I peeked at about 96kg when I was 14 or so.
After that, I started loosing weight, and at about 16, I reached about 75kg. My hight also peeked when I was about 15.

When I was 17, I had already acumulated alot of excess skin... and I started working out in hopes of "filling in" the skin with muscular mass.
I'm at 83kg now, and my body fat is around 12%, but I'm still self conscious about the extra skin, because it does make me seem fat, even though I have very little actual fat. This is especially a problem when I sit down, or curve my torso, and the skin just gathers up at my stomach area...

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way for me to tighten my skin that doesn't involve surgery. I was once told that if I bulge up to the point where I stretch my skin a little, and then gradually loose the mass, the skin would adhere to the muscular mass, and when I leaned up it wouldn't result in extra skin. Is this possible? Another thing I've heard is that I should loose even more weight now, so that my body fat is at 8%.. and that would get rid of most of the extra skin..

If anyone had any knowladge on the subject, please gimme some insight.
Thanks!
bielveras

Re: Extra Skin

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 pm

Honestly I'd speak to a dermatologist about this. I know that skin adjusts if you lose the weight slowly, but I'm very dubious about the claim that bulking muscle mass then losing it is the way to go. After all, chances are you are going to be gaining muscle in places where you didn't have excess fat initially. So it probably won't affect the areas with loose skin anyway.

Have you been doing toning exercises? They can help reduce loose skin to an extent. Since your problem area seems to be the stomach maybe pilates could help.

A dermatologist, or even a GP, would have a better idea of non-surgical ways to tighten skin. If it's been loose for a number of years, though, I would expect that the only real 'cure' would be surgery.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Ask the Mob