It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:40 am

Free Newsletter

15 year old want to lose weight

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

15 year old want to lose weight

Postby johnzombie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 pm

Hi guys,
I'm i desperate need of some advice. I'm 15, Male, 5'11", and im 93Kg. I really want to lose about 10 Kg by November the 20th. I want to know if this is a healthy goal and how i can go about it. I currently go to gym about twice a week, which is the max i can possibly go, as i use the gym where my mum works and the only possible days i can go (because of other family commitments) are Monday and Friday. I would post my gym program but I don’t have it on me but I can tell you that the major part of my workout is sprints on an exercise bike on the 4th resistance setting. I do sprints up to 60 secs and back down to 0.
Am I going to be able to reach my goal? Am I going to end up with loose skin? Do i need to do anything extra? Any piece of advice is appreciated, no matter how small. Thanks everyone.
(P.S. sorry I couldn’t give you any more info.)

Re: 15 year old want to lose weight

Postby weightlosscoach » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi John

The first thing I would be looking at are the calories you are taking in compared to the calories you are outputting.
If you are taking in more calories than you are burning then you will gain weight.

A good tip is to complete a 7 day food diary. Write down every food or drink that you are putting into your body on a daily basis (no matter how small) and then add up the calories. If your workout is not burning a large % of this then you will not reach your goal.

How much water are you drinking too? A good tip is to drink a glass of water just before you eat anything. Your body will send the same signals when it is hungry or thirsty so it's best to check.

I would also suggest that if you have a tendency to overeat with sweets that your protein levels aren't right. Your body will keep wanting to eat until it gets enough protein so perhaps protein snacks, fish, beans etc will be good to incorporate into your diet.

Please let me know if I can help you further by reply

Best of luck with your goal

Postby Mandie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi, first of all could I ask why November 20th is the specific date you want to lose weight by? Is there a special event? Also, do you want to lose weight just for this date, or do you want to lose it and keep it off and keep being fit and healthy (i.e. will you keep going to the gym after November 20? will it still be twice a week?)

There was some good advice above - you really need to look at your eating habits if you are going to lose weight. Roughly, you need to cut down or cut out takeaway foods and cut out sugary sweets/soft drink. Try to eat 5 serves of vegies and 2 fruits every day. Your calorie needs will be higher than an adult of your size because you are still growing, therefore I'd recommend speaking to your GP or a dietician (some gyms have them, does yours?) about how to diet safely while you are still growing. It is important you still get the calories you require to continue growing and maturing!

In regards to the gym, it's great that you are going twice a week and it sounds like you are working hard at the bike. Make sure you do some weights too, this will help you to build muscle, which in turn burns more fat. Even if you can't make it to the gym on the other days, you will lose weight faster if you do some sort of exercise - can you go for a walk/run, play footy, go swimming, take the stairs everywhere you go, etc? That will help you best in the long run.

Good luck! I stress again - it's best if you see a professional such as a doctor or a nutritionist to examine your diet - for a growing teenager, your needs will be different to an adult so Internet sites and advice you get here may not be accurate or relevant to you.

Postby Freddy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Hey mate, looks like you're doing a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) program. After the 60 seconds sprint on the spinning bike, you take it slow for 30 seconds? If you ride slow your body returns to burning 0 fat... You should make sure you keep putting in some real effort, but not sprint. If you take it that way, you might be able to reach the 70% more calorie burning than by just cycling.

Though, if you have a lot of fat around your belly, you should do some ab workouts as well. Make sure you feel it afterward, because that's when the healing of your muscles kicks in. Every time your muscles heal because of a work out, they get a bit stronger. And besides, the more muscles you have, the more calories are burnt. So stronger abs lead to more fat burning around the belly/waist.

Return to Ask the Mob