It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:14 am

Free Newsletter

Is anybody here a Vegetarian and losing weight?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Is anybody here a Vegetarian and losing weight?

Postby warriorcat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Hello Good people,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. :)

I have been recently reevaluating my eating habits and have cut out meat and dairy (i still eat eggs).

I also don't eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes (although i occasionally indulge in sweet potato!) because i have insulin resistance and have to be careful with my carbohydrate intake.

I love vegetables and fruit and tofu, but am having trouble eating enough calories a day. Everyone keeps suggesting calorie king, which i am already using but i was wondering if anybody who might be a vegetarian would post a "typical" day of what they eat? I don't mean to be nosey but i just want to get an idea of how a vegetarian or vegan eats whilst losing weight so i can see if i'm doing the right thing.

Sorry if this question sounds dumb.

My typical day is:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
Snack: Apple
Lunch: Stirfry with tofu
Afternoon snack: vegetables (steamed)
Dinner: Eggplant lasagna (no cheese or pasta)

Plus i try to do about 30-60 minutes of exercise per day.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Re: Is anybody here a Vegetarian and losing weight?

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Hey, you sound exactly like me - vegetarian and low carb :D

I'm keeping a food diary on here at the moment. You can check it out if you like, in the food diary section.

Eggplant lasagne, now there's a good idea! You can also make it with zucchini. That must be on my list to try! :mrgreen:
SarahC

Postby jessica86 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:43 pm

im a vegan.

breakfast is usually muesli(i make my own) with low fat soymilk, sometimes with fruit on top. or i will have multigrain toast with avocado or vegan spaghetti.

lunch is usually vege soup with bread, or pasta & vegies or toast & avocado and usually a V8 juice as well.

dinner i have tofu & vegies, of pasta or noodles with vegies & tofu. not a big fan of tempeh. i also have this stuff i order off an online vegan shop, its a mixture that you can make into burger patties or sauages to have with salad or vegies.

snacks i usually have fruit or low fat soymilk or V8 juice, and for naughty treats i have vegan chocolate or vegan gingernut biscuits with a vegan hot chocolate.

i do alot of the stuf you cant have so im prolly not much help. it might be worth it if you saw a dietician or nutritionist who specializes in vegetarian or vegan weight loss plans.

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby warriorcat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Hey Sarah C and Jessica 86 thanks for your responses :)

Sarah C, I also use those giant mushrooms as lasagna sheets as well. Very yummy. I find whenever i cook a meal I always have to include ALL of my favourite vegetables i never leave anything out! Luckily i only cook for myself so no one else can complain! I have a recipe i can send you. I find it hard to cook with Eggplant because i don't have a grill, but i'm getting there!

Jessica 86, OMG do they make Vegan chocolate? That's awesome where does one purchase such a delight?

I've been having a glass of choc flavoured soy milk to substitute my sugar cravings.

Jessica86, do you know how many calories you're intaking a day (sorry to be nosey again)?

I can have some carbs but what i've been doing is trading off the carbs in bread, pasta and rice for chocolate! I know that's terrible! But that's what i'm trying to change, i just want to be healthy and to nourish my soul and body. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Postby jessica86 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:35 pm

i have about 1200-1500cals a day, depending on what im doing. if im not going to the gym one day, i will have less calories, but on the days i work out i have 1500cals.

i dont know if im allowed to post links, so if someone takes it off then so be it, but i get all my vegan delights from - http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/

you can also get vegan chocolate from most coles & woolies in the health food aisle, sweet williams is a popular brand. i get my vegan cookies from coles in the health food aisle.

another good resource you could try is the vegetarian/vegan society. each state has one. im a member and you get access to forums so you can talk to other vegans/vegetarians about things.

hope this helps!

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby SarahC » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Sweet williams also have a "no sugar added" chocolate, which is delicious!! There's also Well Naturally brand sugar-free chocolate (next to the sweet williams in the supermarket) which is great too. Yum :mrgreen:

The recipes sound great. PM them to me if you like, or post them in the Healthy Recipes section. Thanks! :D
SarahC

Postby Zoe! » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:10 pm

I am vegetarian - well i stopped eating red meat in grade 2 in primary school and over the last 5 months have turned completely vegetarian after eating protein based diets my body just completely turned off meat.

I dont want it or miss it at all!!

But I was just wondering if there is any good information out there that has examples of well balanced vegetarian diets just so I have some idea as to whether or not I am lacking in anything and whether I need to add to my diet.

I am taking a good multivitamin and a calcium tablet (i'm lactose intolerant as well, although I can have some natural yoghurt just not much of it before I get sick)
What you do today can improve all your tomorrows
Zoe!

Postby jessica86 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:56 pm

i think the main things about being vege is making sure u get enough iron, calcium & B12. eating a variety of fresh fruits & vegies, and including fortified foods such milk/soy/cheese etc (if u have dairy) and taking a good multivitamin (i take Fabfol- its a pregnancy tablet even though im not preggers, but its packed with iron, b12, folate & iodine) I see a weight loss coach once a week at my gym, and she says she finds her clients who are vegetarian or vegan seem to have better diets than others as we are more aware of the fact we need to supplement. the vegetarian society has a good little book which has the 4 food groups for vegetarians and sample diet plans, for people new to being vegetarian

<3 jess
jessica86

Return to Ask the Mob