It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 am

Free Newsletter

Gym Memberships

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Gym Memberships

Postby whit3tig3y » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm scouting around for information about gyms, I want to join one but I have a few questions/concerns.

My biggest concern is that gyms only accept people that weigh like under 100kg coz anyone higher might break the machines etc. Do gyms have this policy? Or another weight that they wont accept anyone over?

Also what kind of facilities would you expect for a basic membership at the different gyms around? I've heard of ones with and without pools, what machines they have etc.

Also, what prices are gym memberships? I'm going halves wit my mum so I don't want it to be too expensive for either of us as we both arent stinkng rich. Or even slightly smelling rich :lol:

If anyone has any info that falls into any of these questions please reply :D
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Re: Gym Memberships

Postby matchbox » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:14 pm

hey whitey :) i'm pretty sure that most gyms don't have a weight limit - pretty sure mine doesn't! mine is at the local sport and rec centre - its run by the YMCA i think, it's the closest one to me.

mine doesn't have a pool, but it has a gym upstairs (cardio, weights etc), offers personal training etc, and it actualy comes with free program appraisals (i've only had one though!) and it has classes free too, most of them les mills. it has term programs that are extra, pilates, boot camp etc. but if you've been with the gym more than 6 months i think you get bootcamp for free. oh and it has a free creche too.

i'm on a student one and its $42 a month (so about $10.50 a week) plus there was a once off joining fee. i joined because it was cheaper for me to pay for a months fees than do 1 class a week! (classes are $11 for non members) i think non student plans are about $47 a month.

hope that helps :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby whit3tig3y » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:53 pm

I dont think they have a weight limit per say, but I know alot of gym equipment has a max load limit. Alot of the machines i've seen have like a 110kg max load limit :( Which means someone like me at 122kg wouldnt be able to use it without risk of it breaking and gyms wouldn't like that. So they need to have equipment that can accomodate 122kg basically.

And its really embarrasing and daunting asking someone if their gym accomodates big pieces of lard like me :( its like saying "IM SUPER FAT CAN YOUR MACHINES TAKE MY LARD WITHOUT COLLAPSING?". Its so embarrasing but it has to be done :( In my emails I ask what weight they can handle so I know what weight I need to get down to before I join a gym :(

whit3tig3y

Postby shark » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:23 pm

And don't forget that like most other big ticket items, gym memberships are actually often negotiable. Try asking for 10% off if you sign up straight away, or an extra month free if you sign up for a year, or whatever, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
shark

Postby Tarz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm

It may be embarassing having to ask about the weight limits but i am sure they do get asked it alot. People that work at gyms do have tact and won't laugh or snigger, they are there to help and you may be lucky to find a gym that has higher weight limits for their equipment. Don't feel embarassed about asking the question, they probably get queries like that everyday.
My piece of advice when looking for a gym is ask for a trial, some will give 1 week free, some will give 4 sessions free, that way you can try it out, see if you feel comfortable there etc Also like Shark said, ask for a discount or do what i did and ask for freebies, I didn't have to pay for the joining fee and got a free back pack with little goodies in it.

I am a member at fernwood and i pay $44 a fortnight. Mines the basic package which means use of all the equipment and thats it, the packages above come with slimplicity session and pt sessions.
I have use of equipment, stretching area, strength area and classes that range from Yoga, body combat to rpm so big variety. Plus mine is an all girls gym so its less intimidating then seeing the guys there (and having them distract you with gorgous abs)

I hope you find the perfect gym for you.
Tarz

Postby hippy_shake » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Hey, first of all don't be embarrassed about asking gyms about their equipment, the people are there to help you and that's what they'll do :) I think the ones at my gym had a max of 150kg, so I think you'll be fine. You probably already know tonnes about my gym from my posts cuz I love it :P I signed up cuz I got 3 months for free, no signing up fee and then it'll be $16 a week. I'd suggest do a few trials and figure out what is important to you- once I had experienced a gym that had a womens only weights area I knew I wanted one with that, and then I also love cardio so I wanted to make sure they would also have enough equipment so that I wouldn't have to wait for machines etc. A gym that offers classes is also really good as they can help to get you out of an exercise rut of just doing the same thing every time you go. And like tarz said- ask for freebies, lots of gyms have incentives to get people to join up like a free month, or perhaps some free personal training sessions to get you started, or if you go to a Genesis ask if they have a monster motivator like mine do. Don't be afraid to ask questions and visit a few different ones before you decide :) Happy gym hunting :)
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08
CW:68.5
GW:60

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6qtd3I/]
hippy_shake

Postby whit3tig3y » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Yeah i'm hoping they have some equipment that I can use. I mean, 120kg isn't THAT uncommon. Alot of people can be around that. Plus aren't exercise machines meant to go hand in hand with fat people? :lol:

So far i've looked at a few in our area, ones called In-Balance and its run by YMCA, this ones within walking distance to my house so that would be good.

We have a genesis here, haven't looked into that one yet.

We have a curves, i'm NOT going there.

We have one called Aeromax, which so far, sounds like the best one. Even just for now, instead of getting a full membership they do casual memberships for people that want to casually go to group sessions or cycling sessions. That would be good as a starter :)

I've sent emails to them asking their prices and weight limits etc so we will see what they say :)

whit3tig3y

Postby Purpledog21 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:54 pm

The gyms would have machines that take alot of weight if they are a decent gym because the equipment they get are more expensive than what normal people pay and im around your weight and havent found any problems with the gym equipment. also when you sign up at the gym they will ask you specific questions and they can see what you look like (no ofence) so you wouldnt need to ask ive found.
Purpledog21

Postby lng86 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:23 am

I started at my gym at my heaviest weight... And did not have any problems whatsoever!

You will be fine!!!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby Mandie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:39 am

I joined a gym when I was 140kg.. and I could use all the equipment - I'm sure you'll find plenty of places that will be happy to have you! :)
Mandie

Postby whit3tig3y » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:05 am

That is so re-assuring! Thanks guys :) That was my biggest fear about going to the gym, that people would say I was too fat to use their equipment. I don't have any problems exercising in public as i'm 122kg and run in public sweating and breathing so heavily :P No shame lol

whit3tig3y

Postby candycane » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:28 am

yeah my mate at the gym is about 115kilos i think and she has no probs with the equipment. I go to fernwood like tara, i think its a great gym all the ladies are friendly and theres lots of good classes. I joined up and got 5 free personal training sessions with it, i pay $37.80 per fn (im a student) + personal training which is $38 per session.

Definately shop around u dont want to be stuck at a gym for 12 months which u hate because u wont go and you'll waste your money.
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby whit3tig3y » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:49 am

Most gyms have a 7 day free trial thing going on anyway, so I will try each of them. If they don't have a trial I'll request one. I'm sure they wont mind :)

whit3tig3y

Postby whit3tig3y » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:17 pm

I just got an email back from one of the gyms! The YMCA one.

They said they have no weight restrictions on machines so :D This is what this one is offering:

+ NON LOCK-IN Contract
+ 8 weeks free suspension a yr
+ Free health consultations and program tailoring
+ Open from 6am – 10:30 during the week
+ Free access to Group Fitness Classes
+ 10 Free entries to ANY YMCA in the world each year
+ Membership benefits program

Full Membership
Startup:$50
FREE startup until 30th September
$12.25 a week, debited fortnightly

Is that good?

whit3tig3y

Postby matchbox » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:41 pm

yeah that's really good! thats the same as the normal membership at my gym (im a student though so i get it like $2 a week cheaper lol) but mine is debited monthly lol.

thats good, no lock in, plus 8 weeks suspension (i've got 4) and you can go to any YMCA.sounds pretty good to me :)
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Return to Ask the Mob