It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:36 am

Free Newsletter

I need some advice

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

I need some advice

Postby ali76 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Most of you would know that I'm at the end of a month of bootcamp. At the beginning of the year I was very active and fit but then in March, I was hit by a car and all that went out the window. I was out of action for quite a while and bootcamp was going to be a way to get some of my strength and fitness back. It's been extraordinary hard, both physically and mentally to push myself so hard, but I'm very proud I've stuck with it.

I've surprised myself by actually coming to enjoy bootcamp (strange I know!) and I was thinking of going back for next month. I want to get fitter and lose some more inches (i'm off to the USA, Canada & Hawaii in 4 weeks so want to be as hot as possible!).

The thing is, my boss has asked me NOT to do bootcamp next month. She told me I look tired, drawn and the sparkle has gone out my life - that perhaps it's too much, too soon and taking too much of my energy. I also know that if she wasn't genuinely concerned, she wouldn't have said anything. The thing is, it makes me feel good about myself, both by being fitter and stronger, but also because I've stuck to something that would've been SO easy to quit.

I respect my boss a lot. She has this uncanny knack of knowing when I'm not quite right and has nailed it on the head this time - I'm not quite right. But she doesn't know that I suffer from depression and I've had a really tough few months, which may be why I'm a bit flat.

So - do i do bootcamp and not tell her? Do I do it and tell her? Do I explain about my depression? I know people judge mental illness, which is why I haven't told her before. HELP!!

Add to the mix, I've joined a brand spanking new gym so have access to that also, so if I don't do bootcamp, I can still exercise.

Any advice? Opinions?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Re: I need some advice

Postby curvygirl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:04 pm

I have gone through depression and received some very mixed reactions from people. :evil: You know her so you will know how she will react to it if you tell her. Depression is nothing to be ashamed of.
If bootcamp is making you feel good do it. If you are feeling tired and run down dont do it. I always know that I get worse when I get stressed and am finding it hard to cope. I am sure either way you will look fantastic for your holiday.
Do what makes YOU happy. :D
Wendy
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby hippy_shake » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Hey ali,

Maybe get some advice from the people who run bootcamp? To me, something so strenuous would probably be best done for a month to kickstart weight loss etc and then maybe have a break and do it again later. Maybe you could ask your boss what exactly it is that she has noticed, if its something you could fix by just getting a bit more sleep then maybe boot camp would be ok to do again but if its to do with more than that then maybe you need a break. I suppose the main thing is that you don't want to overdo it and be worn out or possibly sick for your holiday. You'll still look hot for your holiday :D but maybe getting up at 5am is taking its toll on you!

Hope it all works out for you :)
Love, Jane
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08
CW:68.5
GW:60

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6qtd3I/]
hippy_shake

Postby Shalimar » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:57 am

I would probably give boot camp the flick for a while and put my energies into the gym for a change. If you the find that you are really missing boot camp you can always go back :D

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby ali76 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:13 am

I really wanted to do bootcamp for September as I'm away for October then go back again for November or december for summer / christmas.

I know I'm looking and feeling tired but the benefits of bootcamp are unreal - both physically and mentally for me.

I think I might go and have a check up with my doctor on Tuesday (Mondays session at bootcamp is the fitness assessment you do at the start of each month - it will be interesting to see how far I've come in 4 weeks) so the new month doesn't technically start until Wednesday (which I'll be in Perth!). If I get the all clear, plus I'm back taking some vitamins to help me, I'll probably keep going.

I'm worried without the discipline of HAVING to go like with bootcamp, I'll waste my gym membership too. I seem to be all or nothing...
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby Strawberry » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:10 pm

sounds like u've made ur mind up to do it anyway. I suggest u tell ur boss, thank her for her concerns, tell her u've had the all clear from ur doc (when that happens). Are u getting enough sleep? taking multi-vitamines? Eating enough?
Strawberry

Postby ali76 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 pm

I think I'm sleeping enough, not sure about eating enough and I know I definately need more water.

When I sleep I toss and turn a lot so it's very interupted sleep which wouldn't help. I'm not sure what to do about this though??

I used to take multi-vitamins every day but stopped for some reason? I went to the chemist yesterday and they suggested vitamin B so I started that yesterday and will have that every morning...I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing! I want to look good for my holiday but not at the expense of my health!

I gave blood a few weeks ago and they mentioned that my hb levels had dropped quite substantially...from 151 to 124....does anyone know what that means? Could this be the problem? Is it iron maybe? Dr Mandie?!?!?

I haven't really made up my mind....I just know what I want to do, as opposed to what I need to do....**sigh**
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby lng86 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:46 am

Ali, you NEED to give your body a rest.

Needs are more important than wants!!!

You've gone through a lot this year... And it's fantastic that the boot camp has been terrific for you. However - you need to listen to your head rather than your heart this time round.

We'll keep you accountable at the gym. Maybe even get a personal trainer once a week?

Remember - there is only one you... There will be several boot camps in the future.

Hugs,
Lauren.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby matchbox » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:02 pm

hey ali, from my very limited science knowledge, plus a little bit of googling, a couple of things i'll say about your Hb count.

you should definately as the doc about it when you go for your checkup. i think the reason they told you was because your Hb needs to be at least 130 to donate? it is possible that you need to eat more iron (or take supplements - best to do it with vitamin C as it helps absorption i was told (my levels were a bit low too) ie have a steak with a glass of orange juice). it's possible you might be anaemic though. did you have your period when you donated? cos that can influence it too.

Basically, Hb (haemoglobin) is very very important and you need a decent count - it carries the blood from out lungs into our blood into our cells, we'd be pretty screwed without it. i think low Hb levels can be associated with fatigue, feeling sluggish etc.

sorry for rambling, i'm sure mandie can tell you a lot more than i have though!
Have FAITH in yourself
matchbox

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Ditto - could quite possibly be iron, which is the most common cause, though there are other reasons your hemoglobin might be low (such as lupus, kidney disease and so on)). You will get lethargy etc if you are low. If you think your diet is low in iron, or if you have bled a lot recently (menstruation or a large injury of some kind) you can help your body make more by making sure you have adequate water intake to produce more blood and by upping iron either via diet or supplements.

Foods high in iron are:
Red meat (wallaby and roo are particularly high in iron and also naturally lean)
innards like kidney liver and heart (but I don't blame you if you don't want to go there.. eeerrrggghhh)
surprisingly ground thyme has a high iron count of all things, but you wouldn't eat much of it I'm guessing
Most beans (kidney, adzuki etc) beans
Pine nuts and pumpkin seeds
Spinach has a high iron content, but it's not very available to your body to get at

Check out http://free-online-health.com/forums/fo ... 28330.aspx especially the bit about vegan and plant sources.

Also, Vitamin C aids absorption (I generally do a salad with capsicum in it with any iron rich foods I eat- capsicum is a great source of vitamin C) and caffeine and dairy apparently blocks it!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Mandie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Oh, I missed the Hb thing.. sorry, I'm paying attention now!

I'll start off by saying that a Hb of 151 for a female is really really good, upper limits of normal. And a Hb of 124 is probably higher than mine at the moment! You need to be above 120 to donate, but that's because you lose about 10 points of Hb for a pint of blood, so you'd drop to 110, which is the lower limit for females.

Females tend to vary their Hb heaps - due to periods. So if you are less than last time, you might have just had your period, or not eaten as much iron as you were back then? I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it at this point - you're still in the normal range. Make sure you keep your iron intake up with red meat 3 times a week, and keep an eye on how you are feeling - if you start feeling tired, run down, looking pale, hair starts to fall out, less energy etc - get your levels checked again by your doctor.

Hb levels fluctuate a lot - the best check of your iron is "iron studies" - that way, your doctor can check the iron stores in the blood - a snapshot of the last couple of months, say, rather than a Hb which just tells you that day! (basically..)
Mandie

Postby ali76 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks guys!

I probably haven't been eating as much red meat as I used to....I just went off it for some reason.

The lady at the blood centre told me that 151 was really high and 124 was nothing to worry about but she was just concerned it dropped so much so quickly...and I hadn't just had my period or anything. I really think it was a change in diet and exercise maybe?

I've been back taking multi vitamins and B-B-B-B-B-B-B-Bercocca every day and I feel a bit better. Also making sure I'm drinking heaps of water. I have a letter to take to my GP so I must do that...next week...!

You guys rock...thanks again xoxox
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby mummy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Ali,

Vitamin B is great for depression. My ex was advised by his naturopath to take it in large doses for that very reason. It's supposed to make you feel on top of the world. Coupling that with the exercise you've been doing should be really getting those endorphins pumping. The satisfaction and self esteem that comes from really sticking to something makes it all worthwhile.
Good on you!

Cheers, from another Ali :)
mummy

Return to Ask the Mob