It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Low or No Carb Diet

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Low or No Carb Diet

Postby curvygirl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 am

I went to see me Natrapath yesterday to get some results of some tests. It revealed that I should eat much less sugar and carbohydrates. She suggested a low carb diet to kick me off. Has any lost weight this way and what did you eat. I know that I eat far too much sugar even when I am trying to be good.
Would love to hear your suggestions.
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Re: Low or No Carb Diet

Postby SarahC » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Yep, low carber here :D

Low carb is a great way of eating! Besides anything else, I find the greatest benefit is appetite control, you will be far less hungry on a low carb diet, just because of the stabilising of blood sugar levels.

There's some great sugar alternatives out there. The very best is stevia, which is a natural herb. You can get it in powder, liquid or tablets in any health food store. Just use it in place of sugar in tea/coffee and in recipes. Close second is splenda as it's based on sugar.

In the supermarket there's a lot of sugar free lollies that are great for when you need something sweet. I like the Double D lollies, and Extra sugar free drops. There's also sugar free chocolate, Well Naturally brand is in the health food aisles.

Empower foods have a great range of stuff - they have bread, wraps, muffin and cookie mixes. And a forum lol. Empowerfoods.com.au :D

Hope that helps!
SarahC

Postby Sas » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:50 pm

I used to be on low carb and lost quite a bit of weight. Recently I have had to reintroduce some more carbs as I was finding I didn't have enough energy to do all the exercise I do.

I found I felt really good on low carb... didn't feel really full which was great and felt quiet good on it. There are heaps of low carbs things out there which are pretty yummy and there are heaps of recipe's online that show you how to make your favourite things but in a low carb way.

Good luck with it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby curvygirl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:04 pm

What do you eat for breakfast?
Need to get motivated.

Mini Goal - 10 Kilos lost 14th May Acheived 2nd May, Yahoo
1st goal - 100kg 5th July
2nd goal - 90kg 4th October
3rd goal - 85kg 15th November
4th goal - 80kg 20th December
5th goal - 70kg 3rd June 2011
curvygirl

Postby growler » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:18 pm

If you currently eat a lot of sugar, you may find it easier to just start with cutting down on those products, in effect you will be going on a "lower" carb diet to start with.
So for example if your current breakfast was say a glass of juice, cereal that has a high sugar content, and or white bread with honey or some other high sugar spread. You could swap into Half a glass of juice (try watering it down a bit each day so your taste buds get used to the flavor change). Your cereal alternative could be a serve of low fat yogurt mixed with some musli and just by eating brown or wholemeal bread or toast you make a big change to both the type of sugar you consume (much lower GI) and also the quantity.
Carbs generally are processed quickly by your body, whereas protein takes quite a bit longer. This is why people who go onto a low carb or conversly high protein diet often suffer less from the "hungaries".
Be careful not to go overboard though, your body still need a good supply of carbohydrates, just try to keep them down to the low GI ones if you can.
I hope that helps, and good luck.
Remember persistence pays off, so get over it and get on with it!
http://mmolbiz.com/howtolooseweightfast/
growler

Postby Sas » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:40 pm

I make a frittata at the start of the week to eat at work for breaky... recepie is:
3 eggs
1 cup milk
mushrooms
tomato
low fat bacon rasher
3/4 cup of grated cheese
and I also add corn sometimes too
basically beat the eggs and add milk mix in together then add the rest and cook in the oven for 30-45 mins or until it is set. I just re-heat a slice each morning and I'm not hungry till around 1.30/2.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby warriorcat » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:42 pm

I am a low carb vegan. I find it just works better for me and i feel healthier and better. I didn't find it hard when i started, it was more having to become accustom to not eating rice, pasta etc. I wasn't vegan when i started low carb, so when i'd have bolognase or curry, I would make a big plate of vegetables to eat with the meat. BUt now that i don't eat meat at all i just make vegetable stir frys and salads and stuff like that. :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkR2Tlx/]
[/url]
warriorcat

Postby Diminishing » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:34 am

I am on low carb. It works for me.

I use CK and my % split of fat/protein & carbs is:

1200 cals
26g fat
135g protein
105 carbs

I find CK an easy way to track it all and it keeps me on the straight & narrow.

What it has shown me is that anything with any high amount of sugar sends my carbs sky high, so I can't "afford" them, LOL!

But I can eat a shed load of "good" carbs (fruit and veggies & 1 serve of wholegrain something) a day. And pretty much as much low fat protein as I want.......lots of fish, eggs, meat.........

I have even found high protein low carb snacks which fit, like roasted fava beans.........
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby Rosie Peters » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 pm

I eat my carbs mainly in the first half of the day and make sure I eat something every 2-3 hours.

Breakfast - home made muesli
After morning workout - protein bar
Morning tea - piece of fruit
Lunch - meat and salad in lunchbox or sandwich
Afternoon tea - piece of fruit
Dinner - lean meat and veggies or salad (not potatoes)
Snack - fruit and low fat yoghurt or cottage cheese

Re too much sugar, it's a habit that will take a few weeks to break, but eating a little good stuff at regular intervals will stop the sugar cravings if you are determined to make it work for you. :D

If you lack energy due to low carbs, more lean protein can help, but a moderate carbs diet tapering off at night should also work pretty well.

If you get on a weight loss plateau, low carb for a few days in a row can kickstart the fat loss again.
Rosie Peters

Postby jessica86 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:54 am

you need to remember there are 2 types of carbs, simple & complex.

simple carbs, like white breads, rice 7 pasta & sugar should be avoided.

complex carbs like wholegrain breads, rice & pastas are good for you, and have a low GI.

examples of complex carbs i use daily- multigrain bread, wholemeal pita bread, wholegrain pasta & brown rice. sweet potato is also good.

<3 jess
jessica86

Postby lucyd » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:20 am

I think part of the problem can be with losing energy or even disrupting your metabolism.

Carbs aren't the enemy. As long as you eat good, filling, nutritious carbs, you should be fine. I for one don't like the thought of carb deprivation
lucyd

Return to Ask the Mob