It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Tips for a Gym Virgin Please?!

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Tips for a Gym Virgin Please?!

Postby hippy_chick » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi all.

I would like some tips from gym junkies please! As joining a gym isn't feasable for me at the moment, I am devising my own machine-free gym program and would like some help and tips!

At the gym, I know they advise to work on one particular area per day. These are the kind of tips I'd like, plus any exericises for specific areas anyone can recommend?

I will be doing a little cardio in the form of treadmill in the meagre gym my office building has to offer, but I will be setting aside 1/2 our each morning before work for resistance exercises. I would like to focus on arms (in particular the nanna-hanger parts!), stomach, thighs and butt.

A little background info: I am living in London, where it is now windy and cold, which means I can't exericise outdoors - I am returning to Australia shortly, which is also why I asm not currently playing any sports or anything. That's why I'm creating my OWN gym of sorts!

Any help with tips would be great!
Slow & Steady Wins the Race!

I'm imformed, committed & consistant. I'm loving my body & working towards a sustainable body, the healthy way.

Persistance will set you free.

Re: Tips for a Gym Virgin Please?!

Postby Glenny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 pm

Well, those nanna-hanger parts (good name BTW) are your triceps and doing 3 sets of 12-15 dips on a coffee table will start to get them going. You could also grab a weight such as a heavy can of food and raise your arm straight up beside your head then work your triceps by bending at the elbow and slowly pushing the arm straight up again. Good luck and I'm very glad we are back in summer gear here.
A diet is the penalty we pay for exceeding the feed limit. ~Author Unknown

Postby Freddy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:16 pm

I can't help but saying one thing....

....You've been deflowered.

(Sorry about that, back on topic now)

Postby Sas » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 pm

As Glenny said tricep dips are great. Other exercise you can do easily are:
- push ups: start doing them on your knees and try to do them on your toes. Maybe add one on your toes each day.
- sit ups: you can do just the normal sit up plus do them on each side, leg lowers, side touches, ab prone/brace (google abdominal exercises and heaps come up with really good instructions)
- squats: do just the normal ones, go to the bottom of the squat and do small pulses, lean against a wall and do a squat hold
- lunges: do them with some cans of food in your hands to make them harder, hold on each side in the low position and again do the pulses
- squat jumps: these are awesome to get your heart rate up. Do jumps across the room and maybe do a push up and then jump back again.
- Bicep curls: fill some shopping bags with heavy things or use cans.

I hope alll that makes sense and gives you some ideas... sorry if I didn't explain the exercises very well! Good luck! :)

Postby Freddy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Here you go: ExRx

This website explains what Sas just said. Has animated images to show exactly what you should do. You can choose the muscular group you want to work out, and it gives you the exact excercises you should do.

Return to Ask the Mob