It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:49 am

Free Newsletter

Pool Exercises

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Pool Exercises

Postby cherricola » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi All!!

Just wondering if anyone can help me with some different types of exercises I can do in the pool at home, besides the obvious swimming... I used to do water aerobics a few years ago, but can't remember a lot of the things we used to do.

I'm going to buy some of the dumb-bell's you use in the pool this week and want to try and learn all different things I can do in there...

Any suggestions would be great!!

Re: Pool Exercises

Postby Cac33 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:27 pm

There is lots you can do:

:arrow: jumping jacks
:arrow: the same action of skipping including your arms so you dip under water then up in the air
:arrow: kick your leg & reach out with your opposite arm then swap to the other side
:arrow: if you have pool noodles push the noodle up & down under the water
:arrow: use the pool noodle to push out in front of you just below the water surface
:arrow: tread water
:arrow: in the deep end with your arms out streched on either side of you then tuck your legs up to your chest & push your legs out to one side tuck back under then stretch out to the other side (without touching the ground at all). It's hard but very good for your core
:arrow: depending on how big your pool is but run around the edges of your pool to create a whirl pool then change directions. Good for your legs.

That's all I can think of that I do but pretty much anything that your constantly moving & creating friction with the water is good exercise.

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70

Postby mummy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 am

I used to do water aerobics too.
A great exercise is to get a noodle and bend it round into a single knot. Stand in the pool's shallow end holding onto the edge side on, then lift the leg that is away from the side edge up and slip your foot through the loop made in the noodle. Standing with a straight back and legs push the leg with the noodle on the ankle down until it touches the floor of the pool then only slowly let it come back up. The slower you do both directions, the better!
Oh, and have some music playing, makes it far less boring.
You can also buy paddles that fit over your hands or webbed gloves that create much more resistance when moving your arms through the water and give your upper body a much better workout.

Postby cherricola » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks guys!! Both are very helpful!! :D

All week I've basically been swimming laps - can only get in about 8 strokes for the length of the pool, but I'm so unfit that I am puffing after doing a few... Managed to get in 40 laps this morning though.

I'm off to Amart tonight to get some water dumbbells... so we'll see how they go, and what other goodies I can find!! :D

Postby bulatasy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:55 pm

I really enjoyed the replys here also, i find the pool great for exercising and the running around the pool then changing directions has become a great game for myself and my son, so i kill two birds with on stone!

cherricola....... How have you been going with the exercises in the pool and what other goodies did u find for the pool?

Postby cherricola » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:05 am

bulatasy wrote: How have you been going with the exercises in the pool and what other goodies did u find for the pool?

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, I've been a bit vacant on the forums lately...

I didn't end up finding any dumbells etc, but I did find a lot of different exercises you can do with just the noodles in the pool on youtube.

I've basically just been doing laps and some of the exercises with the noodle, as well as Curves and walking the dog... The scales are starting to show results, but I can't see it yet.. :( oh well soon enough hopefully I'll start seeing some results that will keep me motivated...

Postby liz1984 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:42 pm

I go to Fitness First and they have a pool. Now coz im a shift worker its hard to go to classes that i want to go to. But i found out that they have a aqua aerobics on Sat ams which I will try to get along to.

When my friend came along with me to the pool, we basically had a noodle behind our back under our arms and then just did like backstroke stuff....really gets the cardio going well.

Return to Ask the Mob