It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:46 am

Free Newsletter

Emotional Eater seeks advice

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Emotional Eater seeks advice

Postby Alexandra » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 am

As I get older and life more challenging, healthy food choices seem more difficult (and my weight increases as a result). I know I should be reaching for an apple or a salad but junk food seems to be some sort of crutch or comfort - an addiction (one where I can't go down to the chemist and pick up some patches!). I don't drink or smoke but potato chips and coke have to be close right?

I will go all week on my healthy eating plan and exercise then some difficult or distressing event will occur and I will blow my whole weeks efforts in 10 minutes of weakness. This is a particularly bad time for me with my father very ill with cancer and not expected to make it to Christmas. Then this week a few more tears than usual when my cat died. No one is immune from these sorts of set backs and difficult times in life - everyone has them, but not everyone eats junk food for comfort.

I was wondering how you have perhaps found ways to reduce or stop your emotional eating (if you are one like me), especially at times in your life that seem hard? I know I need to conquer this if I am to sustain a healthy weight range.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alexandra
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Re: Emotional Eater seeks advice

Postby Shalimar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:04 am

Hi Alexandra, the thing to remember is if you have a moment of weakness and do give in is to get over it and get back on track, you may well find those weak moments becoming less and less as time goes on.

I must admit that I'm not an emotional eater though really, I just ate purely for the taste. Potato crisps and Coke featured daily in my diet before I started losing weight :wink: .

Good luck :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby shastabell » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi alexandra

im totally an emotional eater...the good the bad and the ugly. i still struggle with it now, although i think for now i have it under control as my desire to loose weight is stronger than my need to eat. Its something i try not to beat myself up about becasue that just seems to make things worse. I know what you are going through with your dad as i lost my mum to cancer 7 years this xmas eve. it was one of the hardest thing to go through and food was how i conforted myself.
i got through by getting help and then helping myself, by writting down what i was scared of, what i felt and thought, all the chaos and not judged myself for it and then burned it all so i could let go of it. Since then you know,i still loose control, still cave in but i give myself permission to do so and then somehow i can pull out of it. Over the last year or so its been getting the better of me, as i adjust to a new relationship and my health issues and money, all the usual things. i just waited till i was ready, till my body was ready to say na, ive had enough and want something healithier. Now i give myself something else to focus on to comfort myself, a bath,(were on tank water so this is a real treat) or buy myself a magazine ive wanted to read or a that plant ive had my eye on and work in my garden, it keeps me sane and helps me to focus my attention elsewhere.
Hope that helps somewhat

sharon
shastabell

Postby meegs » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi Alex ( can I call you that?),
I have only just read this post.

I am sorry about your cat, and I am sorry about your Dad.

I can't give you any advice on emotional over-eating, I just felt I was an everything over-eater... even when I was sick I could eat like a horse!

Writing everything down certainly seems like a good way of doing it, and Sue's previous advice also seemed valid.

I am, as always, thinking of you.
All the best,
Meegs
xxxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZmhU33/]
[/url]
meegs

Postby Alexandra » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:52 am

Thanks Sharon, that's great advice - I'll give that ago, thanks for sharing your struggles (I'm sorry :( )

Meegs, thanks for your post and lovely comments as always - you're such a great support - thanks mate *hugs*
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Return to Ask the Mob