It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:34 am

Free Newsletter

Calories - to count or not to count??

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Calories - to count or not to count??

Postby PumpkinKitty » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi all,

Am wondering what has and hasn't worked for others in relation to counting calories.

I tried counting calories a couple of years ago, but it was too difficult.
It was so complicated working out what a serve ended up "costing" when it was made and then split into different sized portions for different people. Also, I found it too hard to stick to counting because so much of the counting was guesswork - "Is this a large or a medium apple?" And there was no way I was going to be weighing every single ingredient in a meal to then be able to work out how many calories made up the meal etc.

Yet I hear so much stuff about reduce the calorie intake etc etc and increase the calorie output etc etc.

How am I supposed to know what goes in and what I expend if I don't count? But how am I supposed to count when it's so complicated?

Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks
PumpkinKitty

Re: Calories - to count or not to count??

Postby Czarina » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm definitely in the calorie counting camp. For me, it takes a load off my mind knowing that I am consuming what I need to lose weight - and lose it the healthy way. At first it was a bit annoying weighing and counting, etc, but I got used to it. To make it easier on myself I've got a book where I record the calories for different meals, so it wasn't long before I had the information for just about every meal I make! I also thought weighing everything would be something I wasn't willing to do, but now I have a great set of kitchen scales and I love them! It's just such a relief for me at the end of the day to know for sure that I'm doing the right thing, I think about food a lot less and don't worry about the whole thing nearly as much! But that's just me...
Czarina

Postby PumpkinKitty » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Thanks for the reply Czarina,

I'm glad counting calories works for you and that you have been able to make it work.

I am considering trying to count calories again, but I really am not looking forward to it. Anyone got any suggestions on how to make it easier and simpler than what it was for me last time?

Thanks again.
PumpkinKitty

Postby conscientia » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:22 pm

I have used CalorieKing only for like a week now but it is awesome! I had no clue about counting calories and this fancy little thing does all the hard work for me lol

I just input my meal plans for the day first thing in the morning so not only does it count the calories, it gives me an outline to stik to so I am less likely to stray and just eat whatever
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqWyt8Z/]
[/url]

SW: 111.7 (07/11/08)
CW: 96.6 (6/04/09)
GW: 69
LTD: 15.1
conscientia

Postby PumpkinKitty » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks conscientia - will have to check it out.

I wonder if I start by putting in at night to see what I am eating, then move to doing it in the morning, if that might help me see where I am going haywire.
PumpkinKitty

Return to Ask the Mob