It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Weights - Are they Essential?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Weights - Are they Essential?

Postby Aco » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 pm

So tell me, is lifting weights essential to the weight loss process? If so then how?
Aco

Re: Weights - Are they Essential?

Postby Jisgone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:07 am

they arent essential but they help!
basically muscle needs more calories to live than fat
so by having more muscle u burn more calories just by being alive
Jisgone

Postby mumnbub » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:13 am

It is important to tone up the body so that as you lose weight your body will look more toned instead of just a saggy mess. Muscle will also help burn fat and weight bearing exercise hels prevent osteoperosis.

I think its important to combine cardio and weights. always start of slow with a small weight and stop when it hurts
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Im SO Fat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi

I have been doing weights for about two months now and i even do weight classes but the only results i ever get is looking like a body builder and i girl it doesnt look too pleasent and i havnt lost any weight am i doing something wrong. :?:
Im SO Fat

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:09 pm

Perhaps you should try resistance exercise that builds lean muscle instead of bulky muscle. Something like pilates. Or if you are using hand weights go for more reps with a lower weight rather than standard reps with a heavier weight. Are you also doing cardio work to burn fat quickly? Increased muscle raises your resting metabolism, but you have to check you're not also increasing what you eat to compensate.

To answer the question of whether weights are essential, weights as a tool aren't necessarily essential but strength training in general is highly advisable. You don't need weights for that, you can use your own body weight like with squats, push-ups and tricep dips. The chief reason you need to build muscle is that when you lose weight you lose both fat and muscle. So it's not a matter of building more muscle in many instances, it's about keeping what you already have.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Ally147 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:06 pm

EWQ answered that very well. The optimal result from resistance training is an increase in lean muscle which increases metabolism therefore helping the process of losing weight. Mixing resistance training and cardio are great (BUT NOT ON THE SAME DAYS).... when you do a weights session you should only do a weights session. If you complete a cardio workout and do resistance as well then you are already tired and you do not gain the full benefits from either workout, so set it up so that you are doing say Cardio 3 days a week and resistance training 3 days a week and one REST day... don't push your body too far!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIbKc5e/]
[/url]
Ally147

Return to Ask the Mob