It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:03 am

Free Newsletter

Help! I need advise on my diet

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Help! I need advise on my diet

Postby fiona_apple » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 pm

I gained almost 7 kilos in the last 3 months, and now look like a ball :( ,
Christmas is coming and I am going to see my boyfriend's family and friends. Now I cannot fit in most of my jeans and dresses, and have nothing to wear in the holidays :(
My goal is to lose at least 4 kilos before Xmas, seems to be a hard challenge.

I am 161cm tall, and 59-60 kilos, with a very big belly and hip. Here is my plan:

Diet:
Breakfast: cereal + non-fat milk
Lunch: 2 eggs
Snack: 4 apples - during the day
Dinner: chicken soup (200 grams chicken with cabbage and onion)

Work-out: 45 mins walking a day.

Is it a reasonable plan? Could anybody give me advise on what i should do to achieve my goal ?

Lots of thanks!!! :P :P :P
fiona_apple

Re: Help! I need advise on my diet

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Given that Christmas is less than 3 weeks away I'd aim for between 2 and 3 kilos loss. Anything more than that would require unhealthy extremes given how close you are to your goal weight.

The diet you are proposing seems far too low in calories to me. For most people the lowest safe number of calories per day is 1200. If you go below that your body is going to prepare for famine conditions by slowing your metabolism, which is going to make it even harder to lose weight! If you really want to follow this meal plan I'd speak to a dietitian first. They'll be able to see if it's healthy for you or not.

You have a few different healthy options. Since you need to lose a few kilos quickly you could try switching to a low carb diet, or even a vegan diet. If it's dramatically different from your normal diet it could shock your body into losing a few kilos relatively quickly. You could count calories to ensure you can lose between 0.5kg and 1.0kg per week (a lot of us here use Calorie King to keep track of what we eat, how much we exercise and our overall calorie counts). Or just focus on eating healthy wholegrains and unprocessed food. Combined with 45 minutes of walking a day and portion control that should have you losing a few kilos.

Better still, look at why you gained 7 kilos in only a few months. Was it too much junk food? Too much alcohol? Too large portions? By fixing the thing that made you gain weight in the first place you should be able to lose the kilos you gained.

Good luck! Just please remember to lose the weight in a healthy manner. Starving yourself is neither fun nor healthy!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 am

I agree with EWQ- Thats too little food for one day, if you eat that little over a few weeks your body will go into starvation mode which will make it even harder to lose weight and the moment you eat anything unhealthy your body will store it as fat so you might gain weight. Add a few more healhy options, there is nothing wrong with the food you have chosen- they are great food, but you need to add to it. Maybe have a slice of wholegrain bread with your eggs for lunch, I love the burgain soy lin bread with eggs. Have fruit as morning tea and afternoon tea, at night a small serve of meat and lovely fresh steamed veggies. I dont have any real knowledge of what foods are best but I know you need more in your diet.

Good luck :) If all else fails, maybe see a dietitian- they will let you know what to eat.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby fiona_apple » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:31 am

Thank you very much for your kind advise, Ali!
Admittedly, i know that losing 4 kilos in less than 3 weeks is neither healthy nor practical goal. But I still wanna reach it.
I tried to make a menu which varies around 1000-1200 calories, and actually i have done it for 3 days. Feel no loss at all. But it's also not so hard for me to stick to it, at least the last 3 days. But I don't really think I can lose 4 kilos with it.
Could you pls tell me more about the vegan diet ? How long should I have it ? Should i do more work-out to speed up the losing weight process whist keep on doing my current diet ? I know that I shouldn't be impatient, but... :(

On the reason for that I gained 7 kilos in only a few months, I think it was too much ice-cream, chocolate, biscuits, pan cake... I have the same portion and snacks to my boyfriend's, while he jogs 10 km every two days and does 100 push-ups everyday. That's it.
fiona_apple

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:33 am

1000 to 1200 calories really isn't enough. You need over 1200 calories unless you are under medical supervision and a doctor or dietitian has approved of you having fewer calories than that.

You can sign up for a free account at Calorie King to find out your recommended daily calorie intake to lose between 0.5kg and 1.0kg per week. I strongly recommend losing weight at that rate because otherwise you're risking inadequate nutrition. Also, it would qualify as crash dieting. That could set up (or perpetuate) a long term issue with yo-yo dieting, which is even worse for your health than being overweight to begin with.

There is a free 12 day diet plan at the McDougall Program website. The program there is vegan and many people have experienced good results on it. It didn't work for me but you don't know what works and what doesn't work for you until you try it. It's high carb low fat. A word of warning: you'll need to drink a lot of water to flush that extra fibre through you or you'll end up constipated on it.

A great deal of veganism is simply substituting vegetable based products for animal based products. For instance, I have oats in the morning but with low fat soy milk instead of cow's milk. If I have a sandwich it's just a salad sandwich with no cheese or meat. Dinner is often a dish with lentils, beans or tofu for protein, HEAPS of veggies and a small amount of carbs. If you are planning to follow a vegan diet long term it is absolutely necessary to take B12 supplements. If you're only going to follow it for a few weeks to jump-start some weight loss you won't need that as you will already have plenty of B12 stores in your body.

This is a great vegan low fat recipe website: Fatfree Vegan Recipes

If you don't want to go vegan you could always substitute lower fat and lower calorie options into your normal diet. Skim milk instead of normal milk. Low fat cheese (and less of it) rather than normal cheese. Spread your salad sandwiches with a little mustard for flavour instead of margarine or mayonnaise. Use fat free salad dressings. Use fake sugar or stevia (available at health food shops) instead of sugar. Cut down on your carbs. Check your portion sizes. Don't use oil in cooking, or if you absolutely have to use a small amount of spray oil.

Another option is to bulk up your diet with steamed veggies and salads. Make sure half your dinner plate is vegetables, one quarter is protein and one quarter carbs. Alternate days of cardio workouts with days with resistance or weight training. Building muscle helps burn extra calories while resting and tones your body so you look even better when you lose the weight. You could find something as simple as this is the way you can most effectively lose weight.

Your portion control and sugary treats could be the issue here. You say you eat the same amount as your boyfriend, you should be eating less if you have a smaller body than him. Smaller bodies require fewer calories to keep going so eating the same amount as a larger male means you'll most likely gain weight. Especially since he burns off those calories through running and push-ups! If you want to keep eating the same stuff you'll need to start working out just like him to burn the calories off. And if you want to lose weight relatively quickly you'll need to completely eliminate ice-cream, chocolate, biscuits, etc. from your diet. If you were planning long term weight loss at a slower rate you could factor in a couple of treats per week. Look at reintroducing small amounts once you get to goal. Above all don't go back to your old lifestyle once you get to goal weight! Not only will it undo all your good work, you will become a yo-yo dieter. And as I said earlier that is incredibly bad for your health.

Good luck! And please, please, please increase your calorie intake! Either that or talk to a doctor about your weight loss plans so that he or she can keep an eye on your health.

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:40 am

EWQ, You always seem to have great advice. I think I might try the vegan diet for a little while and see if it gets me out of this slump and back on track- am getting close to reaching my goal but just cant seem to get anywhere at the moment.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:17 am

Normally I don't advocate any one eating plan for long term weight loss. After all, the body is great at adjusting to stuff so eventually it won't work. Case in point: I managed to gain 20kg while being vegan! However I think sudden changes in diet can take the body by surprise and quickly shift a couple of kilos or help kick-start weight loss after a plateau. And veganism is a healthy alternative, especially in the short term. You still need to avoid too much added fat, but mercifully there aren't that many fatty fruit or vegetables. Coconut, nuts, avocado and olives should all be eaten sparingly. And avoid coconut milk or coconut cream like the plague! I'm sure that at least 10 of those 20 kilos I gained came from coconut fats alone. :wink:

If you decide to follow veganism long-term make sure you get B12 supplements. Also keep an eye on portion sizing. Because veggies don't sit as heavy in the stomach as meat does it can be tempting to overeat starchy carbs to get the same sense of fullness.

Good luck to both of you! Maybe we need to start a vegan thread for people who want to try it out!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby fiona_apple » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Thanks again for your advise.
I has increased my intake calories to 1500 a day, and increased physical activities to at least 1 hour a day.
Hope that I can see a small change after a week, although sometimes it's really hard for me to resist 2-3 cookies.
Vegan diet may not be suitable to me, because I cant stand the diet without protein. What's more, I cant give up 2 or 3 cups or coffee (with low fat milk) every day.

But I found the following advise very useful to me:
If you don't want to go vegan you could always substitute lower fat and lower calorie options into your normal diet. Skim milk instead of normal milk. Low fat cheese (and less of it) rather than normal cheese. Spread your salad sandwiches with a little mustard for flavour instead of margarine or mayonnaise. Use fat free salad dressings. Use fake sugar or stevia (available at health food shops) instead of sugar. Cut down on your carbs. Check your portion sizes. Don't use oil in cooking, or if you absolutely have to use a small amount of spray oil.

Another option is to bulk up your diet with steamed veggies and salads. Make sure half your dinner plate is vegetables, one quarter is protein and one quarter carbs. Alternate days of cardio workouts with days with resistance or weight training. Building muscle helps burn extra calories while resting and tones your body so you look even better when you lose the weight. You could find something as simple as this is the way you can most effectively lose weight.

On building muscle, i found "8 mins abs", "8 mins legs" on youtube. I wonder if these exercises could help me or not. Do they help me build muscle ?
fiona_apple

Postby fiona_apple » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:54 pm

One more thing, reading new posts in this forum everyday really helps :P . It keeps me motivated and helps me resist cookies, ice-cream, chocolate, and marshmallow...which are always available at home.
fiona_apple

Return to Ask the Mob