It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 am

Free Newsletter

help desperately needed!!!

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

help desperately needed!!!

Postby Nunu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:43 am

So.... i got on the scales this morning, and i have put back on three kilos!!!!!! I know muscle weighs more than fat and i workout alot.. but three kilos... thats what i have lost in the two weeks prior... and now im back there... im back at the number it took me two months to get past... im really not liking this number...

I am breastfeeding, and everyone keeps telling me sometimes its impossible to lose weight while breastfeeding, others even put on weight. i thought it was the opposite. My brother, who knows alot about this sort of stuff is telling me to stop killing myself because its not gonna work.... is this true, even though i cut calories and workout constantly, it might be that i cant lose weight...?

This has always been a problem, i live in the extremes, and now i see why, because if i dont it seems i just cant get the weight to budge...

its killing me... i feel like ordering pizza

any suggestions :(
30 kilos and counting

lost for this week, 1.4 kilos... getting there.
Nunu

Re: help desperately needed!!!

Postby milkyway » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:03 am

Hey Nunu - scales are just one way to measure your weight and oh boy they do some kooky things sometimes. So many things could be influencing the weight gain - fluid retention from increased salt intake, TTOTM, lack of bowel movements (eew!), different time of day weighing in etc.

How do you feel? Do you feel like you've put on 3kgs? It doesn't sound like you feel like you've gained, otherwise you wouldn't be so shocked. Are you pants fitting the same? That's probably a better guide than the scales.

If you think it's an unwarranted gain, wait a few days or a week and see if it changes.

What's your avg daily food intake? Sorry if you've posted it elsewhere already, I've only just rejoined this fabulous little community.

I don't know much about breastfeeding not having kids so can't help you out there.

There's also a chance you might be not eating enough calories which can play havoc with your weightloss. Are there calculators out there for breastfeeding women? I'd imagine you'd need to consume a few more calories while breastfeeding???
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby electrongirl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:39 pm

The fact that your breastfeeding tells me that you've recently had a baby and you really need to stop worrying about losing weight and concentrate more on being healthy.

You need to be consuming enough calories for yourself and your milk production. If you eat good healthy food and exercise regularly the weight will come off. BUT if you push yourself or not eat enough your metabolism will slow down as the breast milk is the most important thing your body is doing right now and that's what all your nutrients will go to, leaving none for you.

So in my honest opinion I would take a step back and be healthy.

I understand that you want results NOW but that is not how it works. You need to take it slow. You need to be healthy and smart about it.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby mumnbub » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:52 pm

I agree with what the others have said- just take it slow and concentrate on being a mum. I knew I wanted to lose weight after my son was born but waited until he was 8 months old (i think) I was not breastfeeding so dont know how that impacts on things but i know that you need to consume more caleries when breastfeeding or your milk could stop. Are you eating the correct amount? have you checked out calerie king, when signing up it asks if your breastfeeding so it will take that into account.

I have been going up and down alot over the past few months and some times you just need to change one thing to get things moving again. The gain may or may not be fat but if it is then look at your diet and your calerie intake, while i dont think it is essential to lose weight while your looking after a young child you also dont want to gain any. In saying that, its not easy to look in the mirror and know you need to lose weight, have the motivation to do so but then not push yourself as far as you know you could just because your breastfeeding and looking after a baby but it is ok to take things slowly, there is no reason to rush just yet.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your baby and how much do you weigh? are you doing this for health reasons or do you want to lose some of that baby weight, if its baby weight then your body will want to hold onto that while breastfeeding so dont worry about that weight so much.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Nunu » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm

I dont expect to lose all my weight really quickly. i know that it could take ages, even years, and im ok with that. Considering how much i already weigh, i really dont want to put on more. I didnt think i had put on weight, i was expecting to be the same.
i take in the required calories, and sometimes even more if i feel my milk is a bit low, i know this could stop me losing weight... but i didnt think i would gain.
also i dont work out if im low, i just rest as that helps my milk go back up.
i try to take in like 1500 a day. as im breastfeeding and i work out everyday, sometimes i have more.
I know weight can go up and down especially while breastfeeding. depending on how much the lil one has eaten before hand and what not.. so i just hope thats it.

I got really big in my pregnancy, but i lost alot of it within the first few weeks after the birth as i had alot of fluid retention, my feet were round.

my baby is three months and a bit. I am doing this for health, i have always tried really hard to be healthy, only eating organic foods and such, trying to chose the healthier ulternative, but after a bad marriage i ate my emotions in my pregnancy, and became huge. I am in the lower end of the obese range. im 170 cm. i know its sounds bad... but i must admit, i carry it well.. if thats possible :|
Im just trying to get back into things, trying to pick myself back up. So i can raise my daughter to the best of my ability.

I am focusing on being a mum, and i do really care about health first and formost, i just think its difficult to be the best mum you can be when you have alot of extra weight that impedes on your activies.
also im worried its only going to get harder when i go back to uni, as i gain weight very easily, i always have done.

But you guys are right, i think it was just the initial shock of seeing that censored number again. Thanks heaps.. and also excuse me, im not usually a drama queen :oops:
30 kilos and counting

lost for this week, 1.4 kilos... getting there.
Nunu

Postby electrongirl » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:36 am

I understand where your coming from. When I was pregnant with my son I went from 49kg to 79kg. And I was eating really healthy. My mum & sister are both vegetarians and they were the ones feeding me and they don't eat junk. My weight gain was mostly fluid I think. I breast fed my son for 13 months and by he time he was 6 months I was back down to 55kg. (My boobs were MASSIVE from the milk so I think they weighed about 3kg each!! haha)

I didn't diet or anything, but I didn't have a car so I pushed the pram everywhere I went so I got alot of exercise in there.

Don't stress too much about it. Your weight will fluctuate because your hormones will still be going crazy and trying to compensate for the milk etc.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Return to Ask the Mob