It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Free Newsletter

Newbie questions

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie questions

Postby greenice » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Sorry for the long post but it's difficult to explain my situation.

I'm new to weight loss. I have been over weight my whole (but short so far) life. A few months ago I decided to get serious and exercised by walking home from uni and work. This worked great and by cutting down my eating I lost about 10kg. This was before I understood diet like I do now. the principle of dieting is using more than u take in so I just ate a lot less and exercised a lot more. I started reading about metabolism and I realized I'm slowing mine right down by doing this so I have been working on my diet a lot more. Right now I’m stuck on the same weight for quite a while. I don’t know what to do, I have joined the gym and have been training and doing weights so my exercise has gone up way more yet I still can’t lose more weight. Usually I do some light weights on my arms and legs plus cardio in the form of a bike or treadmill. Usually around 40-60mins of cardio. I aim for burning at least 500 calories doing cardio (that's what the machine says I have burnt anyway). Last week I tried training harder to see if that was the problem. I went to the gym 3 days in a row, on the first day instead of 500 calories I did 800 and put extra weight on for my arms and legs. Next day I did about 600 and day after that 500 calories. At the end of this I still hadn’t lost any weight. In fact after the first day it said I had put on 2kg. Right now no matter if I work harder or eat better my weight still just goes up then down within a range of 2kg. It’s so frustrating. I’m not sure what to do. I have read that plateauing is normal but this has gone on for at least a month. I’m not sure this is a factor or not but I have been trying to build some strength so I have been using weights for this purpose. I have gotten a bit stronger and I know muscle weighs more than fat but I don’t think this explains why the scale always reads about the same. I lost 10kg by just having smaller portions and walking home, now I go to the gym and run for much longer and harder, as well as weights and cutting all crap from my diet while watching what I eat, yet I can’t seem to lose anymore. I know my body is a lot fitter now but the difference in physical activity is much much more yet my weight difference is so small. I’m going crazy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My diet isn't strict and I don't count calories or anything. I just avoid all sugary and fatty foods as best i can. I also admit I drink heavily at least one night a week and because I'm usually pretty busy I often skip meals without realizing. I have found i have a considerable loss of appetite. I hardly get hungry anymore
greenice

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Czarina » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 pm

Check out http://www.calorieking.com.au. You can make yourself up a profile taking into account height, weight, activity levels, etc and it will tell you how many calories you should consume for a healthy loss of .5kg to 1kg a week. It will also take into account how many calories you burn through exercise (which you can eat back), so you can feel confident you are doing the right thing to lose weight. Works for me!
Czarina

Postby mumnbub » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:42 am

'There might be some foods that affect you, i cant eat bread anymore as if i do then i dont really lose much at all, so you might have a similar problem. Try cutting out bread and other starchy foods like potato and pastas- this might be what you need. Do you keep a food diary? writting it all down will help you understand what is happening and you might see areas where you can improve.

Remember, dont weigh yourself daily as your weight will go up and down from one day to the next- this is normal and does not mean you wont lose anything over the whole week. Do you measure yourself? this will show you any loss no matter what muscle gain you have- it is a great way to see improvment. The same goes with photoes, take a photo of yourself in your undies and compare them on regualar occasions- you will be surprised at what is happening under the clothing.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby greenice » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:56 am

thanks heaps! i gotta be more accurate with watching what i eat. i think cutting out bread might be a good idea, a lot of what i end up eating is that sorta stuff. measuring myself is also a great idea, i didnt think of that.
greenice

Postby Czarina » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:51 pm

You don't have to cut out bread, pasta and the like from your diet completely. Everything in moderation. It may not feel like you're losing much weight whilst eating a lot of these foods because they hang onto fluid. So you might just be holding onto some fluid. Salt may have an effect too, I know if I consume a lot of sodium, it appears that I haven't lost, or that I have gained, but as soon as I cut down on salt and get rid of the fluid, I'm back to normal! :D
Czarina

Return to Ask the Mob