It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Free Newsletter

How do muscles burn calories?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

How do muscles burn calories?

Postby greenice » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 am

When muscles burn calories does it burn them from the area where the muscle is or does it take it from your overall stored body fat? why i ask is if i wanna lose fat around the stomach should i be doing exercises specifically for that area or wont it matter?

Re: How do muscles burn calories?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Muscles burn more calories than fat while resting. However, this doesn't result in the spot-reduction you're hoping for. What it does is increase overall metabolism. It will burn fat equally all over the body. That said, increasing muscles in certain areas can help shape your body through toning. The muscles will become more firm as you work on them. If you're wanting to improve your tummy area additional sit-ups won't burn fat just from your middle, but it will tone the area a bit more. Another benefit is that if you increase the strength of your stomach and back muscles it will help you 'suck' your tummy in, as well as improving posture as you work on your core muscles. So you will end up looking slimmer even without losing most of the fat in your stomach region.

Hope this helps!

Postby greenice » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Postby Gordz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 pm

im trying to get rid of my mantiddies but i just seem to be putting to be putting muscle behind them :( too bad fat isnt spot burnt. im not shaving for a week just to save passers by the confusion :P lol...
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go

Return to Ask the Mob