It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Free Newsletter

Why can't I loose any weight?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Why can't I loose any weight?

Postby mytribe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:10 pm

OK, I know what you're thinking and I'm not lying. I am working my big bum off trying to loose weight and NOTHING seems to work. I am at my wits end and need some advice....

I have my 4th baby in October last year and with the support of my doctor I resumed my usual exercise and diet habits when he was 4 weeks old. Prior to the pregnancy I maintained a routine that involved a daily 20minute cardio workout plus 10mins of yoga/stretching/stringth training. My diet is always very low-carb and to loose weight I usually just increase the protien component of my diet. This has ALWAYS been very successful for me in the past. I have been doing all these same things since my son was born but over the past 10weeks I have not lost a SINGLE KILO! What is going on?

I currently weight 90kgs, my aim and ideal weight is 70-75kgs. This is what I weighed before I fell pregnant (again!) I continued to exercise throughout the pregnancy at a rate that was suitable to my growing belly but stopped at 34weeks when I was sick with a Flu. So when I beagn exerciseing again after bub was born I had been "off the wagon" for 10 weeks. So my routine is: 30minute cardio (jogging or cross-trainer) plus 10mins weight training (mostly upper-body) using free-weights or boxing. I have narrowed my diet down as much as I feel I can; very low carb and high protien, spaced out evenly throughout the day.

What more can I do? What am I missing here? Its so depressing when you work so hard but never see any result. I can see some positive results in the tone of my muscules but I am so confused that everytime I step on the scales there is absolutely NO CHANGE.

I'm sorry for babbling on, as you can tell I really need some help and advice on this. Please let me know what you think or where else I should go for help.

Thanks in advance,
Jen (mytribe)
mytribe

Re: Why can't I loose any weight?

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Have you talked to your doctor about this? I have no idea when you're supposed to start dropping the pregnancy weight, so could this be within normal parameters for post-pregnancy weight loss?

Could you be buildling muscle through your added exercise, or retaining fluid because of heat? If you track your measurements as well as your weight you might see some discrepancy. If you're building muscle then the scales could stay the same while your actual size decreases.

Another possibility is that your body has adjusted to low-carb so well it's hard for you to lose weight on it. Could you try a different plan for a while like low GI or calorie counting? Someties shaking your body out of its routine is enough to start losing weight again.

It might be worth going to Calorie King (http://www.calorieking.com.au) and creating a profile to see how many calories per day you should be eating to lose weight. Then just type in what you eat and how much of it you're eating and see what the calorie total comes to. While it doesn't sound like you're having too many calories there's a possibility you're having too few. If you're eating too little then your body may have gone into starvation mode, where your metabolism slows in order to protect you from famine conditions.

If you think it's a matter of being on a plateau Spark People have a good article about this: Plateau Busters

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Nunu » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:51 pm

are you breastfeeding?

because i just had a baby as well, and in the beginning i was having alot of trouble getting rid of the extra weight, although i still have to work very hard at it, it has started to budge... for now...

i was told breastfeeding can often make your body hold onto extra weight...
30 kilos and counting

lost for this week, 1.4 kilos... getting there.
Nunu

Postby mumnbub » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:26 pm

I was also going to suggest breastfeeding- although even if your not breastfeeding it is a natural thing for the body to hold onto fat as that is whats best for the baby- i did not breast feed but my weight would not change at all. It's not because of anything your doing or not doing- its what your body belives is right.

All I can suggest is take things slowly especially if you are breastfeeding. Continue eating foods that are high in fibre and protein and exercising at a safe rate (as discussed with your doctor) and eventually when your body is ready the weight will start to shift. I did not start losing weight until my son was 7 months old but then agian I had other issues stopping me from exercising up until then.

I would say just take it slow.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby mytribe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Thank you for the responses. You are all right, and I guess I kind of knew it anyway. I need to be paitent and not push too hard for it to happen "overnight." I am going to make an appointment to see my Doc next week and discuss this with her also. My diet and exercise routine was set out by a personal trainer after my 3rd baby was born (2 years ago) so I will also go back to him and see if maybe now my body needs something different to get the results I would like. Its been really nice just to get a response from you great people, to know that others are out there who care enough to give me some advice. I already feel better, thank you so much. I hope to be able to report back sometime soon with some more positive details.
Cheers and good luck to everyone on their own journey.
:D
mytribe

Postby Alexandra » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:13 pm

By my estimates, you've been trying for the best part of 1-2 months and you should have seen some movement on the scales - even if it was a kilo or so. What encourages me is that you are noticing "tone" which tells me that you could have lost body fat and gained muscle - however I am certainly no expert. What I do have an understanding in is hormonal imbalances that can make weight loss difficult. Can I suggest that you check that out with your GP. Things like thyroid function and estrogen imbalance (especially after children) can play havoc with metabolism and the perfect diet and exercise regime will not fix those issues. You may need blood tests to check that the bodily functions are back in check since bub was born. Best of luck with finding out what is holding you back and getting it sorted. Best wishes, Alexandra. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Return to Ask the Mob