It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Free Newsletter

Lost 15 KG (33 pounds) but now I am stuck – can you help me?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Lost 15 KG (33 pounds) but now I am stuck – can you help me?

Postby joe1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:20 pm

I am a 34 year old male with height of 175cm (69 inches).

Approximately 5 weeks ago, I weighed approx 105 KG (231 pounds, obese) and decided to try and lose some weight.

In 1 week I lost 6 KG, in first 2 weeks I lost a total of 10 kg and in the first 4 weeks I lost a total of approximately 15 KG, now (for the last few weeks) I can not seem to loose any more weight.

I am down to 90 KG (198 pounds) and have continued the same exercise and eating routine (see below), but for the last few weeks, my body just seems to sit at this weight, but I would like to try and loose another 15 KG (33 pounds) to get to a healthier weight.

Can someone please help me understand why I can not seem to loose any more weight?
Am I missing something important or not understanding something?

My exercise routine (for the past 6 weeks) has been jogging for approximately 1 hour each day (e.g. either "30 mins in the morning before breakfast and 30 mins at night before dinner", or "1 hour in the morning or at night"). I try to keep my heart beat between 110 and 150 beats per minute (normally at the higher end of 150).

My eating has been very disciplined (compared to my old self) with the following on most days:
+ breakfast = 1 weetbix with low fat mil and maybe a couple of spoons of low fat yogurt
+ morning tea = maybe a piece of fruit (if anything at all)
+ lunch = vegetable salad with a bit of protein (e.g. lean chicken or turkey or seafood)
+ afternoon tea = maybe a carrot or piece of fruit (if anything at all)
+ dinner = either a vegetable salad with a bit of protein (e.g. lean chicken or turkey or seafood) or maybe nothing if not feeling hungry or maybe some fruit or vegetables
note: maybe twice a week I will go out for dinner (and this is when I might spoilt myself a bit, but nothing absolutely crazy)

I am confused why this exercise and eating approach has worked so well for the first few weeks, and now I can not seem to lower my weight any more.

What am I doing wrong?
What could I be doing better?

Can you please help, as I am starting to lose motivation?

Re: Lost 15 KG (33 pounds) but now I am stuck – can you help me?

Postby mumnbub » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 pm

I personally think your eating to little for the amount of calories you would be burning- if your not eating enough your body will deliberatly store whatever is avaiable. Like any machine, fuel is essential and our bodies are no different.

Check out , enter your details and it will let you know how many calories you should be eating in order to lose weight. you can then enter your daily food intake and your exercise to see how it all balances out.

Too many people seem to think they just need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight but it could not be further from the truth- food is essential, you need to eat enough or your body goes into starvation mode.

You are doing great with the exercise but are you doing any weights? try balancing your cardio and weight training a bit more- the added muscle might make the scales go up a bit but overall will help you burn the fat away.

But after all that if it does not shift, just keep going as we all go through stages where we lose nothing but then it comes off again eventually.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

Postby Etch » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Agreed, sounds like your not eating enough. And never skip a meal mate. when you do that your body's metabolism slows down drastically in a bid to save energy. is a good idea. Also, what kind of exercise are you doing. Is it possible that your body is just starting to build more muscle in place of the fat? Try taking your measurments ( Waist, hips and chest) to see if they are shrinking. Dont get hung up on the scales mate. Sounds like your going well, keep at it

Also, sometimes the body just hits a platue even though you are doing all the right things, keep at it and it will pass

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.

Postby Skinnydude » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:44 pm

agree with the top two. aim for a kilo a week otherwise your body will get confused. if you aim to reduce your calorie intake by about 500 to 600 calories under what is necessary, then you will see better results. iv lost 13 kilos in as many weeks but its been stayin off because i have more or less done it right. and yeah calorieking is a very good site to use for this. does wonders

Postby stevo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi Joe,

One reason why you may not see the weight coming off any more is because you may have lost a lot of muscle. If so, your metabolism will have slowed down a lot which makes further weight loss more difficult.

With the weight you have lost so far, if you haven't done any weight training when losing the weight it is highly likely that up to half of the weight you have lost has come from muscle.

There are plenty of ways to rebuild your muscle mass without having to go to a gym. Please check out my website for more info. All the information on the site is free.

I hope this helps.

Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.

Return to Ask the Mob