It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:42 am

Free Newsletter

I don't know what to do...

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

I don't know what to do...

Postby Indi83 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:52 pm

I need help! I have about 15kg's to lose and I just seem to be stuck in a rut. I'm interested in trying meal replacement shakes but I don't know which ones to do (was think fatblaster but ???) and I'm also very concerned that if I try the shakes that I will end up piling the kilo's back on... :shock:

Do you think the shakes are a good idea or a bad idea? Maybe I should just suck it up and go back to weight watchers :oops:

Your thoughts on this or any suggestions for me would be muchly appreciated :D
Indi83

Re: I don't know what to do...

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Shakes work for some people. Others, however, have trouble sticking to them and prefer 'real' meals. The only way you're going to know if they work for you would be to try it. The good meal replacement programs give nutritional advice so that when you start including more 'real' meals you don't regain the weight. My MIL lost a heap of weight using Tony Ferguson this way.

Weight Watchers is a great plan. I did it years ago and lost a few kilos. Unfortunately as a student I couldn't afford to keep going. I didn't regain the weight, though, so I look back on it as a positive experience. It's good for learning how to keep the weight off.

If you want to try a meal replacement program I'd recommend talking to your GP or a qualified dietitian first. They'll be able to say if it's a healthy option for you.

If price is a concern, compare the costs of the two. Meal replacements are more expensive, but you save on grocery shopping. See if they have free membership coupons on the WW website. That way you skip the initial sign-up fee and only have to pay the weekly meeting fees.

You could even try a combination of the two methods: you could use weight replacement shakes for the first few kilos then switch to WW to lose the final ten or so kilos. That way you'll learn how to maintain your weight and you won't put it back on.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. :D

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:39 pm

i have been on shakes for almost 2 weeks and things are not changing- I could stick to it but dont want to if it does not work- did better on just eating properly. but i guess some people really do have success on them
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Skinnydude » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:50 pm

hydroxy ripped workout protein. i have been using this drink and it has actual helped me heaps. it is basically a protein drink you have after you do weights training but it doubles as a meal replacement shake. every morning i have one of these and it honestly keeps me full for about 4 to 5 hours. and decent flavours too like choc and vanilla so much better than other shakes. all ya do is put the powder into 500mL of water. so your also gettin a lot of water which is good for weight loss too. it also has a supplement in there which helps with the breakdown of fat. so one in the morning as meal replacement, one immediately after weights workout to help build muscle (which helps lose fat as well) and your laughing. and the best part is its only 150 or so calories. so 150 calories to keep you full for 4 to 5 hours, cant argue with that!!!
Skinnydude

Postby Skinnydude » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:58 pm

oh and another thing, some ppl say that using meal replacement shakes arent a good thing because they dont have a whole bunch of nutrients and vitamins that you need. but this shake has heaps of vitamins included so an extra bonus, plus it doesnt hurt to take it with a swisse ultivite too. badda bing badda boom
Skinnydude

Postby Alexandra » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 pm

It's really hard to say - I think you have to find what works for you because when it comes down to it, something inside you just needs to "click". The actual method is not as important as the actual person behind it and the attitude. Essentially, I believe they are all large marketing machines trying to make money because there is a great need. There are many of us struggling with this concept and no one really has the magic bullet. It comes down to hard work and what you've got inside - everyone has it - attitude and aptitude and they all basically work of the same premise with mild variations. Its just healthy nutritious eating with regular exercise - calories in versus calories out. I would steer clear of those that are less balanced (that try to eliminate whole food groups eg no carbs, detox, fad stuff etc) and those that promise the "too good to be true" claims.

My personal belief (and I have tried many of the meal replacement things) is that there is no substitute for "normal" eating - lots of fruit and veg, whole grains, beans, nuts, fish, eggs, meat, dairy, etc - just cut out the junk and have the things you enjoy in small amounts. Drink plenty of water (cut out soft drink). I think there is a place for these replacement things and it does work for some - you could try it. But for me, it messed up my metabolism and I found it was not something I could maintain long term. As soon as I stopped I put the weight back on with interest because my body went into starvation mode. Good luck with whatever you go with - you can succeed! Best wishes!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby Indi83 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks for all your wonderful answers! I used to do weight watchers and it worked really well for me- I let it down, it didn't let me down (if you know what I mean) :wink:

So I think I have decided that I'm going to do the "shake thing" :lol: for a couple of weeks, see how it goes and then maybe after that combine it with the weight watchers system...

It is so true that you have to find what works for you- no one knows you better than yourself!

Thanks for all your posts- you've helped me make a decision. I will update in a week or so and let you know how I'm going...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D
Indi83

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Looking foward to your update, Indi. Good luck! And feel free to start a progress thread if you want to chat about your weight loss journey. You can start one in the Personal Progress section of this forum, or in Curvaceous and Courageous or Almost There if you want to chart your progress in a more weight-specific section.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby DavidJanssen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:45 pm

im currently on Celeb Slim and is working like a treat, give that a shot... it comes to around $3 per breakfast/lunch
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXxQL1T/]
[/url]
DavidJanssen

Postby Etch » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 pm

With celeb slim how does it work? Do you just have the two shames ( brekky/lunch ) and a normal dinner. Or do you have fruit/nuts through out the day between meals as well?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby Indi83 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks to all! I'm just on here to let you all know that I've lost 1.8kg's (in one week) so far and am feeling great :D . I'm combining shakes, a diet filled with more fruit and vegies and exercise and it's going well. I'm not depending on the shakes as a total meal replacement which works for me. Hope you are all doing well 8)
Indi83

Postby stevo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi Indi,

I agree with your sentiments about the shakes. I have seen so many people follow that approach and pile the kilos back on after they use them. If you are considering replace main mains definitely don't do it!!

However, if you want to have 5 or 6 small meals a day (a great strategy) a low-carb, low-fat shake may be a good option for your mid-morning and mid-afternoon meals. Do not replace your breakfast, lunch or dinner though.

Below is an article I wrote on Meal Replacement shakes and what you should look for when selecting one.

You have plenty of options to help you get the last 15 kilos off. Please visit my website for more info and choose the principles that suit you and your lifestyle. All the information is free because I sincerely want to help people achieve their weight loss goals.

I wish you the greatest success with achieving your weight loss goal.

Regards,

Steve.

Here is the artricle Indi:

How to Choose the Right Meal Replacement Shake For YOU

If you are serious about losing weight, improving your health and boosting your energy, then you should endeavour to have 5 or 6 small meals each day: breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner and perhaps supper as well. Unfortunately, since we are all so busy with work, family and various other commitments, it is almost impossible to fit in all the meals. This where meal replacement shakes can help. They are quick, easy, convenient, portable and cheap. They also help to control the portion sizes of your meals. They can be used 2 or 3 times a day to ensure all your meals are consumed.

Skipping meals as many people do because they are busy forces the body to kick in its ‘Anti-Starvation Response’. This results in a slowing of the metabolism, a loss of precious lean body tissue, particularly muscle, an increase in appetite and an increase in the activity of fat-storing enzymes. Having a small meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day prevents this from occurring.

Since it is obvious that meal replacement shakes should be used by virtually everyone, it is important to know how to select the right one for you, when you should take it, what ingredients it should contain and what ingredients it shouldn’t contain.

Firstly, any nutritional strategy you choose to incorporate into your lifestyle must be sustainable. This means you should be able to do it for the rest of your life. If any strategy is not a sustainable lifestyle option for you then you shouldn’t use it. As a result, meal replacement shakes should only replace your mid-morning, mid-afternoon and perhaps your supper meals. These are the meals that are generally considered to be snacks. For most people, replacing the ‘main’ meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) with shakes it not a sustainable strategy and therefore should not be used; the exception being those people who find it difficult to eat first thing in the morning. In that situation a shake can be used for breakfast but then a ‘whole-food’ meal should be consumed for the mid-morning meal.

If you are interested in losing weight or simply improving your health and energy level then the meal replacement shake you use should be low in fat and carbohydrate and high in protein. If you want to put on weight then higher carbohydrate and fat levels are okay. For best results choose shakes that contain 15g-30g of protein, 2g-10g of carbohydrate and 2g-5g of fat per serve.

The primary protein source should be whey protein because it is the highest quality protein source available. Avoid using shakes that contain cheap and inferior quality protein sources like skim milk powder, milk protein isolates or soy isolates.

The carbohydrate should come from maltodextrin, which is a complex carbohydrate, or should be derived from the protein source. Avoid shakes that use cheap sugars like glucose, glucose syrup or high fructose corn syrup. It is also best to avoid plain fructose as a carbohydrate source too. Even though it is a low Glycaemic Index carbohydrate, fructose can be easily converted into body fat by the liver.

The fat usually comes from the protein source and as long as it is contains 5 grams or less per serve that is fine. Always make sure the level of saturated fat per serve in the shake is less than 2 grams per serve.

Meal replacement shakes that contain added vitamins and minerals are fine but are not essential. It is best to use a multivitamin and mineral supplement every day anyway simply because the levels of the ingredients tend to be higher than those contained in shakes.

If your goal is to lose weight it is best to mix the shake in water rather than milk because the milk will increase the carbohydrate content of the meal too much. If you goal is simply to improve your health or energy then mixing the shake in low-fat milk is fine.

Other factors you need to consider when using a meal replacement shake are: taste, mixability and cost.

It is essential that the shake tastes nice in order for it to be a sustainable lifestyle option for you. If you don’t like the taste of the shake then it is highly likely you won’t stick to using it long term.

The mixability of the shake is important too. Since shakes are supposed to be convenient they should mix instantly. You must be able to stir them with a spoon or put them in a shaker cup and have it prepared in a matter of seconds. There shouldn’t be any need to use a blender.

The cost of the shake is also a major factor to consider. They need to be a cost-effective meal option. $2-$4 per serve is a reasonable price to pay for a shake.

The meal replacement shakes come in a powdered form and are available in tubs, buckets or sachets. Any of these are fine to use. The sachets have the added advantage of being portable because they can be put into your handbag and carried around with you during the day.

Meal replacement shakes are rapidly becoming the fast food of the new millennium because more people understand the benefits of having small, frequent meals and the ease that comes with using shakes.
Stephen is the part-owner of Body Concepts and Focus On magazine. Stephen has been involved in the health and fitness industry for over 18 years and has a science degree from UWA.
stevo

Return to Ask the Mob