It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Free Newsletter

no work big loss

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

no work big loss

Postby Nunu » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:55 am

For the last three weeks i have not been working out and i have uped my calorie intake. Because i was in a constant state of fatigue, i was losing my milk (breastfeeding), and couldnt stand the thought of working out, so i thought i would have a break. i have still been eating heathly, and doing light activity when i can and feel like it. im going to start working out next week, as i feel alot better and the thought does not make me want to burst into tears.

In the last three weeks, i have lost 4.7 kilos......first week 2 kilos. second week 1.6 kilos. third week 1.1 kilos :shock: am i actually losing weight???? or is it muscle, because im not working out as much as before.

I do feel im getting smaller. but considering i have been on a big break for the last three weeks, 4.7 kilos is a big loss.

?????

answers will be greatly appreciated.
30 kilos and counting

lost for this week, 1.4 kilos... getting there.
Nunu

Re: no work big loss

Postby Nunu » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:20 pm

i just dont want the thread to die... :oops: sorry
30 kilos and counting

Nunu

Postby Mandie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Whatt is your calorie intake? You may have been too low before, frightening your body into "starvation" mode - with the increase of calories, you might be at a better level to lose weight.

Also, you mentioned breast feeding - most women lose weight with breast feeding naturally, and it can often come in fits and bursts. You shouldn't have too restrictive a diet while breast feeding,to make sure that the baby is getting optimal nutrients. The best thing you can do is eat a healthy, balanced diet and try to do some regular exercise, like walking. Much of the baby weight will drop off over the next 6 months naturally and then if you really want to you can try a more aggressive weight loss regime after you're finished breast feeding.
Mandie

Postby Nunu » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:07 pm

i was still losing weight before my rest/break, although i had to work hard at it. i thought i was one of the few women who didnt lose weight while breast feeding. my calorie intake was like between 1200 and 1400. now its prob 1700 to 1800, im not counting but i have a rough idea. i also take a vitamin for breast feeding women.
i am eating almost anything now, in moderation. or maybe a bit more.. even chocolate.

thats why im suprised at the loss in the last three weeks, thats why i was wondering if it could be muscle loss. As i was working out very hard for over an hour everyday.. where as now i dont do much at all. i do hope to start up again with in the next two days, but maybe not do hard.

thanks 4 your reply mandie....
30 kilos and counting

Nunu

Postby Etch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Weight lose is not about cutting things out of your diet. Its about having the not so great things in modration. Choclate/sweets arent necassarily bad for you, so long as you adjust your daily intake to allow for them. Im not saying have them every day. But a bit here and there is Ok.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsmzwGz/]
[/url]

For want of a nail, the horse was not shoed.
For want of a horse, the message was not delivered.
Because the message was not delivered, the war was lost.
Etch

Postby Nunu » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:19 pm

i dont totally cut things out of my diet, although there are somethings i think should be totally avoided, because the body is better off without them. Im a firm believer in "everything in moderation" (yes this includes chocolates and sweets), as this is what aids in changing habits, not just subdueing them.
30 kilos and counting

Nunu

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:57 am

I think Mandie's correct and your body was in starvation mode. 1200 calories is the lowest calorie allowance for most women before they go into starvation mode, and your body had the added calorie drain of breastfeeding on top of that. A quick web search suggests that breastfeeding burns over 500 calories per day. So when you subtract all the calories the baby was eating from your 1200 to 1400 calories it's very likely you were way under the healthy limit.

Naturally it's far better to talk to a real doctor than find this information using a Google search, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Mandie's a doctor so she knows way more about this than me. A private consultation with your GP or maternal health care provider about optimal eating plans for breastfeeding would be the best way to find a healthy way to lose weight while breastfeeding.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Nunu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Its funny, i went to see a doc not long ago, and i have lost over 30 kilos since i gave birth, 6 months ago.... i had the usual hard labour with tearing and stitches, then i became really sick with reaccuring mastitis.. so im thinking 30 kilos in 6 months, especially after birth is amazing....
Then the doc said have you lost weight? (by this stage i had lost like 20 or so), i said yes.. she looked me up and down and said well you better lose some more, and then opened the door for me to leave... i was extremely upset, i know docs are supposed to give advice, especially in regards to weight, but a pat on the back would have been a bit better.
I dont think im as big as what she made out, like my weight is so out of control she needed to use toughlove, maybe because i wear my clothes quiet baggy, maybe its misleading... i have 10 kilos until im back to the weight i fell pregnant at, so im a bit excited. and after that i would like to lose a few more kilos...

But yeah i think 1200 is too low... i was told that breastfeeding burns many calories per day.. but i started to question it when i found it hard to lose weight....

thanks EWQ....
30 kilos and counting

Nunu

Postby Mandie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:25 am

EWQ - got it exactly right - you need to eat heaps more calories when you are breastfeeding - balanced diet, so your baby gets all the vitamins and nutrients it needs!

That sounds like a pretty bad doc!! I wouldn't go back to her :( How dare she make you feel that way, losing 20kg is pretty damn good!!
Mandie

Postby Nunu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:30 am

yeh, the docs presence offends me, her bed side manner is extremely poor, its not the first time..... but what can you do.

thanks guys
30 kilos and counting

Nunu

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 am

Can't you change doctors, Nunu?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Nunu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 pm

shes not my usual doc, shes the one i go to when its urgent, and within a few hours of mastitis im on the floor shaking with a severe fever.. so i go to her if i cant wait, as my other doc is always booked out.
30 kilos and counting

Nunu

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:29 am

That's fair enough. I hope you don't have to see her again. And I hope your mastitis has cleared up. I hear it's incredibly painful.
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Ask the Mob