It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:46 am

Free Newsletter

Emotional Eating

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Emotional Eating

Postby Michelle23 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:55 pm

HI,

I am new and I was wondering if anyone else any tips on controlling emotional eating. Thanks.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6RaUn4/]
[/url]
Michelle23

Re: Emotional Eating

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:09 pm

make some lists:
1 what emotional eating are u doing? stress eating? lonely eating? bored eating?
2: list what times u eat bad like is it at certain times each day that its worst or only when u miss or dont eat properly for the meal befor.
3: what foods have u been craving each time?
4: find healthier or foods with less cals for each food in the list 2
5: make a plan of things to do when u start eating something u shouldnt like keep pepper with u so when u realise what ur doing that u put pepper on the food and maybe u can make that when u do eat something bad that u have to do a circuit drill to start burning those thoughts of eating???
GOODLUCK
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Michelle23 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks for advice. I have made this list and put it up on the wall so I will look at it before I eat. I love the pepper idea too!!! Most of my eating is boredom. Unfortunately my favourite thing is chocolate, so I am struggling most with that. Thankyou for your support, I really need it and thats why I'm here.
[/url]
Michelle23

Postby CrimsonThunder » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:39 am

Can you please explain this pepper thing in more detail? I dont get it. XD

And good luck with this. :)
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Michelle23 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:19 am

She means if I start to eat something I shouldn't eat, I should put pepper on it, then it won't be appetising and I won't eat it. Thanks for your support, you look like you are doing great.
[/url]
Michelle23

Postby foxyaussie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:31 am

That's a great idea!! I'm going to start carrying a container of pepper around with me when the urge to have a sausage roll kicks in. I can't handle really hot food so maybe having a bottle of tobasco sauce would help me too (maybe just one bite than smother the rest in sauce?) Cool, I love the idea!

Good luck with it all Michelle,you know you can overcome your hurdles :D
Another quick tip sorry. If you have problem with emotional eating (when you're down I assume?) Why not think of how great you are going to look and feel in the future and hence turn your mood into more of a happy one at the knowledge you are doing something to get there.
I know after I eat something crap or too much of something I feel so depressed and down, even if I was happy beforehand!? Play reverse physchology (spelling?) on yourself :) What works for one may not be right for someone else though but I'm sure you'll figure out how to best control your emotional eating.

Hang in there and have a great weekend everyone.
Jane:)
Heaviest Weight ever 82kg on 14/1/2009
81kg 15/2/2009
76.4kg 17/3/2009
76kg 23/3/09
75.5kg 30/3/09

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVb86a0/]
[/url]

Remember it's what's inside that matters the most.
foxyaussie

Postby Alexandra » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:04 am

HI. I think you have to look at the root issues as to why you are comfort eating. What makes you feel bad and why you are self-medicating with food. Have you considered some type of counselling to talk though some issues or strategies? If it's just boredom them you can fill in your day with other activities - plan some active ones like take up dance classes, go to the beach or meet friends, do your hobbies, take the kids out etc but if there are root problems causing you to take empty comfort in food its time to talk these issues out and get some help. Hope that helps, best of luck :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:53 am

hehe yes foxy aussie maybe one bite then hit whatever ur eating with pepper hehe.
Ive tryed stopping myself and thinking how good i will look when i get to my goal weight but that just doesnt work. I restarted again this wk and pepper or whatever i can find is the only things that work. Alot of the time i dont even realise what im eating and how much, my brain thinks of a certain food then boom im eating it and its all gone (ice cream, packet of choc biscuits, bag of chips) its ususally only one thing im craving whether it be some chocolate, or something crunchy but yeah its hard not to buy it but ive started making healthier options. i.e- buying better choice ice creams or when i get a chance making up my own fruit ice creams. btw: ive tryed finding other things to do and tryed planning my day out so i dont have time to want something 'bad' but that has never worked. Goodluck everyone.
soon2bayummymummy

Postby Robin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 am

Emotional eating comes in two forms:-

(1) connecting food with a particular emotion e.g. depression, lonliness, joy, pleasure etc. For example, you might find solace by eating chocolate (which contains "feel good" hormones similar to those when you fall madly in love).

(2) protecting yourself from some emotional experience (which you may not even remember) e.g. by being fat, you repel unwanted attention - perhaps from a sexual abuser or playground bullies . It might also be that, if you are a shy person, by being fat you avoid being asked to be the centre of attention e.g. in the school play.

You might also be testing or defiant - "if they love me when I'm fat, I will know they REALLY love me". Or maybe, "I know "they" say this is a "bad" food, but I will have it anyway - nobody is going to tell me what to do".

Food is hugely important in our lives - it is necessary for survival, but it has lots of other social, cultural, status, and economic/power implications. Disconnecting it from these until it simply becomes nutrition and an occasional pleasure is a hard balancing act to get right. At nearly 62, I am definitely still struggling... and dealing with newly remembered stuff from my childhood :?

We all develop emotional habits and survival techniques from an early age. Sometimes it is necessary to examine the past to unlearn redundant or damaging responses. If you find a therapist you feel comfortable with, counselling or hypno-therapy may assist. Listening to a tape of positive affirmations and suggestions e.g. Jon Gabriel's cd played over and over while you sleep may help (it has helped me and I am not struggling with emotional eating so much).
Robin

Postby Robin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:35 am

Using pepper or tabasco is a form of aversion therapy. To stop a dog chewing something, you make it unpleasant e.g by smothering it with tabasco.

You can also do it mentally. Every time you are tempted by a certain food, try to imagine how awful it would be covered with vomit (or something else you find really repellent). Imagine the smell, taste, appearance as clearly as you can. If you keep doing that, it will work. :twisted:
Robin

Return to Ask the Mob