It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:09 am

Free Newsletter

duromine and efexor

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

duromine and efexor

Postby sarahm » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:38 pm

hi. weas wondering if anyone is in s similar position to me/ i have been taking the anti depressant efexor[ venfelaxine] for about 6.5 yrs. it keeps me stable and sane! my GP initially prescibed me reductil ,then the chemist filling the script told me i could not safely combine the 2 drugs. i visited another GP who decided duromine was more suitable. the product info on duromine advises against using it in conjunction with any anti depressants. however my GP feels it will be safe. please does anyone have any knowledge or experience about this>dont want to end up in the loony bin!!! thanks heaps. :idea:
sarahm

Re: duromine and efexor

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 pm

You could either get a second opinion from another GP or talk to your pharmacist. I've been told by one pharmacist that their training is far more in-depth when it comes to what drugs are safe or unsafe to take in combination. She claimed that pharmacists often pick up on prescription errors, like in your experience with your first prescription. So perhaps it would be worth popping back to your chemist (the one who picked up the original error) and getting his or her opinion.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jisgone » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:44 pm

EWQ has it right :) docs just hand out any drugs they think will do the job, they dont know how they react with each other!
I had a really bad reaction to some drugs for my tonsilitis and my doc had no idea what is was and gave me a script for some cream to stop the itching and as soon as i saw the chemist he told me to stop taking what i was taking straight away and to go to the emergency room and get a script to treat the allergic reaction. He said the topical cream would have done nothing because the reaction was in my blood not on my skin.
Jisgone

Postby sarahm » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 pm

hi. thankyou for your responses. i did go back and visit my trusted chemist for in depth advice. he assured me i can safely take both prescriptions. will be under supervision by GP. so will continue on and try the duromine.
sarahm

Postby Mandie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Oi, no doctor bashing!

Although, it is true that your pharmacist does get more training on drug interactions - we learn a few of the main ones, but otherwise it's a matter of checking each drug when you prescribe it - personally I always look it up if I haven't used the drug before and aren't sure if it will interact with something else the patient is taking. But unfortunately there are a lot of docs out there who think that they know it all because they've been around for a while, so they don't bother to check.. how annoying!

So listen to your pharmacist, and check with your doc - don't be afraid to get a second opinion! We all make mistakes - sometimes we genuinely forget about something or accidentally write down the wrong dosage or something.. it certainly happens! That's why it's good we have pharmacists to dispense the medicine.. part of their job is picking up our mistakes! I won't tell you how many scripts I made out with some sort of error that the pharmacist has called me about.. :oops: fortunately no drug interactions or dosing errors, but I usually make mistakes with how many repeats I can give or number of tablets and stuff.. but yeah..

Lost my point a little. Basically doctors are fallible, so it's good to check around if you aren't sure on something. Pharmacists can be a great source of information, but they aren't perfect either - if the doctor AND the pharmacist agree, that's probably okay then!
Mandie

Postby Jisgone » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:18 pm

We love you dr mandie :P we wouldnt doctor bash you haha
Jisgone

Postby Mandie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:45 pm

LOL good!

I actually like hearing stories of not-so-good doctors - and why people found them not-so-good - because it motivates me to be better at what I do. After all, while the person I'm seeing might be the last on a long, busy day - for them, this is the only appointment that matters - so I still need to be at my best.
Mandie

Postby Robin » Thu May 14, 2009 5:31 am

I don't know anything about the combination of Duromine and Efexor, but I have a friend who has had good results with Duromine. His doctor only agreed to prescribe it because the risks from his morbid obesity were life-threatening - and only if he saw him very regularly for check-ups. He warned that it is a long-term process which still requires diet and exercise improvements.

Duromine can have some very nasty side-effects (like many drugs). Some people obtain it illegally and take it without having a doctor check its suitability or correct dose - with dire consequences. Do a Google search for "Duromine problems" or "Duromine side-effects". Consult your doctor if you have any concerns or questions about using it.

Make sure you keep going to your doctor regularly whilst you are taking Duromine.
Robin

Return to Ask the Mob