It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:24 am

Free Newsletter

Bad Habits

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Bad Habits

Postby peto2710 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi all,

I have tried numerous times to start weight loss, and go good for a couple of days, but I always slip into my bad habits, eg drinking iced coffee, eating bad things. How can I overcome the temptation to have these things?

Also I try to get up early to go running but can't get out of bed. Any help would be great.

I'm about 87kgs and would love to get under 80.

Thanks
peto2710

Re: Bad Habits

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:25 pm

There are two different solutions to bad eating habits. One is to modify what you're eating. If you find you crave iced coffees can you make your own that use no-calorie sweeteners and low-fat milk? If you crave potato chips how about getting flavoured rice thins instead? That way you get the crunch and the flavour but a fraction of the fat.

Another method is to go cold turkey. If you eliminate something you crave for a week or so your taste-buds will readjust and you'll find you don't crave it as often.

Another tip is to concentrate on adding healthy food in rather than cutting unhealthy food out. If you focus on cutting out iced coffee all your subconscious will hear is 'iced coffee' making you crave it more. Instead of worrying about the 'bad' food start thinking more about good food. Make sure you have two servings of fruit between meals. Load your plate with healthy salads and steamed vegetables at meal times. The more healthy food you eat the less room there will be for unhealthy food. What's more your body will start craving salads, fruit and vegetables over time making it far easier to stick to a healthy eating plan.

You can try any one of these tips or try them in combination. Switch to healthy alternatives where they're available, go cold turkey on items that have no healthy alternative, and add lots and lots of healthy veggies and fruit.

As to running in the morning: why not run in the evening instead? It might be a better way to ease yourself into a fitness routine if you're not a morning person.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mashoor1834 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:46 am

you don't have to quit altogether just keep moderation in mind. for example, if someone eats a whopper from Burger King once a week he can eat it once a month. so just eat bad food sparingly and keep them apart and every few months make them even more apart little by little so sooner or later you'll quit and never eat that food again.
mashoor1834

Postby whit3tig3y » Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm

I just try to focus on why I want to lose weight when I get that craving for something unhealthy.

When something in our minds clicks or we have a specific reason why we want to lose weight. It may have been something embarrasing, or that you have an event you want to lose weight for, or someone you want to lose weight for!, when thats fresh in our mind we're perfect little saints! But as the days go on that thought gets pushed to the back of our mind to be replaced with all the day to day thoughts we have about anything and everything. When you start craving, you need to remind yourself of why you wanted to lose weight in the first place!

As for not being able to get out of bed in the morning to go running, i tried that once and just didn't move an inch lol stayed in bed. Some people are morning people, some people arent. If you can't get up in the morning, don't push it. Do it in the afternoon or evening :) Its better than not doing it at all :)
SW: 139.3kg - 01/01/2012
CW: 136.8kg - 08/01/2012
Goal: 60kg

whit3tig3y

Return to Ask the Mob