It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21 am

Free Newsletter

Heart rate

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Heart rate

Postby lemmish » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:38 pm

I was flicking through Calorie King and came across the health diary.
So I entered my body fat % (eww...) and measured my resting heart rate.

Now, from what I remember from human biology in school (which might not be very reliable 'cause I didn't pay much attention :P) the fitter you are the lower your resting heart rate is.
The average in an adult ranges from 65-90 bpm and I was pretty shocked when I measured mine to be at an average of 56 bpm. I don't do any team sports, I've never been athletic, and I've only just started regularly exercising (just walking).

I used two fingers (index and middle) on the carotid artery in my neck, counted the beats for 15 seconds, and multiplied by 4.
To be sure I didn't miscount, or make an error in calculations, I did it twice more. Counting the beats for 30 seconds and multiplying by 2, and then counted the beats for 60 seconds straight. I got readings varying from 52-58 bpm for all my recordings.

Am I measuring it correctly?
And if I am, is this something to be concerned about?

On another note, I want to invest in a decent Heart Rate Monitor thingo.
Do you guys have any recommendations or tips on what I should look for?
lemmish

Re: Heart rate

Postby court » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:45 pm

It sounds like you are doing it correctly but your stats sound a bit off maybe? Unless you are very very fit?
I started my weight loss with a resting HR at 82 BPM and after 4 months of good exercise I have mine down to around 65 BPM which i am VERY happy with.
I have a POLAR HR Monitor...u get them from rebel. I think it was around $100 - i wish i had one with a backlight though cos i cant read it in spin classes :roll:
court

Postby Jisgone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 pm

I have a polar hrm too, i got it on ebay for about $60 brand new (usually $200). Alot of people buy them and never use them so keep an eye out for cheapie ones :)
Jisgone

Postby milkyway » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm

My sister has a really low resting heart rate. I think a lot depends on the individual.

My resting heart rate has dropped to the early - mid fifties after I started running. It was in the low seventies before then.

I have a Garmin - it's a GPS & heart rate monitor. It cost around $400 though - it tracks the distance I run/walk and my pace. After a run the data downloads to my computer and it gives me an elevation profile and works out how many calories burnt based on my stats. I love it!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Ask the Mob