It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:25 am

Free Newsletter

Separating fat from protein

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Separating fat from protein

Postby Amethyst » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:54 pm

How do you eat protein with limited fat? I added 2 eggs to my clorie counter and it upped my fat 6% What foods have protein in them and very little fat?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wx5Tquf/]
[/url]
Amethyst

Re: Separating fat from protein

Postby foxyaussie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, does the egg yolk cointain alot of fat and the whites are the main source of protein? :?:
I assume the eggs you added in your counter were whole eggs Amethyst?
Someone wrote an awesome recipe for a delicious omlette on here with the option of using egg whites only. The fat content was considerably lower using the whites.
Let me know how you go in your research, sorry I can't be of much help to you.
Good luck :)
Jane
Heaviest Weight ever 82kg on 14/1/2009
81kg 15/2/2009
76.4kg 17/3/2009
76kg 23/3/09
75.5kg 30/3/09

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVb86a0/]
[/url]

Remember it's what's inside that matters the most.
foxyaussie

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:30 pm

If you only use the egg white then you keep a lot of the protein but eliminate the fat in the egg. That's why egg white omelettes are often featured in diet plans.

Omelette with two large eggs and butter: 226 calories, 18.9g fat, 14g protein
Omelette with egg whites from two eggs, no butter: 33 calories, 0g fat, 7g protein

Other sources of low fat protein include:
grilled chicken breast, no skin (3.1g fat per serving - half a breast)
tofu (4.1g fat per serving)
chickpeas (2.2g of fat per cup)
cottage cheese (2.4g per serving - half a cup)

However bear in mind that you get less protein per serving from the vegetable sources, so while you're saving in fat you're also lowering your protein.

And don't forget fish:
tuna tinned in brine (2.2g fat per serving)

Some types of fish, like salmon, are higher in fat than skinless chicken breast but fatty fishes contains healthy omega 3 fats which are very good for you. You need a little fat in your diet anyway so it's best to make it as healthy as possible.

You can also add protein to your diet in the form of whey powder in your smoothies. It is high in protein but incredibly low in fat. That's why it's favoured as a protein source by body builders.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Amethyst » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Yeah It was whole egg. Won't make that mistake again. I'm not cutting out fat entirely. I'm not sure that's possible. What is the percentage of caleries that should be fat? And sometimes it seems as if I have to eat fat to get my calories up because I can't eat that much.
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm

And thanks EWQ and FoxyAussie
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 pm

I believe it's recommended that no more that 30% of the calories in your diet come from fat. However this guideline is for ALL the food you consume in a day, not each item (Susan Powter fans would disagree with me on this). So provided you are having a heap of fat-free veggies in a salad it's fine to have it with a serving of almonds (25g) for some protein, even though 72% of the calories in almonds come from fat. With nuts you would just keep your portions small to make sure you don't have too much fat or too many calories.

If you're finding it hard to eat enough calories then foods that are high in healthy fats can be really good in your diet. Nuts, avocados and oily fish are calorie dense so it doesn't take many to make up the caloric shortfall.

Also bear in mind that percentage of fat from calories creates a skewed result when we're talking about low calorie food. Tofu is only 70 calories per seving, yet a whopping 50% of those calories come from fat. Even though in a 100g serving of tofu there are only 4.1g of fat which isn't that bad.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Amethyst » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Thanks Again EWQ. I'll see what I can do about adding those to my Diet. I do keep usually fat under 30% so I'm not doing as bad I thought I was.
[/url]
Amethyst

Return to Ask the Mob