It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Can you REALLY walk the weight off?

Got questions about weight loss? Ask the mob, they're sure to have the answers!

Moderator: Moderators

Can you REALLY walk the weight off?

Postby MVick07 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 am

Hi all,

I've been doing some reading here n there, and well.. i Guess I cant help but be skeptical at times..
Basically, at this stage (im a student) im struggling to pay for the gym, hence im limited to cheaper methods of weight loss

I made a pledge last week to start walking (from like near zero activity)....and am currently weighing in at 95kg!
I started off with about 4km and pushed it up to 6km yesterday...(and im really feeling it when I wake up the next morning :()

I dunno, I feel that walking is a part of life, and therefore I don't really think I can lose much weight on this..... but I also walk at a brisk pace.. :)

Ive tried some more intense methods (running, sprinting etc) but my knees fail....
So is it true that walking will really help me lose some weight, at least to get to the running stage?
Weight @ 4/25: 95.2kg
Weight @ 11/6: 96.0kg CRAP!
MVick07

Re: Can you REALLY walk the weight off?

Postby Chiggy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:10 am

Hey there MVick07, I can honestly say that walking has helped the kilos fall off me in the past. Any sort of cardio exercise will work really. Although if you get to a point where you're finding it too easy, its probably time to change your walking route (ie, find a place with a steeper incline etc).
Chiggy

Postby Shalimar » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 am

For months and months walking was my only form of exercise (and it still is my main form of exercise) and boy have I lost weight, so my answer is yes :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby MVick07 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:49 am

Yeah so far I have been walking on quite flat terrain, but I know some hilly streets in my area that I'll step up to (pardon the pun) when I get more fit!
Weight @ 4/25: 95.2kg
Weight @ 11/6: 96.0kg CRAP!
MVick07

Postby Shalimar » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:07 pm

You might like to try beach walking as well if it is an option.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby BBgal » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi,

I can say that walking was the only form of exercise I had for a while, and yes helped me lose weight. I started at 20-30 mins and now have up'ed it to over a hour and wear leg weights and have even started a learn to run program. Walking is great for your heart, but remember the more weight you lose the harder it is to shift closer to your goal... so you need to build muscle as its muscle that helps burn fat. ( remember though if you do do some weight lifting that your weight may not "seem " to be shifting on the scales, but that is due to muscle weighing more that fat... go by measurements because that's the real thing we all take notice of ... appearance.) Also if you can try to walk during the day (early morning to avoid harmful UV's) as your body absorbs Vitamin D which is GREAT for your body and boosts the production of "happy chemicals" in your brain, making you get a " high" from exercising :)
Good luck and remember that if your creative you can come up with some cheap great ways to find exercise.
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Postby mashoor1834 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:41 am

of course you can walk the weight off. with some people that's their only form of exercise and they lost a lot of weight!! and if you want to start running that's even better so keep up the good work.
mashoor1834

Postby Riayn » Sun May 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Diet is 80% of your weight loss effort. If you have your diet right, then there is no reason why walking will not help you lose the weight.
However, if your diet is crap, then I am afraid walking won't really help.
Spud On The Run - A Couch Potato's Guide to Weight Loss & Fitness
Rainbow Of Chaos - The Life of a Thirtysomething Geek Girl

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 73.8kg
GW: 67kg
Riayn

Return to Ask the Mob